Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 18:11   #256

Re: Is a furling main safe when singlehanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I may just take pics of the relevant pages in the manual, let me find it. Probably the easiest way, doubt there's a pdf. I do recollect the manual stating to pull the sail down off the furler "like pulling a sock down a leg".

It's easy on the Hood, though. Just as obvious as it looks like it would be. Just undo the tack, clearly visible in the bottom of the furler slot, attach a line to a block at the mast base/deck or the gooseneck even, take it to a winch and heave away. It's obvious to anyone whos ever dealt with a jam that moving the sail laterally in the slot is much easier than trying to pull it further in or out, which is what caused the jam. Also, if you do it this way, as the luff is pulled out of the foil a lot of pressure is often relieved at the jam. Pretty often it seems like it will only pull the luff until you get a foot or two of it out and then the leech will suddenly come unjammed and the whole thing will drop. It's pretty obvious, common sense really. If I owned a system with no method for quick disconnect at the mast base, I'd add it if possible. For cheap.
By any chance, do you know or are able to share the specs or rule or thumb for the tension adjustment for the Hood furler rod? Thanks in advance. Your input is approached.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 18:53   #257

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by old frog View Post
Or the so all to common boom positioned so high & over a full enclosure or similar that is difficult to reach & service under when in port, let alone underway when it is blowing.
Yes, it can be a problem. A friend of ours crewed (skipper, and two crew) on the sister-ship to ours but with a regular main sail. They were delivering the boat from Hamilton Island Race Week (for those OS - it is a big event up in Queensland, Australia), right down the east coast and around to Melbourne.

They had a great time, but his comment was the effort required to get the sail tidied up and back in its boom bag.

That is in sharp contrast to the ease for just me, or my First Mate to deal with our main.

Hopefully we will never have problems with it, but it certainly makes life for just the two of us, very easy.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:03   #258

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We look forward to meeting you. Are you anywhere near the Adriatic? Presently, our boat is in San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy and we'll be spending most of 2017 in Croatia and Montenegro. But mostly Croatia.

Ken
You never know Ken. Our yacht is currently in Licata. We return late April, and plan on another quick visit to Malta for some work. We then need to get out of the EU by very early June, so if the weather at that time of the year (seems to be getting later each year unfortunately) allows us the window, Albania/Montenegro is the logical destination before possibly continuing on to Turkey. If we find we are running out of time due to weather, then a mad dash back to Tunisia, and then another attempt to head East.

We have been aiming for Turkey since 2013, but making slow progress of that. Enjoying (nearly) every minute of it though. I'll PM you with e-mail details etc, and we can stay in touch if you reply back with yours.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 23:54   #259

Great thread with lots of differing opinions and personal views. Some more strident than others but nevertheless interesting. Some of the opinions seem to be based on theory and not real world experience but are mostly worthwhile reading and considering for their diversity of views.

I realise that this thread has probably run to its logical conclusion but I thought it would be valuable to at least make the following information easily available to all who may venture this way in the future seeking information on furling main sails.

I attach a link to the ongoing SSCA Equipment Survey dealing with main sail furling / reefing and the overall analysis here.

I attach a link from that same survey of all the opinions expressed by owners who actually sail with the type of equipment that they are commenting on here.
It is quite a long read but very interesting and revealing and it is very germane to the extensive discussions that have been going on within this thread.

The one take away message for me is that there are failures in all systems from the simple to the more complex. All systems work flawlessly for some sailors yet other sailors have monumental problems with these same choices of equipment.
Probably the major difference here is that the operators of the various types of systems are the one thing where it is impossible to compare like for like.
No one system is right for every sailor with their own particular situation given the the inherent differences in the individual and indeed where they sail and in what they sail.

And for an interesting comparison I add the link for the analysis of those sailors who sail without an in mast or in boom furling system here.

When one compares the Breakdowns/Unit and Breakdowns/Year data for both the in mast units and those with battens/sliders it shows that there is a slight difference but overall the reliability is within what most (but not all) sailors would be prepared to accept for the perceived advantages that each system provides. (Please do not turn this into a mathematical argument about percentage increases or decreases).

What is obvious and revealing is that generally whichever system you choose they are mostly realiable and that is good news for all of us.

We are lucky to have so many choices to suit our own personal situations and budgets.

Now let's get that mainsail furled away neatly.
AussieWayne

Thank you to the SSCA for compiling all this information and much more.
There is lots of useful information on equipment and systems of all types
here.
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, single, singlehanding