Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 19:06   #1

Life Jacket for the larger individual?

I am 6'4" and just over 350lbs. My waist is size 58.

I want to buy a PFD and have no idea which ones will fit me. My goal would be something with a built in harness that I could attach to jacklines.

The only thing I have found that even advertises that they fit the larger individual is the Onyx A or M 33. But the harness of an M33 seems, from pictures, to be missing D rings. I would add crotch straps.

Thoughts, anyone?
Brasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 13:15   #2

Re: Life Jacket for the larger individual?

I finally bought an Onyx M-33. It fits. Onyx M or A 33 inflatable PFDs fit chest size 30"-65". There are two types. The Recreational PFD devices have a lightweight harness and if you look at the Onyx web site you do not see the sailing harness PFDs at all.

They are sold on a different web site. I called Onyx, they explained it to me, looked it up, and the sizing is the same. The site that sells the sailing harness is a safety equipment site.

They don't give a waist size because it does not matter. The PFD does not fit that low, in fact, it is supposed to fit above the floating ribs, else you could get impacted by the jerk off hitting the end of the tether.

I decided on the M-33 because I didn't want to risk a brief intentional immersion setting it off accidentally.

It seems to be comfortable and well constructed. The two D rings at the front are always to be used together so that there is no excess stress on the front plastic buckle.
Brasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 13:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Life Jacket for the larger individual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasshopper View Post
I finally bought an Onyx M-33. It fits. Onyx M or A 33 inflatable PFDs fit chest size 30"-65". There are two types. The Recreational PFD devices have a lightweight harness and if you look at the Onyx web site you do not see the sailing harness PFDs at all.

They are sold on a different web site. I called Onyx, they explained it to me, looked it up, and the sizing is the same. The site that sells the sailing harness is a safety equipment site.

They don't give a waist size because it does not matter. The PFD does not fit that low, in fact, it is supposed to fit above the floating ribs, else you could get impacted by the jerk off hitting the end of the tether.

I decided on the M-33 because I didn't want to risk a brief intentional immersion setting it off accidentally.

It seems to be comfortable and well constructed. The two D rings at the front are always to be used together so that there is no excess stress on the front plastic buckle.
Good post. Should help someone in the future.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote