Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2007, 10:01   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter
Of course, with my age, the presbyopia has been happening over the last several years. I understand that lasik (lasix? I hadn't heard that term, before.) can do nothing for that.
I think the obvious similarity between these two words (LASIK/lasix), and the fact that both have a medical application, makes the conflation understandable. Lasix is actually the brand name of a loop diuretic drug (furosemide or frusemide), originally used in the treatment of congestive heart failure and edema (swelling).

It is on the list of banned drugs by the World Anti-Doping Agency because, like some other diuretics, it is believed to be able to mask the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Most people may have heard the word Lasix if they have an interest in thoroughbred horse racing, or even if they've only watched the Kentucky Derby on TV. It's legally used in the US by trainers who have horses with a tendency to bleed from the nostrils during and/or after a race or hard workout.

In reading through Dave's well-informed posts, I've concluded that I was perhaps fortunate that I was near-sighted (thus, a good candidate for the LASIK procedure), and that I had a very good eye surgeon who was evaluating my candidacy.

I remember thinking at the time that I sure was asked a lot of questions that seemed as much designed to evaluate my psychological fitness as to elicit medical facts. I told my then-wife that I couldn't imagine that wanting to have a sex-change operation would have been more psychologically probing.

I also recall the thoroughness with which the doctor and his staff dwelled on my responsibilities in using the provided ointments to eliminate infection, as well as keeping my hands away from my eyes or I could dislodge the "flap" before it had had sufficient time to reattach.

Best of luck to you, ID, in whatever you decide to do.

TaoJones

Old 21-08-2007, 14:52   #17

Boat: Fantasia 35 - s/v Feeling Good
ID,

I had the RK procedure done 1986 correct my 20/200 vision. I decided that it would be a good idea after a passage where my wife had to sit next to me and wipe the salt spay from my glasses so I could handle the boat. Also, I was concerned that should anything happen and we had to abandon ship I would be useless without my glasses. It is 21 years later and I still have 20/20 vision. I do have some astigmatism and find it hard to read fine print when there isn't a lot of contrast. I do often wear reading glasses when working on the boat as they help with the astigmatism and help keep sawdust and the like out of my eyes.

Having your eyes worked on is a very personal thing and no one should ever consider having LASIK without considering all of the risks. In my case I felt that long term safety outweighed the up front risk.

Regards,

Paul

Old 21-08-2007, 14:52   #18

ID,

I had the RK procedure done 1986 correct my 20/200 vision. I decided that it would be a good idea after a passage where my wife had to sit next to me and wipe the salt spay from my glasses so I could handle the boat. Also, I was concerned that should anything happen and we had to abandon ship I would be useless without my glasses. It is 21 years later and I still have 20/20 vision. I do have some astigmatism and find it hard to read fine print when there isn't a lot of contrast. I do often wear reading glasses when working on the boat as they help with the astigmatism and help keep sawdust and the like out of my eyes.

Having your eyes worked on is a very personal thing and no one should ever consider having LASIK without considering all of the risks. In my case I felt that long term safety outweighed the up front risk.

Regards,

Paul
Old 21-08-2007, 14:59   #19

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
Doug and Wendy on Mustang Sally had it done before we left in 2006. I don't think i would be looking for discount eye surgery in another country. Us as well as Tiger Woods and many others had it done in what is considered the best place in the world, Toronto, Ontario.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 15:29   #20
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor
ID,

I had the RK procedure done 1986
How old were you when you had yours done Paul? If that's not too personal a question.

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 15:33   #21
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
Doug and Wendy on Mustang Sally had it done before we left in 2006. I don't think i would be looking for discount eye surgery in another country. Us as well as Tiger Woods and many others had it done in what is considered the best place in the world, Toronto, Ontario.
Was it LasikMD centre Doug/Wendy?

I've been thinking about it since this thread started and am considering this clinic in Ottawa

LASIK MD Ottawa Laser Eye Surgery and Vision Correction Home
Old 21-08-2007, 16:17   #22
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
I told my then-wife that I couldn't imagine that wanting to have a sex-change operation would have been more psychologically probing.
Now you're in my neck of the woods. I can assure you, Tao, those evaluations are far more probing!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 16:18   #23
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
I told my then-wife that I couldn't imagine that wanting to have a sex-change operation would have been more psychologically probing.
Now you're in my neck of the woods. I can assure you, Tao, those evaluations are far more probing!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 17:16   #24

Rick,

Old enough to know better, but young enough not to care! About 43.

Paul
Old 21-08-2007, 17:54   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Now that procedure is done effectively and cheaply in Thailand. Very little probing. Until after the procedure, that is...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 18:20   #26
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor
Old enough to know better, but young enough not to care! About 43.
Just a young punk then eh? 47 here! Old 'nuff to definitely know better and still silly 'nuff to know I'm going to live forever! Might as well be able to see clearly!
Old 03-09-2007, 16:42   #27

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
I had Lasik in Windsor, Ontario in 1998. I paid $999 for both eyes, with an optional $499 for lifetime "touchups." I haven't needed those. I was VERY happy with the results. It was worth it, every penny, and I would do it again. Free of glasses, contacts, can see underwater, can go to sleep and wake up and see, etc. etc. I'm converted.

My wife now wants to have it done, but the prices have gone way UP, believe it or not. She's having trouble finding a place we can afford, which is why I'm on this thread... to find out what's available overseas, as we're leaving for the Bahamas in early November. Anybody have any info on what's available to Americans there, healthcare-wise? Or should I sail to the "country that can't be named" next door, where healthcare is free (that's what I gathered from "Sicko," anyway).

I won't type the name here, because I don't want to have my email read from now till the end of time... I'll give a hint: it starts with the letter "C"...
Old 06-09-2007, 11:53   #28

Has anyone here had lasik eye surgery? I am considering lasik over the next few months. Any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:00   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellz123 View Post
Has anyone here had lasik eye surgery? I am considering lasik over the next few months. Any suggestions?
Perhaps you might start at the top of the thread and read through all of the posts.

TaoJones
Old 06-09-2007, 15:13   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Suggestions: Check the doctor who will actually be performing the procedure for malpractice suits and other problems if your state has that information online. Make sure the equipment and procedure are compatible with your eye and pupil dilation, some pupils dilate to 7mm and some older equipment only covers 6mm, which will leave you with problems.

If you have any astigmatism, or high myopia, it is especially important to look for a process that maps the topography and refraction paths inside the eye, to take into account interior problems--not just the shape of the cornea.

And take anything that talks about "free retreatments" with a grain of salt, the risk of eye damage increases with any repeat procedure and with high myopia, there may not be enough cornea to retreat anyhow. And check out Lasik complication help, bad lasik results

There are many folks who have great results--and a significant number who have great results, but loss of contrast, permanent loss of tearing (dry eyes that feel like they've been glued together in the morning), and night vision aberrations that mean even with great "correction" their vision will never be as good as it was.

If your doctor does not go over that up front with you, if they poo-poo it and say they have no problems like that--leave. They ALL have problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: