Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 12:27   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Lifejackets Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I'm personally not a fan of Hammar hydrostatic units. Difficult to correctly replace the unit and spares harder to give

Dave
Well one simple option now is to retain our existing ones with their built in harnesses and treat them as manuals ( pull handle or mouth inflate only and simply remove the out of date hammer units. The gas cylinders are available here if we do need to rearm those at some time and the existing cylinders can be easily check weighed before we put the jackets on board and into use.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

If a country requires you to have an X type of jacket aboard, get one and keep it at hand.

Then wear whatever your experience and comfort habits tell you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 14:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have a Spinlock harness/auto inflate vest that i'm very happy with. Lots of people like the Mustang vests at a cheaper price. Recommend use of the crotch straps that come with the Spinlock and are extra on the Mustang. Mine are the 'little pill' actuated releases. The actuators have worked fine, actually not worked, over many thousands of miles of sailing but have never been out in really really nasty weather with them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:25   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would also point out that many men need 275 N jackets to be effective. Can't count the number of times I see big men in wet gear , sporting silly 150 N life jackets.
Old 10-08-2014, 17:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would also point out that many men need 275 N jackets to be effective. Can't count the number of times I see big men in wet gear , sporting silly 150 N life jackets.

Another reason then to keep what we have in use as mine is in fact the 275N version and hers (and she is petite) is the normal 150N, plus we no longer have separate harnesses to use.
Old 10-08-2014, 18:55   #21

I really don't know if a foreign flagged vessel must meet exact requirements, but it's likely that the CG boarding officer isn't too sure either.

The poor CG guy has a job to do and a long form to fill out. The form is one of those from the 1970's for keypunching where there's a box for each letter. They have to fill in every name, address, license info, etc. I can't do anything about the form but I try to make the other stuff easy for him.

Since you don't need to wear your lifejackets in the US, just buy an inexpensive set as backup. Be sure to take them out of the plastic bags (a reason to fail)

Also check your throwable. It's simplest to buy a $5 type IV cushion. Liferings have rules about mounting and the line. The cushion is simple.

If you are over 40ft, be sure you have the following. I was asked for both the last time I was boarded (and the boarding officer seemed so impressed that I had them that the inspection was over)

- A copy of the Navigation Rules (required over 40ft)
U.S.C.G. Navigation Rules International and Inland Waters

- A Waste Management Plan signed by the Captain (required over 40ft)
http://www.safeguardmarine.com/image...ement_plan.pdf

Since you inflatables aren't being used as the required PFD I don't think it matters if they are out of date (although you'll have to decide if you care). Some Mustangs use the Hammer inflator. It might fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Surviv...0RAXQF3N85D183
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 20:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I really don't know if a foreign flagged vessel must meet exact requirements, but it's likely that the CG boarding officer isn't too sure either.

The poor CG guy has a job to do and a long form to fill out. The form is one of those from the 1970's for keypunching where there's a box for each letter. They have to fill in every name, address, license info, etc. I can't do anything about the form but I try to make the other stuff easy for him.

Since you don't need to wear your lifejackets in the US, just buy an inexpensive set as backup. Be sure to take them out of the plastic bags (a reason to fail)

Also check your throwable. It's simplest to buy a $5 type IV cushion. Liferings have rules about mounting and the line. The cushion is simple.

If you are over 40ft, be sure you have the following. I was asked for both the last time I was boarded (and the boarding officer seemed so impressed that I had them that the inspection was over)

Since you inflatables aren't being used as the required PFD I don't think it matters if they are out of date (although you'll have to decide if you care). Some Mustangs use the Hammer inflator. It might fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Surviv...0RAXQF3N85D183
Actually we are USA documented as we live here and my wife is American.
(although perfect otherwise) I know we comply anyway without using the UK lifejackets as part of our inventory. Yes the Mustang hammerunits might work or as I said we can simply use them as is and if they don't auto inflate just pull the manual cord. I will make a Skype call too to Crewsaver to see what they suggest and where if anywhere I can get the hammer replacement heads shipped to us here.

Incredible as it may seem, we do have a waste management plan posted in the galley and have a copy of the USCG Navigation rules for International and inland waters ( I found a cheap used copy on Amazon)

We even have 6 throwable cushions in a canvas 'box bag that doubles as a raised helm seat in the cockpit or an extra dinghy seat in our RIB. That aside we have a Life Sling in a fibreglass case on the stern rail and even have a lifting crane/davit used for lifting the outboard that can aid with recovering a MOB once brought alongside by the lifesling.

I was also advised we need to keep original registration/title documents on board and have these both for the main boat and the even RIB/outboard where they are safely stowed in waterproof pouches in an underseat waterproof bag. We even took great care to have nav lights for the RIB we carry in davits, that comply as the RIB is capable of > 7kts below which a simple white all round would suffice.

We spent considerable time ensuring our heads cum holding tank systems also comply fully whilst being as versatile as possible for offshore use.

as a final note we are arranging a free CG inspection visit to cross the remaining 't's and dot the 'i's' With luck they will give us a clean bill of health and one of their little stickers to ward off their colleagues on any future encounters.

Anyway, my thnks again to all for giving me food for thought and helpful advice.

Robin
Old 11-08-2014, 00:37   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

Amazon.com: Mustang Survival Hydrostatic Inflator Rearming Kit Ma7214: Everything Else
<A bit of thread drift, but if anyone can answer, I'd be happy to hear it.

We'll be sainling the US next year. Both up along the coast and then back down on the ICW. Our boat is a forty footer.

We have spin-lock vests - do we need to buy USCG approved vests? Or will the USCG grant comity as we are Danish flagged and registered.

I gather since we will be sailing the ICW that we will be required to have a copy of the US inland navigational rules - anything else required?

We do have a signed waste mangement plan although it is posted in the logbook - ok? or does it need to be in the galley?

Any other requirements?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:08   #24

Re: Lifejackets Again/UPDATE

WEll I called CRewsaver UK who told me to call Highseas Inn in Jacksonville who re the people who import the Crewsaver stuff. They in turn sent me to West Marine (who else) as apparently the re-arm kits for Hammar hydrostatic Mustang jackets work. So we spent a happy hour in West Marine daytona where the ever helpful Gordon not only found the kit for one of our jackets, her 175 Newton (35lb) version , but fitted it whilst we watched. Sadly the one needed for my larger 275Newton jacket was not available and has to be special ordered. However as the existing and original Hammer unit still shows green/OK I could even just leave it as at worst itis as good as most here have, usable with the pull cord activator. Other than that another option is to buy a 150N rearm kit like the one just now fitted and locate a 60gm (instead of 33Gm) gas cylinder to swap out the one in the kit with
Old 11-08-2014, 16:25   #25

I've had 3 types of auto inflatables and of course a myriad of regular types. In the end, I found one particular regular foam one best for comfort. Not to mention the upkeep required for inflatable types. Nothing wrong with the inflatables for sure, as long as they are monitored and fit your comfort window.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
<A bit of thread drift, but if anyone can answer, I'd be happy to hear it.

We'll be sainling the US next year. Both up along the coast and then back down on the ICW. Our boat is a forty footer.

We have spin-lock vests - do we need to buy USCG approved vests? Or will the USCG grant comity as we are Danish flagged and registered.

I gather since we will be sailing the ICW that we will be required to have a copy of the US inland navigational rules - anything else required?

We do have a signed waste mangement plan although it is posted in the logbook - ok? or does it need to be in the galley?

Any other requirements?
My guess is you are OK with your normal gear as a foreign flagged vessel.

The ICW buoyage is arse about face to us Euros and will have you scratching your head especially in places where the inlet channel buoyage overlaps the ICW stuff. I have a stick on label in the cockpit as a reminder to pass east of the reds and west of greens in the Atlantic ICW as otherwise confronted with a lone marker I doubt my own sanity.. Oh and port hand marks are conical and starboard ones square or barreL shaped to add to the confusion.

Other thing to beware of is having your holding tank valves tied or locked to prevent accidental overboard discharge and they do check this, Round hereabouts they can be really anal() about it and one local boat returning from the Bahamas was fined $400 by FWC Florida Wildlife Commision officers for not cable tying his back up on re-entering the 3ml limit. We have added hasp and staples and padlocks to the lockers our thru hulls are in as extra security with labels that say 'access to thru hulls only permitted by the Captain', but the handles are cable tied in the closed position/ divert all to tank anyway. ( I haven't however labelled the emergency 'pee' bucket by the helm as such,as it doubles as a holder for our hanging Zinc anode whilst we are underway to save it from soiling the deck). Of course if used it would be emptied into the heads and pumped to the holding tank unless clumsy old me kicked it and it emptied down the cockpit drains.

Beware the depths in the ditch in some locations 'cos bombing Iraq cost them lots of money and the army engineers it seems have none left to do their dredging job at home properly. when you get here join 'Boat US' at a West store or online and get Towboat US coverage for when you need a tug off the mud. It will also enrol you in the West Marine Gold loyalty scheme and generate a 4% discount on purchases, refunded as vouchers quarterly.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:48   #27

Boat: Orca 38

While crewing on a boat delivery from Caracas to Portland on a French vessel, we were boarded in Newport, Oregon and told that our life vests did not meet the USCG requirements.

We had until we pulled out the next morning to show them the foam, orange life preservers we purchased at the local chandlery that DID meet their requirements.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:50   #28

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Lifejackets Again/UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
However as the existing and original Hammer unit still shows green/OK I could even just leave it as at worst itis as good as most here have, usable with the pull cord activator. Other than that another option is to buy a 150N rearm kit like the one just now fitted and locate a 60gm (instead of 33Gm) gas cylinder to swap out the one in the kit with
I don't think it's just the hydrostatic trigger unit that needs to be replaced at 5 years. There could also be a tiny leak in the CO2 cylinder. The green indicator doesn't tell if there is any gas in the cylinder. I know a lot of people think that's what it means but it doesn't. It just means that the little puncture pin hasn't been triggered. So if it were me I would at least weigh the expired CO2 cylinder and than again every year until you replace the whole assembly with a new one.

P.S. I keep one full set of "expired" Hammar inflator kits in a cool and dry locker in case the vest is used. At least we will have something that will probably work until I get to a place where I can buy a new kit. There is little point in keeping a spare inflator kit on-board as it will most likely expire before I use it anyway.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 17:57   #29

Don't forget to have a no oil discharge placard. Seems to be the first thing they look for as well an flares in date and fire extinguishers in date.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 18:01   #30

Boat: Orca 38

And what about the bell requirement? I've never had anyone ask me for it, but there it is on the bulkhead.