Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2016, 09:37   #46

Re: Inflatable PFDs, manual vs automatic

Sorry, I'm not sure that I uploaded a picture ( my first time posting a picture)without text or not! This is what I did with the Mustang 3184 PFD.
My friend has on here a AIS (Smartfind S20 for mother vessel finding MOB and ACR
Rescue link+ for outside help eg. Coastguard in case mother vessel is unsuccessful)
Additionally a strobe at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 24-06-2016, 09:41   #47

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanlowery View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure that I uploaded a picture ( my first time posting a picture)without text or not! This is what I did with the Mustang 3184 PFD.
My friend has on here a AIS (Smartfind S20 for mother vessel finding MOB and ACR
Rescue link+ for outside help eg. Coastguard in case mother vessel is unsuccessful)
Additionally a strobe at the top.

I am posting this because you apparently want to post a photo but it was not shown in your post.

Want to Post Photos?

Here is a very good video on Youtube that shows how to post photos on CF. Step by step instructions demonstrated.

Here is a FAQ page on how to post photos here.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 10:24   #48

I'll look at that video,
Thanks!

Old 24-06-2016, 12:53   #49
Life is good!

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That would be good. It's pretty irrational.

... I lost a little respect for the law, and sadly the cops, that day.
It is easy to lose respect for the laws, they are made by politicians that simply don't know any better.

Cops don't write or make laws, they have to enforce what the dummies have written. Sure, they have discretion but I have found over the years water cops are more stringent than land bound cops. Why? Because they are trying to save lives.

Any guesses about my prior profession?
Old 24-06-2016, 13:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
It is easy to lose respect for the laws, they are made by politicians that simply don't know any better.

Cops don't write or make laws, they have to enforce what the dummies have written. Sure, they have discretion but I have found over the years water cops are more stringent than land bound cops. Why? Because they are trying to save lives.

Well my experience is slightly different. Around here most of the local water cops are the misfits they can't leave on regular beats. Further in FL, I have seen them on many occasions doing things that they would issue a citation to you for.

As far as discretion, well they are for the most part ego, testosterone driven humans, so take their ability of discretionary actions with a grain of salt, and if one of them gets caught?, well we all know what happens then.
Old 25-06-2016, 05:56   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post

Agreed. And I get it that laws have to be written for the lowest common denominator, which is why I appreciate the reasonable discretion most cops bring to the job.

But I don't buy the whole "trying to save lives" bit. Driving a car is far more dangerous than boating. Heck, walking down a busy city street is worse. The "safety check" activities that seem to be more pervasive and permissive on the water (certainly, it seems, in the USA) are ridiculous. It circumvents the common law foundation of not accosting someone without some sort of reasonable suspicion of a crime happening.

I'm sure most cops are undertaking these activities with the best of intentions, but as the wise saying goes (paraphrase): "Beware of authority figures, especially those with the best of intentions."
Old 25-06-2016, 13:57   #52

My wife and I each have 5 pfds:
1- SOS inflatable with harness for offshore when we need to be moving about
2- an orange type- I, which we'll hopefully have time to put on if the boat is sinking
3 - a type-III (dinghy) for taking the dinghy into the beach. Comfortable and not bothered by spray.
4 - coastal inflatable for when we're crewing for friends on Thursday night beer can racing. Comfortable, lots of people on our boats and nearby boats should someone fall in. Plus waves are generally not bad.
5 - a bag of type-II's for guests and to be always legal.

Since we're generally on sailboats, our inflatables are automatic.
Old 25-06-2016, 16:42   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

We added a pouch to the side strap on our automatic inflatables (Don't go on deck without it). The pouch includes a whistle, light sticks, and a diver's orange inflatable sausage, because being overboard is one thing; being found in rough weather is another. Oh, and anyone going out on deck off shore clips on a waterproof VHF hand held, as in "I can see the port bow, turn twenty degrees to port and slow down." The dinghy hoist is electric, and has a life ring and carabiner attached, so my 5'1" wife has at least a chance of being able to hoist me aboard when I can barely help myself. It's scary to think about, but there are cases of people going over, and then their mate and only crewperson not being able to get them back on board.
Old 30-06-2016, 05:09   #54

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

We have recently discovered that thinking that the inflator and service period still being in date was not ok .
I decided to strip our PFD's and discovered that my cylinder had detached itself completely from the jacket , basically lying loose in the cover and my wife's inflator was still partially bonded with the one side completely detached .

In other words they were useless as buoyancy aids .

Tags
inflatable, pfd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: