Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 07:30   #1

Boat: Swan 432
Life Raft Cradle Orientation

We are in the final stages of life raft shopping, hopefully. It seems getting one question answered opens up two more. We are replacing a 16 year old Elliott commercial 6 man raft that is out of service ($1800 minimum) and would require yearly servicing. I really like the Switlik SAR-6 but with a hard case it weighs 121 pounds. My wife would never be able to lift it out of the cradle but dragging it to the rail is doable. Their 72 pound offshore raft is much lighter but that also means the tubes are not as robust. The existing cradle (which has to be replaced) on our boat is oriented so that the raft can move side to side. This would make it easier for us to deploy the raft. Does this make the raft too vulnerable to waves or to a knockdown? None of the Switlik hard cases have handles on the outside to make launching easier.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 07:40   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Life Raft Cradle Orientation

I'm not sure where you are located but a hydrostatic release is required in some areas, which I think is a pretty good idea. For this to work I think it would need to be open at the top. You could always run a line around (like a battery removal ribbon) for 2:1 purchase or to run to a winch to assist lifting. There was a good thread here a while ago with some useful information and a good link to an article on liferaft location. I'll see if I can find it for you.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 07:42   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Found it http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-144163.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm not sure where you are located but a hydrostatic release is required in some areas, which I think is a pretty good idea. For this to work I think it would need to be open at the top. You could always run a line around (like a battery removal ribbon) for 2:1 purchase or to run to a winch to assist lifting. There was a good thread here a while ago with some useful information and a good link to an article on liferaft location. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Our boat is currently in Newport RI and will most likely be in San Diego by next year. I don't want to rely on a winch or boom lift to get the raft deployed. The location is going to be on the cabin top. I am going to post a pic below and you can see the existing cradle (and its orientation).

Old 15-02-2016, 09:16   #5

I installed a ss launching rack on the stern quarter of my Pearson 44. The housing had a rear flap for deploying a suitcase type container. At night when either my wife or I were on watch we trailed a float-line attached to the raft. The container, including raft, was light enough (in those days) to float without being inflated. (Winslow 6 man). Also, I wired a trip alarm to alert the sleeping crewmember when the raft was deployed. The idea was if a mob was not injured he could deploy the raft by grasping the floatline. He had the option to inflate the raft or not depending on conditions. Never used thankfully, but great reassurance.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick sargent View Post
I installed a ss launching rack on the stern quarter of my Pearson 44. The housing had a rear flap for deploying a suitcase type container. At night when either my wife or I were on watch we trailed a float-line attached to the raft. The container, including raft, was light enough (in those days) to float without being inflated. (Winslow 6 man). Also, I wired a trip alarm to alert the sleeping crewmember when the raft was deployed. The idea was if a mob was not injured he could deploy the raft by grasping the floatline. He had the option to inflate the raft or not depending on conditions. Never used thankfully, but great reassurance.
I am going to mount the raft on the deck between the mast and the companionway. I am just trying to decide on the orientation of the cradle. Not a lot of room on the stern of our boat.
Old 15-02-2016, 15:33   #7

Boat: Nauticat 32

This orientation has the benefit that there is no need to lift anything (just open it). This orientation should work also if the boat is upside down when you need the raft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	119086  
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
This orientation has the benefit that there is no need to lift anything (just open it). This orientation should work also if the boat is upside down when you need the raft.
One more time, I am not mounting the raft on the stern or on the lifelines!!!!!!!!
Old 17-02-2016, 07:33   #9

Boat: Beneteau

Many experienced offshoot sailors don't like the raft on the cabin top because it is too hard to launch in extreme conditions. That seems to be when you would want it to be available to you. Boats with life raft storage always do so at the cockpit because it is the most protected area.

John Kretschmer has a terrible story that he conveys to his students about how location cost him a good friend.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Many experienced offshoot sailors don't like the raft on the cabin top because it is too hard to launch in extreme conditions. That seems to be when you would want it to be available to you. Boats with life raft storage always do so at the cockpit because it is the most protected area.

John Kretschmer has a terrible story that he conveys to his students about how location cost him a good friend.
But in that case the raft was mounted forward of the mast.

Tags
cradle