Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 14:07   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Life jackets. For a woman

The Spinnlock has already been mentioned and perhaps a trip to the chandlers to try one?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...73023157649140
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3356__55803.1395986065.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	130550  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 15:30   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
There are several life jackets made for the wake board industry, for larger breasted women. The Jet Pilot Baller being just one of many: Jetpilot :: Baller Side Entry Neo Vest
Depends on what you are calling a "life jacket".

Those "Level 50","50N", "Type III flotation aid", "sport vest" type of PFD (designation depending on where you come from) are of limited use and in many places are not acceptable under safety regulations for the use the OP are contemplating.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 16:05   #18

Thanks all. Good advice and will be followed. With one exception....To the angry idiot who thinks its OK to send a worthless response with absolutely no value except perhaps to make him feel better about his own (I would guess) single lifestyle. So Thanks for your contribution buddy hope you feel it was worth it.....Everyone else Isn't it nice to be part of a supportive informed community.
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 16:31   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

"Informed" is relative. To how deep you dig, & who's "information" you're listening to. As believe it or not, a lot of information get left on the cutting room floor. Because it's not part of the program, not PC, not profitable, or...

And BTW, there IS such a thing as too much buoyancy. Ever try & swim with 40lbs of buoyancy vs 15lbs? How about climbing back into a boat with that much on? So what then?
Just a think. Or rather it's something worth thinking on, if you hadn't. Don't give up that task to someone else.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 16:36   #20

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

https://www.stormylifejackets.com.au...ket-pink-180n/

if us blokes wear the pink ones we get whistled at / might work for you to / stormy seas are designed to be worn as clothing
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 17:26   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

knockabout, that's a neat idea! I hadn't seen a PFD like that. It bears further investigation. Thanks for sharing.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 19:14   #22

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge601 View Post
I really thought this was going to be a no brainer when I stated my research but not so.......I have recently been joined by my partner aboard my sailing yacht. We plan to do some coastal and Island cruising. For obvious reasons the horse shoe life jackets I have aboard either lift and separate ( uncomfortably) or constrict and force into the centre.
I cannot believe I am the first or only to encounter this issue. So what's you do and what have you found. As we are cruising in the tropics minimalism seems to be an imperative. Any thoughts...
When we put lifejackets on our boat back in 2012, we looked at various options but ended up with Plastimo Pilot self-inflating with crotch straps and spray hoods. We got enough to get us and any guests by, with the idea of getting another pair just for the two of us at a later date, when we had more time to try on the more high-end lifejackets.

Well, many boat shows later, we have tried the latest and greatest, and ended up ordering another couple of the Plastimo Pilots. They sit flat, you forget you have them on, and Karen especially, finds them the most comfortable over the more compact, and supposedly more advanced designs.

We were a bit disappointed by that, as we hope to have a better pair for Skipper and First Mate, but it seems the Pilots were 'the better pair' - in our case anyway.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote