Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 13:56   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Life Jacket While Tethered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't understand why you'd want to be able to open the carabiner on the end of the tether while it's under load. If you're dangling on the opposite end, you couldn't reach it anyway.

By the way, the Wichard double safety carabiner can be opened with one hand, just like a standard carabiner.
+1!

Yep. The hook at the harness end can be either kind. I believe it is (ORC or the like) requirement to have the snap shackle type.

But since not all of us are members of the ORC (or the like) then we can chose if we want to die on the Wichard hook or rather risk accidental opening of the snap shackle and so drifting into oblivion.

I believe once we are harnessed and tethered properly we have already reduced 99.9% of the risk. The remaining 0.1% may be a good subject of dispute at CF but otherwise insignificant.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosimp3 View Post
Great idea! During practice MOB drills, I have hauled myself back at about 5 kts, and it was brutal...
At 5 knots that is 8.5 Feet per second, how did you grab the line? what diameter was the line? were you stationary at the time,? did you have an inflated PFD on? I do like the idea of a trip line but it would need to be in excess of 220ft long.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
At 5 knots that is 8.5 Feet per second, how did you grab the line? what diameter was the line? were you stationary at the time,? did you have an inflated PFD on? I do like the idea of a trip line but it would need to be in excess of 220ft long.
CF would not let me edit, so I will do it here. if you weigh 200lb and are stationary the shock loading at 8.5 ft/s (not including any resistance water) would be 1700lbs, that is quite a feat.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:54   #34

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Simply, I jumped (no PFD) overboard the 26' sloop, leaving my mate at the helm. I swam to the center line if the boat and to the line while he maintained course. If I recall correctly, I intercepted about 2/3 towards the end of the line. It was a hard slog back towards the boat. I pulled hand over hand and rested on my back while body surfing on the surface. I suppose the line as 3/8". I will be the first to admit that in the event of falling overboard, if the MOB is not prepared to swim to center line immediately, there is a good change they would miss the tow line. Those are the facts as I recall them, and we have performed this drill at least a dozen times. I didn't bother constructing a mathematical model to validate my personal experience.
Old 08-05-2012, 13:21   #35
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Always keep in mind you could be knocked unconscious during whatever mayhem landed you in the water at the end of that tether. A life jacket could be a plus.
Old 08-05-2012, 13:24   #36

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Always keep in mind you could be knocked unconscious during whatever mayhem landed you in the water at the end of that tether. A life jacket could be a plus.
Then I'm dead anyhow.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 17:20   #37

Boat: Open 8 Sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
As for using regular non-locking carabiners -- don't! As has been mentioned, they really do open very easily when hooked to a padeye. It's pretty amazing how easily they open...
Climbers always use screwgate or twistlock carabiners for critical things like tying on to the main belay. These can usually be opened under load if necessary though it depends on the design and degree of load. If you don't have a screwgate crab simply use two normal ones in parallel with one reversed so the gate is on the opposite side.

Admittedly there have been (rather rare) incidents where a screwgate was unscrewed by a rope running through, the answer to this is not to have the crab attached directly to a fixed anchorpoint which would hold it in a particular orientation. If it is attached via a sling or rope loop to the fixed anchor so that it has room to move then a rope pressing against the gate will tend to push the whole device rather than open the gate.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:23   #38

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Being an irresposible idiot I use neither... but if you are going to use a tether I reckon common sense dictates an automatic PFD as well... tethers have been known to break under load..
Yes you are. hahahaha. What did Magellan use I wonder.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote