Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21   #91

Re: Life Jackets

Everyone always wears lifejackets on my boat. I have 3 inflatables, which are tested by inflating them once a year and waiting a couple of hours. If the cartridge etc is near to out of date, I test it by activating the mechanism. Otherwise, inflate by mouth.

However, If I knew I was going in the water (boat sinking), I would take the inflatable off and put on a foam one. They provide some insulation to the body's core.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:29   #92

"You gotta be wearing the inflatable type to be legal unless you have some other PFD in the cockpit with you."

Not strictly speaking accurate. You have to have USCG-approved lifejackets easily accessible for everyone on board. I've never had any grief about having the foam ones in a cupboard below, while wearing the Mustangs.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:32   #93

Boat: B24

I can’t say we wear our all the time, but a lot more than we used to – both of us are north of 70 and we’ve become aware that our swimming ability in the best of circumstances isn’t what it used to be so we don larger type IIIs much of the time. We wear ours all the time after dark or anytime there is only one on deck – frankly I don’t think my mate is up to successfully completing a MOB drill, so I’m on my own and even if she goes over the side, MOB rescue wouldn’t be instantaneous so flotation is the minimum requirement even when just heading down the river or into the Bay. We’ve thought about inflatable for summer use, but so far have stayed with the type III vests. Generally we're fair-weather sailors nowadays, so genuine cold water is something we avoid.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58   #94

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Does anyone know if there are more options besides Salus for an inherently buoyant PFD (foam-filled) that has suitable D-rings for a tether?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salus_costal_screenshot.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	189379  
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
A few years back my RYA instructor summed it up as follows
Overboard with no PFD 0% chance of survival
Overboard with PFD 50% chance
All with a drilled and trained crew
Without specific situational conditions...that's absolutely false.

Of course, that's the whole issue. Most people take a risk management approach even if they don't realize it (hence wear them when weather gets bad). Of course, many will also factor in short handed, offshore vs inshore and possibly other considerations.

The real question is assessing the relative risks under different conditions so we can determine what situations should demand usage and what situations it's not needed.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:33   #96
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

An interesting example of survey bias. Below is a USCG report of observed wear rates.

http://uscgboating.org/library/natio...udy-Report.pdf

On cabin sailboats it was 18.8% last year, including all risk factors. In fair weather with crew it was just 6%, increasing to 24% with risk factors.

(I can probably tick most of these, most of the time. I'm guessing my wear patterns are near the average.)

43 Cabin Sailboats:The following eight “risky” conditions were significantly related to higher life jacket wear rates among adult boaters:

1.Cold water temperatures below 65°F
2.Cold air temperatures below 70°F

3.Choppy/rough waves
4.Raining/storming weather

5.High wind speeds of 6 or more knots

6.Small boat size < 26 feet long
7.Fishing/racing activities
8.Sailing/motoring movement
Old 04-04-2019, 11:44   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
The Spinlock 5d life jacket seems to have great features. I am not finding other brands with built in sprayhoods, lighting. Any competition in this class of jacket?
All of the better life jackets have spray hoods and lights. Those are a must. Our 10 year old Seagos have them.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46   #98

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Without specific situational conditions...that's absolutely false.

Of course, that's the whole issue. Most people take a risk management approach even if they don't realize it (hence wear them when weather gets bad). Of course, many will also factor in short handed, offshore vs inshore and possibly other considerations.

The real question is assessing the relative risks under different conditions so we can determine what situations should demand usage and what situations it's not needed.

Yes, and not just risk assessment, but also cost-benefit as well. The 'cost' of wearing a lifejacket is measured in comfort and ease of use, as well as direct financial cost. My calculus explicitly includes this wearability factor.

I always have my inflatable on when we're underway. In my cruising area (generally cooler) I barely even notice it, so it gets worn virtually all the time. But I would not wear a bulky foam lifejacket all the time. In fact, as a wilderness canoeist I rarely wore my lifejacket at all, even though the risk was higher.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:00   #99
cruiser

We just got back from West Marine where they had a Spinlock DeckVest 5D to try on, they fit great and certainly take a load of one's neck. So we're waiting to see when West Marine can deliver two of the hydrostatic models. They're definitely a cut above the rest and seem well worth the price difference, especially if we'll be more comfortable while wearing them ($379 each). The only thing, we couldn't figure out how the crotch straps attach in the back.

Thanks again for the recommendation, we wouldn't have found out about the Spinlocks if it hadn't been for this thread.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:40   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We just got back from West Marine where they had a Spinlock DeckVest 5D to try on, they fit great and certainly take a load of one's neck. So we're waiting to see when West Marine can deliver two of the hydrostatic models. They're definitely a cut above the rest and seem well worth the price difference, especially if we'll be more comfortable while wearing them ($379 each). The only thing, we couldn't figure out how the crotch straps attach in the back.

Thanks again for the recommendation, we wouldn't have found out about the Spinlocks if it hadn't been for this thread.

Ken, the straps can be a bit fiddly until you get used to them. I'm pretty sure that on the Spinlock site is a video of how to fit the straps
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:49   #101
cruiser

The Spinlock Rep just called, apparently the hydrostatic model of the Deckvest 5D is no longer in production, just the Pro Sensor model like Dockhead purchased.

If I want hydrostatic, I’ll need to upgrade to the Spinlock VITO model for an additional $20 which I’ll most likely purchase.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:52   #102

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:44   #103

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Personally I do not like the 275 SOLAS life jackets. They are just to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. And a hindrance if you have to work on deck. In the water, they hinder you a lot if you want to swim anywhere. For me they are perfect if you for example drive an FRB, but not for sailing.

Spinlock Deckvests are perfectly comfortable. I would go for the lighter versions. Maybe keep two of the 270 for bad weather watches.

I seldom wear life jackets myself. Unless conditions are bad. Nighttime of course life jackets and tether are obligatory for the watch and also if somebody wants to leave the forward cockpit.

Best practice is for nobody to fall overboard, especially not nighttime.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:04   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recy View Post

The trick with the Pro Sensor actuators is that they are shielded so that they will actuate only with water which comes from below, or from immersion.

I've used them for 10 years without any problems.

The Hammar actuators are better because they simply CAN'T actuate without being immersed. So if you are working the bow in a storm with green water washing over you, this will be better, especially on smaller boats.

But they are bulkier, and will cost you every two years every time you replace the firing head, so probably not a good idea unless you really do sail in such conditions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-04-2019, 08:07   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Personally I do not like the 275 SOLAS life jackets. They are just to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. And a hindrance if you have to work on deck. In the water, they hinder you a lot if you want to swim anywhere. For me they are perfect if you for example drive an FRB, but not for sailing.

Spinlock Deckvests are perfectly comfortable. I would go for the lighter versions. Maybe keep two of the 270 for bad weather watches.

I seldom wear life jackets myself. Unless conditions are bad. Nighttime of course life jackets and tether are obligatory for the watch and also if somebody wants to leave the forward cockpit.

Best practice is for nobody to fall overboard, especially not nighttime.

I would tend to agree with you about the 275N jackets, having been using them for the last 10 years.

I will continue to wear my trusty Seago 275N in very bad weather, however. You might really want the extra buoyancy if you are wearing a ton of cold weather gear.

Kenomac, did you order the Ocean Safety MOB1 AIS beacon to go with your new life jackets? It is fantastic how they integrate with the jacket, and amazing how small they are. This will save your bacon if you go over in any kind of weather, or at night.
Walt Whitman