Boat: Swan 56
Recent test carried out on a number of lifejackets by YM earlier this year:

http://www.xm-yachting.co.uk/sitedat...st-July-09.pdf
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 01:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
The Mustang hydrostatic has the pill behind a small pressure activated valve that only releases when actually submerged in the water.
Which is is not an uncommon scenario on the deck of a race boat offshore.

I think the auto inflate vs manual is a very personal decision that is influenced by a number of factors, including the type of boat, the type of sailing you do and others (water temperature was mentioned above - i hadn't considered that before). Both have pro's, both have cons.

durability, volume, thigh / croch straps, sprayhoods, strobes and possibly personal epirbs are higher up the ladder of what I would consider when buying a lifejacket than whether it went off automatically or whether I had to pull a tab.
Old 20-11-2009, 05:49   #33

Boat: Charter
So when traveling by air, how does one take an inflatable life jacket? Do you have to leave the CO2 cartridge behind and buy a new one when you get there?
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 07:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched
Which is is not an uncommon scenario on the deck of a race boat offshore.
Still doesn't mean the vest will inflate. The hydrostatic valve is activated by the pressure of being a minimum of something like 4" underwater. While you may have water wash over you while on deck (of any boat, not just a race boat), it is not usually going to subject the valve to the equivalent pressure of being underwater.

This is not to say that an accidental inflation is completely impossible with these kinds of vests, but it is far, far less likely even if you are being subjected to waves washing over you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 16:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
While you may have water wash over you while on deck (of any boat, not just a race boat), it is not usually going to subject the valve to the equivalent pressure of being underwater..
OK - sounds good - I didn't appreciate that technology had moved on to this extent.

Has anyone experience of being hosed wearing hydrostatic autos?
Old 11-05-2011, 20:00   #36

Boat: AVON Searider 4m
Send a message via Skype™ to bkils
Re: Inflatable Life Jacket w/ Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Peter, I was sold on the Spinlock until you pointed out it wasn't hydrostatic. Any input on how important that feature is in the real world?
Spinlock makes 2 trigger versions: The Pro-Sensor triggers inflation when the 'pill' is dissolved by water/moisture/humidity or alternatively the Hammar Hydrostatic release, which requires 10cm submersion before the pressure seal breaks and allows the trigger mechanism to activate.
bkils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:52   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I wore my Spinlock vest 24/7/15 on the solo sail to Hawaii last summer. Took it off only to change cloths/foul wx gear on the 15 day passage, even slept with it on. It was very comfortable after I got it adjusted to my body. Took me maybe an hour or so to do the adjusting. They are adjustable in about every way and doubt that they couldn't be made to fit anyone with a little work with the many adjustments provided. Fought using the leg straps at first but they are so easy to strap on just hooked them up all the time.

Some people don't like the fixed attachment of the tether to the vest. Personally I like it as I carry a knife all the time and could cut it if necessary. Don't like the Snap Shackle release as I've had shap shackles release on their own and/or not release when under tension.

My complaints are finding a place to attach a strobe light and a Personal Locator Beacon. Someone needs to make a pouch that can be laced to the straps on a vest to hold these necessary items. The hooks on the tether tended to grab any line less than 1/4" diameter and the edge of the dodger. Would be happier with a simple Gibb hook rather than the double step release hook supplied. The hooks supplied with their tether may be a requirement for certification but feel they unnecessarily complex. Took a little getting used to one hand unclipping with the supplied hooks but got it down with a little practice.

When I bought mine at the Oakland Strictly Sail Boat Show last year, the pill actuator was the only choice available. As I said before, the actuator is very well protected from accidental actuation by rain/spray. I had a pretty benign passage so little spray but did wear it through a rain squall that thouroughly soaked me without a problem.

You can send the vest with the CO2 actuator as checked luggage on an airplane. Don't know whether you have to pull the cartridge out of the actuator or not. Interesting that you can send a vest/safety equipment with a CO2 cartridge but you can't ship a bike with a CO2 tire inflator. Especially since every seat on an airplane on an overwater flight has a CO2 cartridge under the seat where anyone can play around with it if they are dumb or malicious.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:21   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Don't know whether you have to pull the cartridge out of the actuator or not."
Considering the cost and trouble to obtain spares, and how easily a spare is consumed if the trigger accidentally goes, it is best to make a policy of never keepng the cartidge in place EXCEPT when sailing. As opposed to shipping and storage and in unlocked luggage the TSA will be tampering with. Because when they xray your bag and see the metal cylinder, it is going to be fondled.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable