Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 16:46   #46

Re: Knee replacement surgery, time back on boat.

It depends on who does the surgery and how hard you are willing to work on rehab.
I have had Dr. Powers in Port St Lucie FL. Repair two meniscus cartilage and replace half of each knee over the last 20 years. He does not just chop through your muscles, tendons, etc. He has a way of pulling them aside.
You MUST do the rehab with a vengeance, not just "pussyfoot" around.
I have no trouble working a sail boat, I bicycle, etc. The only reason I haven't gone back to power lifting is that he said I would wear out the replacements and have to get it redone. I am 74 yoa.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:44   #47

Boat: Sabre 38 Mk1 #42

These thoughts from a Physical Educator and strength and conditioning coach: Whatever you decide on surgery, it is nice to understand the goal of the physical therapist (pre and post surgery) Generally, pre-surgery, the goal is to reduce all swelling and strengthen the area around the knee to enhance recovery. Post surgery, the goal is to get you back to range of motion and normal strength parameters. So, what most people do not do, but I would strongly recommend (no pun intended) is the use of a post physical therapy strength coach that can create some real multi-planar leg strength. A good strength coach should be able to adapt exercises to your age and strength level. You will also want a healthy regimen of balance-based movements in your program to get your balance back up to speed. You will add years to your sailing life by finding someone to put strong legs back under you. They will probably insist upon a whole-body strength regimen and you will thank them for it later. Good luck.
Gregthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 15:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean.jedi View Post
i had torn meniscus surgery on both knees. 10 years later, they were arthritic and hurt. Stem cells worked My own, from belly fat, not the new born baby stuff. i am 67.
We just got back from seeing my gal's knee doctor.

Long story short, my gal has had left knee issues for a long time and has had 2 surgeries in the last 2 years. Her recent MRI shows that everything is pretty much intact but there are some issues.

Her doctor is recommending a gel injection to help cushion the softening in one of her knee parts. He says maybe 50/50 if it will help but insurance usually covers it. Also if it does work, it may only help for about 6 months.

The next step would be stem cell injections from either herself or amniotic fluid. Insurance won't pay for either and again, the results may only be 50/50. Costs are fairly steep, esp from the amniotic fluid procedure.

He doesn't recommend steroid shots as they damage cartilage.

Ironically, I took my motorbike in for repairs yesterday to a guy who had just had a knee replacement surgery about a year and a half ago. He said in no uncertain terms. DO NOT DO IT! He said that he is much worse than before.....he also said that his GOOD leg is bone on bone with other issues and it is 2000 times better than his knee replacement knee. Poor buggar.
Old 11-06-2019, 15:46   #49

Boat: Hunter 46

Interesting topic. Just turned 68 and had total knee replacement surgery on May 28th. Started physical therapy exercises bike and ice treatment the next day. Started recumbent bike on day 3. By day 11 achieved 122 degree rotation and climbed back onto my Hunter 46.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 16:18   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
We just got back from seeing my gal's knee doctor.

Long story short, my gal has had left knee issues for a long time and has had 2 surgeries in the last 2 years. Her recent MRI shows that everything is pretty much intact but there are some issues.

Her doctor is recommending a gel injection to help cushion the softening in one of her knee parts. He says maybe 50/50 if it will help but insurance usually covers it. Also if it does work, it may only help for about 6 months.

The next step would be stem cell injections from either herself or amniotic fluid. Insurance won't pay for either and again, the results may only be 50/50. Costs are fairly steep, esp from the amniotic fluid procedure.

He doesn't recommend steroid shots as they damage cartilage.

Ironically, I took my motorbike in for repairs yesterday to a guy who had just had a knee replacement surgery about a year and a half ago. He said in no uncertain terms. DO NOT DO IT! He said that he is much worse than before.....he also said that his GOOD leg is bone on bone with other issues and it is 2000 times better than his knee replacement knee. Poor buggar.
My experience is a double knee replacement from a good surgeon. No issues.

It is my understanding the only course is knee replacement. Playing around with sport type keyhole surgery is good money making for the surgeons and rarely lasts. I tried that and did not last 12 months.

Good luck just find a good surgeon. No other way.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 17:28   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had three scope knee surgeries, first one in 2002 and the last about 2014, two on one knee and one on the other.
Gave me 17 more years and really isn’t that big a deal. It depends on what is wrong, mine were to remove “bucket handle” tears, but of course the knees have continued to worsen and total replacement is imminent.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 17:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
My experience is a double knee replacement from a good surgeon. No issues.

It is my understanding the only course is knee replacement. Playing around with sport type keyhole surgery is good money making for the surgeons and rarely lasts. I tried that and did not last 12 months.

Good luck just find a good surgeon. No other way.
I'm very happy for you and all others here that have had great results from their knee replacement surgeries. Awesome!

I have had 2 procedures done from this particular surgeon.....both were complete successes. He is a GREAT surgeon who operates on many professional athletes in the Bay Area.

What really impresses me is a surgeon that looks to solve one's issues with surgery being the LAST resort...esp major surgery. He is one of those guys.

My motorcycle mechanic admits that he screwed up by not being completely honest with his doctors. He wanted knee replacement surgery bad enough to inflate the severity of his condition. He had some pain and some occasional swelling but his range of motion was mostly normal. He didn't really require a total knee replacement according to the surgeons he was totally honest with.

So he is paying the price with HUGE regrets. Guess it didn't help that his Kaiser doctor didn't do such a good job, but that is a matter of opinion.

My understanding is that people that get knee replacements are REALLY in bad shape...lots of pain and mobility issues.

In any case, my beautiful gal isn't there yet....maybe some day. Good news is technology is improving and who knows what the future holds.

Tags
boat, men