Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 19:34   #1

Life raft in Malaysia

I am having great difficulty finding a 4-person life raft in Malaysia (6-person would be OK). It seems that cruisers there have a very relaxed attitude about saftey equipment.

Does anyone know where to source a life raft in western Malaysia, ideally Langkawi or south of Langkawi? A used one that's certified would be acceptable (because we're getting desperate). We don't have time to have one shipped in (6 weeks, they say, but realistically it'd be longer; things move slowly there).

For anyone in Langkawi or thereabouts, I would be happy to trade an unused-but-expired Plastimo 4-man liferaft and money for a current pre-owned raft.

To get me quickly, please try private messaging.

Thank you!
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 19:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Life raft in Malaysia

Most suppliers don't keep expensive stuff in stock - especially in Malaysia. Singapore has a slightly more robust marine supply chain.

You may be able to source from these guys in Singapore - Yes not in Langkawi but if urgent you can get the bus down, pick it up and take it back with you, or they may be able to ship overland.

Inflatable Liferafts

Good luck
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 18:37   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Alas, because life rafts are 'dangerous cargo,' it's impossible to bring transport them by bus, and I'm told there would be issues with customs crossing the border.

Let this be a warning to anyone planning a long voyage from Malaysia. You'll need a few months to get a life raft transported in by cargo ship (two months plus another for all the bureaucracy involved).
Old 19-06-2014, 03:57   #4

Boat: CT-47

And why not just sail down to Singapore from Langkawi, and load it on your boat?
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
And why not just sail down to Singapore from Langkawi, and load it on your boat?
Good point. Singapore is definitely south of Langkawi...

Also I am not 100% sure about the "dangerous goods, bureaucracy, has to come by ship in 3 months" story - Sounds like Asian legend - i.e. often when faced with a difficult task (or I don't want to bother) locals will tell you that it can't be done.

Goods, dangerous or otherwise are trucked back and forth to Malaysia all day every day. What's the difference between a ship from "America" or a truck from Singapore?

@Lantau - Did you call the raft guys? Just curious.

Also what are you gonna do? Wait 3 months?

(Oh - BTW I was in our local chandlery this week. There is what looks like a 4-man raft in her shop waiting for a buyer)
Old 19-06-2014, 06:05   #6

Boat: Freya 39

You won't find anyone in Langkawi. People have gotten rafts serviced in Penang. I think these are the guys:

Ocean Success Sdn.Bhd
11 Lintang Beringin 1
Diamond Valley Industrial Park
Batu Maung, Penang
Malaysia

However, I have no experience with them.

There would be no major problem bringing your raft to and from Penang on the Langkawi ferry, if you wanted to leave your boat in LGK.
Teremoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 23:34   #7

Thanks for the replies. I've talked to dozens of people in Malaysia, Singpore and Thailand (Phuket) about this. Not surprisingly, I've gotten many conficting answers. We've decided to stop in Johor, buy a raft in S'pore and carry it to the boat. Some people say we cannot do it, but we're going to find out for ourselves. Plan B is to call into S'pore (adjacent to Johor), but that has it's own complications.

Again, for anyone who might find him/herself cruising in Malaysia, take note that safety gear is not easily available, and not cheap (I'm now cleaning out our bank account to buy new flares; I was gobsmacked at the price -- five times USA prices).
Old 20-06-2014, 03:48   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've talked to dozens of people in Malaysia, Singpore and Thailand (Phuket) about this. Not surprisingly, I've gotten many conficting answers. We've decided to stop in Johor, buy a raft in S'pore and carry it to the boat. Some people say we cannot do it, but we're going to find out for ourselves. Plan B is to call into S'pore (adjacent to Johor), but that has it's own complications.

Again, for anyone who might find him/herself cruising in Malaysia, take note that safety gear is not easily available, and not cheap (I'm now cleaning out our bank account to buy new flares; I was gobsmacked at the price -- five times USA prices).
Have you confirmed a raft here?

Clear into Raffles (Singapore) at the West end - If you are stopping at Dangar Bay (Johor) you will pass right by Raffles for Pete's sake.

And taking the raft to Johor has the problem of export you said you couldn't solve? Forget all the BS about needing a license, Harts, AIS and all that to sail your boat in Singapore.

Flares are cheaper here two - And while expensive there is a great Chandlery at Raffles in case you need a fire bottle, courtesy flags and a host of other stuff.

Seriously if my boat was floating I'd meet you at sea and transfer the raft to you.

Good luck!

Tags
Malaysia