Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 22:20   #31

Re: LED Auxillary Anchor Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Reflectors only work if the approaching boat has headlights. They won't do anything for boats operating the way they are supposed to operate.

I agree with the person who suggested adding a second anchor light about twelve feet above the water. Masthead sailboat lights can be a bit too high at times.
You would be amazed what modern reflective sheeting will do without headlights.

It's cheap and requires no power to put a strip just below the rub rail. Only maintenance might be to wipe it clean every so often but not really needed when you consider street signs aren't cleaned.

It also is less likely to present a confusing light pattern as none of the light displays have a long strip of light.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 04:51   #32

Boat: Cornado 25

My old Davis Utility Light has about had the course (5 years is ok by me)
so will probably replace with the Cruising Solutions light suggested above (Tks).

Anyway it hangs from the end of the boom and is visible from anywhere except dead ahead while in a dink. Also illuminates cockpit when you get home late and makes it easier to find the boat here in the RV Park...

Because we are beyond the COLREGS line we are required to run a 360 light even while on a mooring. Last refit bought a SeaChoice cheapie ($30 USCG accepted) to replace the existing incandescent masthead light. 3 years later still working great with about 0.06 amp draw. Local grouper-troopers are sticky about anchor lights especially during the season. As I am old and forgetful about turning things on and off, and as I may not be here at dusk, the cheap masthead light has been running 24/7 for just about a year now! Interested to see how long it lasts...

Another popular option here in the harbor is the Luci Light. Solar powered
water-proof, light weight. See 'em for everything from aux anchor lights to dinghy all rounds. (stick em on a piece of pvc) $20 or less.

More lights at anchor (or mooring) is better. Look at the big ships at anchor. Looks like Christmas
Old 17-10-2016, 05:41   #33

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Just completed another season with a handful of 99-cent garden LED lights on a our railings. They provide that little bit of extra visibility down low, for vessels that can't see my anchor light 20 feet off the water. They also outline the boat a little better on those dark nights when it's difficult to see the size and orientation of an anchored boat.

Too many times I've anchored in what I thought was an out-of-the-way spot, only to find it's in the middle of a shortcut used by locals.

These lights last all night, for about one season. Some soldier on throughout the winter, but they're all replaced with a new batch in the spring.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
These look great. Can you tell us which wireless dimmer you're using?
Thanks!
The second link is the dimmer
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 22:21   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
My old Davis Utility Light has about had the course (5 years is ok by me)
so will probably replace with the Cruising Solutions light suggested above (Tks).

Anyway it hangs from the end of the boom and is visible from anywhere except dead ahead while in a dink. Also illuminates cockpit when you get home late and makes it easier to find the boat here in the RV Park...

Because we are beyond the COLREGS line we are required to run a 360 light even while on a mooring. Last refit bought a SeaChoice cheapie ($30 USCG accepted) to replace the existing incandescent masthead light. 3 years later still working great with about 0.06 amp draw. Local grouper-troopers are sticky about anchor lights especially during the season. As I am old and forgetful about turning things on and off, and as I may not be here at dusk, the cheap masthead light has been running 24/7 for just about a year now! Interested to see how long it lasts...

Another popular option here in the harbor is the Luci Light. Solar powered
water-proof, light weight. See 'em for everything from aux anchor lights to dinghy all rounds. (stick em on a piece of pvc) $20 or less.

More lights at anchor (or mooring) is better. Look at the big ships at anchor. Looks like Christmas
Didn't you manufacture a really cool anchor light?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor