Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 13:27   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Inflated 20+y.o. Givens

My 20-30year old Givens hadn't been repacked in 15 years. I looked into having it done and the cost would be around $1500, including a new tank and inflator, supplies, flares, etc. I thought I had made the right decision to just take it as a lose, and buy a new raft when I go off again. This weekend, I pulled the lanyard and tried to inflate the raft. I expected nothing to happen, but, a perfectly good Givens raft appeared. It has held air now for 24 hours. I may have made a poor decision. My concern, if I try to get it repacked now, is if there is cold fractures from it being inflated by CO2. In the past I insisted on rafts being inflated by air, then leaving it for 24 hours, and go back to see it. Has anyone had a raft repacked after inflating it with the CO2 bottle. I will again try to find someone who will repack a Givens. It is by far the best raft built. by the way, the mfg. date inside the raft I think say 671, which I am taking as June 1971, but that seems a bit early for Givens. Supplies expired in 2002, so last repack was probably 1999 or 2000.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:26   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Inflated 20+y.o. Givens

Definately a consideration. Don't think there is anyway to know for sure without inspection by a knowledgeable repack facility.

I repakced my own Winslow a few years ago, but did not autoinflate first. Glad I did, know the raft much better now...sure beats learning it in an emergency.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:12   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Inflated 20+y.o. Givens

Our training rafts get inflated about once a month with the co2/nitrogen mix. Lots of ice, but I haven't noticed any obvious damage to the fabric. They tend to start leaking slowly and then the floor and canopy start ripping due to rough treatment and chlorine in the pool after a few years.

That's not to say it isn't an issue. Just that so far on our rafts it hasn't been a big problem.

I wouldn't be that keen on relying on such an old rafts though, probably best that you got a new one.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app