Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 15:18   #1

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig
Keeping hands dry

After a few hours in the cockpit sailing when is raining, my hands look like I've spent a day in the bath!
Any suggestions to keep hands dry while still being able to operate lines, tiler etc?
Ski gloves would be inconvenient because not needing to keep hands warm and very limited sense of touch with them.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 20:33   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Keeping hands dry

Perhaps some really thin neoprene diving gloves? Find the ones with velcro around the wrist though this still won't keep all water from dripping down into them, but if you have foulies on, you can pull the sleeves over the gloves. Depending on how warm it is where you sail, you might still get pruned fingers from the moisture inside the neoprene. Semi dry wetsuit gloves are great, but these tend to come in 5 mm size at the thinnest, which would be kinda like wearing ski gloves.

Here's one type that could work: Neosport by Henderson 1.5mm XSPAN Diving Gloves SG10V with reviews at scuba.com
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 22:11   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I prefer long sleeves on my foul weather coat, no gloves. Can roll a cigaret in a rain..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:05   #4

There are different kinds of industrial barrier creams, some specifically for wet work.

Most are applied after each hand washing but heard of some that survive a few washes without re-application.

Could ask your doctor for a recommendation, medics have to wash hands frequently.

Used quite a lot of them before I retired but don't remember any make being better than any other - employers usually just buy whatever's on special offer.

Hope it works for you and thanks for reminding me I need to get some more
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 15:11   #5

Boat: Orca 38
Keeping hands dry

I use a product called Bag Balm that I keep on my hands by applying liberally. I also use plenty of towels for drying them off between tasks, in addition they make affordable waterproof work gloves that I get at Home Depot, and I keep four pairs that I rotate through, as they aren't quite waterproof long enough.

I also made a rack out of expanded metal that I use as a drying rack over my stove for the gloves, and towels, as well as hats that have become soaked.

And that's in our "warm weather". In winter I switch to neoprene gloves with the same routine.
Old 08-04-2016, 18:37   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I would use 2 mm ultrastretch neoprene gloves or goretex ones if you are more fancy.

2 mm ultrastretch neoprenes made for freediving (try spear fishing shops) come in very robust styles with cordura mesh outside - this allows one to handle very rough stuff, lines, etc.

Holding a mug of hot chocolate for a time with both hands seems to dry them up nicely too.

Why does it rain so much out there?

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 21:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Why does it rain so much out there?

Cheers,
b.

To keep the wusses inside while the rest of us play.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:13   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Hehehe!!!!! ;-)

Have a dry sunny sailing weekend!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55   #9

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

My hands sweat so much wearing rubber/vinyl/neoprene/latex gloves that they actually stay wetter wearing them than not. I like to wear thin ski gloves - the kind often used by cross country or downhill skiers in warmer spring-time conditions - the kind which have an air permeable, water resistant/proof membrane so your hands can breathe while you wear them. Gore-Tex is one of the most popular brands of membrane but there are others. Look for ones that have taped seams. They are not cheap but the ones I had lasted a very long time. You can get thicker ones for colder weather too.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:24   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Hard top.

Seriously, Sealskin gloves. But to me they are a cold weather thing. The truth is that anything that is going to keep them dry when truly wet is going to sweat on the inside (no material breaths when wetted-out), so you end up the same way, except now they smell.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08   #11

Channel swimmers used to have grease lathered over them.
Maybe they'd wear wetsuit gloves these days, don't know.

Never been comfortable working in gloves myself and mostly didn't even bother with barrier cream except when I was working outside in the rain.
Me big tough old guy, see?
Also think mechanics wearing little white gloves look like little French maids

Barrier cream helps avoid salt-water chafing and hands don't feel so wet or so cold. Helps with prune-skin too.
Water rolls off like a waxed car or a duck's back, geddit?

Elderly French-polisher once told me they used a beeswax & paraffin mixture on their hands for milking cows when he was a kid - he was born on a farm when Victoria was alive though.
Same stuff was used for polishing which was why he mentioned it.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
To keep the wusses inside while the rest of us play.
says thou with the doghouse
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
says thou with the doghouse

DOH!!
Old 09-04-2016, 19:00   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The proven (over many decades) solution, is to wear a pair of polypro liners, & then a pair of dish washing, or Atlas rubber gloves, overtop of things. With or without a pair of sailing gloves on top.

You can still handle lines easily, & depending on the thickness of the liners, & the rubber gloves, you're good, warmth wise, until there's snow on the deck.

I prefer the unlined rubber gloves, as they're one less thing to dry out when you're off watch. But YMMV.

PS: Aside from appearances, what's the big issue with your hands being wet?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 21:35   #15

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

pony up for some high quality cold weather sailing gloves or buy yourself some atlas gloves, your hands will be bone dry and these are about $8 a pair. plain and simple nothing else really does a better job keeping hands dry.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote