Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 20:57   #1

Boat: Westsail 43 - Cavalo
Life Jacket While Tethered?

Hi everyone,

I am new to sailing, and am planning on heading South on a long term sailing trip come September. (Don't worry, my boyfriend grew up sailing!) We are trying to figure out the best/ safest, tethering method and equipment to go with. This got me thinking, does one wear a life vest while tethered?
Any thoughts or insight on what is best for cruising in general, night watch and ocean passages?
Thank you for any help & recommendations!

Lindsay
www.cavaloatsea.com
Cavalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Life Jacket While Tethered?

Many people have auto-inflate PFDs with built-in harnesses. We use these aboard VALIS and they are fairly comfortable and convenient:

Mustang Inflatable PFD

Several other manufacturers have similar PFDs -- Spinlock, West Marine, and no doubt others. Some people don't like inflatable PFDs, and I suggest you research the pros and cons.

You might also want to look at the Offshore Special Regulations and see what they say about PFDs, harnesses, tethers, jacklines, and other safety gear. These are the rules for ocean racers, but they are based on many years of experience and research, and all sailors can learn something from them.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Based on comments on past threads here, some life vests (both inflatable and non-inflatable) are more comfortable for women than others. You might want to do some Googling on the topic before purchasing. The good ones aren't cheap, so you want to do it right the first time.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalo
Hi everyone,

I am new to sailing, and am planning on heading South on a long term sailing trip come September. (Don't worry, my boyfriend grew up sailing!) We are trying to figure out the best/ safest, tethering method and equipment to go with. This got me thinking, does one wear a life vest while tethered?
Any thoughts or insight on what is best for cruising in general, night watch and ocean passages?
Thank you for any help & recommendations!

Lindsay
www.cavaloatsea.com
I use exclusively a big auto inflate lifejacket with a integral harness.. It's the best solution IMHO

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 06:12   #5

In shitty weather and at night I wear my pfd with built in harness in good weather I wear just a harness and stay tethered most of the time.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11   #6

Boat: Hunter 410 41'

My wife and I tried on the new Spinlock Deckvest w/ built in harness, spray hood, light pilon, built in tether cutter and optional crotch straps.

It was very comfortable for both of us to wear. We've worn SOSpenders for years and will be upgrading the these before we leave.

jnrdafoe
jnrdafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

+1 for inflatable with harness. I keep one in my boat bag and where it as needed. I test is annually with a big jump in the water. It is amazing how well it works.

If you can try them on before purchasing. Find one that fits your body. What feels right to you might not feel right for your boyfriend.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26   #8

The Revere inflatable PFDs are a little more comfortable for women. Offshore we always wear PFDs and tethers, never leave the cockpit unless the other person is on deck. We believe that off the boat = dead. That said, I'm very interested in the new personal AIS which will locate a COB. We fear the most likely scenario is the off watch wakes, stumbles up to the cockpit only to find it empty. An AIS on the COB would save a life we hope.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if yu are going to tether, might just as well use a tether with incorporated pfd. you will need it all if you go over the side. and think about it--if you are going to use a tether, what is the sense of not wearing pfd????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if yu are going to tether, might just as well use a tether with incorporated pfd. you will need it all if you go over the side. and think about it--if you are going to use a tether, what is the sense of not wearing pfd????
Some singlehanded sailors skip the PFD and wear *only* harness / tethers when on the high seas. Their thinking is that they need to stay connected to the boat, and if the boat somehow sails away from them then nobody's going to be able to get to them in time.

I've not singlehanded across an ocean, but I would probably wear the PFD / harness, and carry a Personal Locator Beacon on the remote chance that I could survive long enough to be rescued. At least my body might be recovered...
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:50   #11

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Many people have auto-inflate PFDs with built-in harnesses. We use these aboard VALIS and they are fairly comfortable and convenient:

Mustang Inflatable PFD

Several other manufacturers have similar PFDs -- Spinlock, West Marine, and no doubt others. Some people don't like inflatable PFDs, and I suggest you research the pros and cons.

You might also want to look at the Offshore Special Regulations and see what they say about PFDs, harnesses, tethers, jacklines, and other safety gear. These are the rules for ocean racers, but they are based on many years of experience and research, and all sailors can learn something from them.
+1. I also recommend the tethers with two attachment points, one at 3 ft. the other at 6 ft. The last thing you want to do when singlehanding is to get dragged along the side of the boat, so I attach at 3 ft. wherever possible.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07   #12

Boat: Westsail 43 - Cavalo

Thanks everyone, this gives me a better idea of what the norm is. I will check out all your recommendations! Taking a Safety at Sea Seminar next weekend which I'm sure will shed some more light on tethering etc.
Cavalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:05   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

I think it is most comfortable to have stand alone harnesses for calm days and especially so in the tropics.

We have tethers with two hooks: one long, one short, no snapshackle; in retrospective, I would buy the same stuff except I like better the kind where the longer tether is of the 'expandable' design.

We use the tethers:
- always in bad weather,
- always at night,
- in rolly / iffy conditions.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:37   #14

Boat: Cape George 36

I have harness/tether with inflatable PFD configured for MANUAL inflation. The harness has a quick release latch. Thus, I reckon I can adapt to most anything and need not trade agility for flotation until I actually need flotation.

Also, I have had an automatic inflatable fire while crewing in heavy rain. I would rather it not do that.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:44   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Life Jacket While Tethered?

Being an irresposible idiot I use neither... but if you are going to use a tether I reckon common sense dictates an automatic PFD as well... tethers have been known to break under load..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote