Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2011, 21:03   #16

Boat: Hunter 450
I also think a good seat will make you paddle longer without hurting your back. I use a good plastic West Marine paddle that has lasted almost 4 yrs with pretty good use.

Old 26-10-2011, 21:11   #17
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Kayaks: Inflatable or Rigid for Exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
[*]When buying a kayak, invest in a decent paddle. The cheapo aluminium ones are heavy and will create fatigue. At a minimum get a 2-piece wood or fiberglass from Werner. For a seriously good paddle get graphite- but that would probably be overkill.
A graphite paddle is not overkill.

I do one or two sea kayak trips in Baja every year, each one in the range of 7-10 days. I don't take my own boats when I'm flying down, so I never know what kind of boat I'll end up in. That doesn't worry me. But I always take a graphite paddle from home. As long as I've got a good paddle, I'm happy.

I've spent many a week in a kayak worth less than my paddle. Todos bien.

Old 27-10-2011, 05:58   #18

Boat: CR 56 CC to be built 2014 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Kayaks: Inflatable or Rigid for Exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Couple of suggestions/thoughts:
  1. Efficient paddling is a full body exercise, the torso should rotate to place more power into and lengthen the stroke. When you "put your back into it" you engage muscles with much more stamina than the biceps. Trust me, I've done many 300 mile races and a 1500 miler.... You gotta use your back. When you do so, you will need to brace your legs against part of the boat to efficiently transfer the power generated by the stroke into the vessel.
  2. I have been told by people smarter than me that when a hull flexes (i.e. an inflatable) they become less efficient. Will that hurt you piddling around the anchorage? Probably not. IMHO, the best kayak for a sailboat would be either a Klepper or Feathercraft. Both are rigid framed, soft skin boats. They fold down to nothing, assemble fairly easily and have proven themselves to be good vessels that in the right hands could be surfed. If storage is not an issue, and you want the best ever- look at either a Nortwest Discover or a Kruger Dreamcatcher. Neither is cheap, but IMHO they represent the best out there.
  3. For maximum stability think 24" beam and a hard chime or ribbed bottom (i.e. sit on tops). AVOID the British "fish form" or rounded bottoms, they are way to agressive for newbies.
  4. When buying a kayak, invest in a decent paddle. The cheapo aluminium ones are heavy and will create fatigue. At a minimum get a 2-piece wood or fiberglass from Werner. For a seriously good paddle get graphite- but that would probably be overkill.
A werner camano and a feathercraft would make an interesting combo.

Any hoot there goes my $0.02 and some extra

Bill
Thanks Bill for your input and council, it has given me a lot more to think about.

When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: