Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21   #16

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Bobfnbw, IED, would that be an achronym for an external defibrillator or an improvised explosive device?
LOL... maybe have both on board for unauthorized boaders.... ?

But no I mean a External difibrllator. Never know when you might need one, and with all those old folks out there cruising... including me....lol.

Seriously though, with the cost of these coming down, could save a life.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:46   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Before considering the oxygen or the defibrillator, it might be an excellent idea to take a CPR certification course. While these two devices can be of extraordinary benefit, the sad truth is that unless a chopper can get the patient to a hospital within an hour, the likelihood of survival is not great. The oxygen tank, suitable for an hour, at 6 liters per minute, is pretty sizeable. One thing that may have some positive benefit is a single aspirin tablet, placed under the tongue of the victim. Then get the person to medical care ASAP.

At our yacht club in San Diego, unlike any other in the world, we have oxygen and first aid kits on every dock and inside the clubhouse. We also have portable automatic defibrillators inside and outside. Members and staff are provided with free instruction and Red Cross certification to ensure the best survival chances for our families and friends visiting the yacht club. It has actually saved lives. But then, we are only minutes away from advanced medical aid. The next step, for us, is to provide these to our support vessels during races and other events where the paramedics may need a couple minutes to arrive on scene.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47   #18

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Actually Roy both myself and my wife are critical care nurses. And what I know is that unless you have a defibrillator and o2 to resuscitate someone, there is no chance at all.

Sounds like your yacht club is top of things there.

The aspirin is a good to do in the case of a cardiac arrest due to a MI, but is of course useless if you got zapped by high voltage, drowned, or had a respiratory arrest due to chemical fumes or a allergic reaction.

A well found medical kit in the hands of a inexpirenced user is not much help, and even in the hands of a trauma physician may not be a lifesaver either. But given the fact that we spend a inordinate amount of money on our boats, I think a couple of boat bucks for some serious medical equipement is wise. Less than the cost of the dinghy.
Even if your coastal cruising, 5 minutes may make all the difference.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote