Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 16:46   #46

Re: Knee replacement surgery, time back on boat.

It depends on who does the surgery and how hard you are willing to work on rehab.
I have had Dr. Powers in Port St Lucie FL. Repair two meniscus cartilage and replace half of each knee over the last 20 years. He does not just chop through your muscles, tendons, etc. He has a way of pulling them aside.
You MUST do the rehab with a vengeance, not just "pussyfoot" around.
I have no trouble working a sail boat, I bicycle, etc. The only reason I haven't gone back to power lifting is that he said I would wear out the replacements and have to get it redone. I am 74 yoa.

conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 13:44   #47

Boat: Sabre 38 Mk1 #42
Re: Knee replacement surgery, time back on boat.

These thoughts from a Physical Educator and strength and conditioning coach: Whatever you decide on surgery, it is nice to understand the goal of the physical therapist (pre and post surgery) Generally, pre-surgery, the goal is to reduce all swelling and strengthen the area around the knee to enhance recovery. Post surgery, the goal is to get you back to range of motion and normal strength parameters. So, what most people do not do, but I would strongly recommend (no pun intended) is the use of a post physical therapy strength coach that can create some real multi-planar leg strength. A good strength coach should be able to adapt exercises to your age and strength level. You will also want a healthy regimen of balance-based movements in your program to get your balance back up to speed. You will add years to your sailing life by finding someone to put strong legs back under you. They will probably insist upon a whole-body strength regimen and you will thank them for it later. Good luck.

Gregthompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men