Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 16:42   #1

Life jackets. For a woman

I really thought this was going to be a no brainer when I stated my research but not so.......I have recently been joined by my partner aboard my sailing yacht. We plan to do some coastal and Island cruising. For obvious reasons the horse shoe life jackets I have aboard either lift and separate ( uncomfortably) or constrict and force into the centre.
I cannot believe I am the first or only to encounter this issue. So what's you do and what have you found. As we are cruising in the tropics minimalism seems to be an imperative. Any thoughts...
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 17:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Life jackets. For a woman

Hmmm, are you looking to survive getting dunked or do you just want to look good when they fish you out?

I have a good friend who lives in the Great White North... it gets COLD there. He says "staying warm is not a fashion statement"; he will wear the damnedest things in order to ward off the frosty devil. The moral of the story is..... survival has no eye for fashion.
Old 02-09-2016, 17:30   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge601 View Post
I really thought this was going to be a no brainer when I stated my research but not so.......I have recently been joined by my partner aboard my sailing yacht. We plan to do some coastal and Island cruising. For obvious reasons the horse shoe life jackets I have aboard either lift and separate ( uncomfortably) or constrict and force into the centre.
I cannot believe I am the first or only to encounter this issue. So what's you do and what have you found. As we are cruising in the tropics minimalism seems to be an imperative. Any thoughts...
Imo, no comfortable lifejackets come with beavertail crotch straps, or will right you nose up. So, you have to make a choice about how safe you want to be. If you're content that where you get overboard will have warm water, and that you will be conscious when you hit the water, you'll have more choices, but less "safety". Do some googling, see whats available in Northern Europe and Britain. Let your good lady choose. There are a number of inflatable PFD's, which are not too uncomfortable, but they tend ti float you nose down.

Disregard fashion, this is a utilitarian object.

Ann
Old 02-09-2016, 18:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't think Smudge is talking a fashion statement but fit for a life jacket with a couple of protruding attributes that ladies have. No experience with that issue but the inflatable PFDs seem to be the least restrictive. Pretty much lived in my SpinLock PFD 24/7 for 15 days and found it quite comfortable once I bit the bullet and kept the crotch straps fastened. Felt weird when I got to Hilo and stopped wearing the dam thing. Might want to check out all the various inflatable PFDs and see if one works for you. IMHO, none of them are worth a dam in saving your life unless you use the crotch straps.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:54   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://mustangsurvival.com//recreat...ion=recreation
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21   #6

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

There are several life jackets made for the wake board industry, for larger breasted women. The Jet Pilot Baller being just one of many: Jetpilot :: Baller Side Entry Neo Vest
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This brand (CREWSAVER) and model (Crewfit 40) has some good features to consider:

Automatic inflation.
40 pounds of inflation (more is better)
Soft harness loop in front, for attaching a safety tether when needed.
Numerous optional accessories designed for safety, such as straps, spray hoods, etc.
Reputable brand.
Street price = $169 at Defender

Crewfit 40 Pro USCG | Crewsaver

They have a more expensive (+$50) model called "Ergofit" and some less expensive models too (about $90)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	130537  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:34   #8

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

I have tried many brands, sizes, and types of PFDs, as well as have 3 or 4 different ones for different activities. My Spinlock (with crotch straps) is one of the most comfortable inflatables I tried. I don't like to be "smooshed", and in addition to being comfortable, I love all of the intense safety items.

I recommend that she try on as many PFDs as you can to find the one that fits.
Donna
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I'm also in the market for a new PFD. Although I like the self-inflating varieties like Spinlock, I know they need periodic maintenance checks and also know that wouldn't happen often enough on our boat. So I'm looking for the jacket type, one which allows for a comfortable fit across the chest, has crotch straps, and hopefully a spray hood. I don't think they're easy to find, but will be following this thread closely.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge601 View Post
Horseshoe or keyhole life lackeys aren't really meant for regular wear, for emergencies only. Just walk into any marine store and you'll find a better fitting life jacket for your first mate. They've been areound for ages. My wife's lifejacket (inflatable type) is many years old with regular service and inspections and is very comfortable for her.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:13   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
I have tried many brands, sizes, and types of PFDs, as well as have 3 or 4 different ones for different activities. My Spinlock (with crotch straps) is one of the most comfortable inflatables I tried. I don't like to be "smooshed", and in addition to being comfortable, I love all of the intense safety items.

I recommend that she try on as many PFDs as you can to find the one that fits.
Donna
Yes, you have to try them. My wife is a shave over five feet tall and worked at a chandlery. The crotch strap Spinlocks were the only ones, when adjusted for her torso, that she thought she would stay inside if thrown off a boat. The intrinsic harness and spray hood were bonuses. Nobody I know outside of weekend cottage canoeists seriously uses the old "keyhole" type anymore, save as pillows and bum cushions, even though we all have them for meeting legal requirements.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40   #12

I went river rafting last week. We all hopped out of the raft in the easy slow part of the river. One thing that really struck me is how high you float with a River rafting life jacket. I mean really high. On a woman your boobs are half dry. That high. Something to think about vs your typical sailing life jacket.
Sorry for the drift, has nothing to do with comfort!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:02   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

My wife found the Mustang inflatable with harness PFD reasonably comfortable. If you prefer a foam-floatation PFD, look on whitewater kayaking supply sites such as austinkayak.com - Product Search - pfd for women for PFDs specifically designed for women.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	womans pfd.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	130545  
Old 03-09-2016, 13:03   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Another vote for a self inflating pfd with crotch strap.
The crotch strap may seem counter intuitive for comfort, but it really the opposite. A crotch strap increases comfort by ensuring the pfd stays where it should be. On a woman the breasts make everything twist and shift. A crotch strap helps to prevent the that and ensure it stays down low instead od floating up in the event of getting pitched off the boat.

If your lady is smaller than average be sure to get her out to try the pfd on before you buy. They are all very adjustable but they b each have quirks that can make a difference in fit.
Old 03-09-2016, 13:48   #15

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

stormy pdf1
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote