Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 05:26   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Incidents of Piracy Way Up . . .

but more than 92 percent of them "off the coast of Somalia":

BBC News - Pirates seized record 1,181 hostages in 2010 - report
__________________

__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 06:06   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
growth industry,i'd buy shares
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 06:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
The Global Cost of Piracy
In January 2011 Oceans Beyond Piracy concluded a large-scale study to quantify the cost of piracy. Based on our calculations, maritime piracy is costing the international economy between $7 to $12 billion USD per year.

More ➥ One Earth Future - The Cost of Piracy

Full Report ➥ http://oneearthfuture.org/images/ima...l%20Report.pdf

Numerous other interesting & informative articles/papers on piracy
One Earth Future - Oceans Beyond Piracy
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:01   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Posts: 963
7-12 Billion a year?!?

You'd think it would be a little more worth someone's while to really put a stop to it. Heck, I'm sure with a billion, we could put together a pretty good anti-piracy fleet, don't you think?
__________________
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:25   #5
Registered User
 
Aussiesuede's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC & Seattle, WA
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
7-12 Billion a year?!?

You'd think it would be a little more worth someone's while to really put a stop to it. Heck, I'm sure with a billion, we could put together a pretty good anti-piracy fleet, don't you think?

Relatively speaking, it's not that much. Lyme disease costs the US alone a bit more than a billion/year. The combined costs of a host of "minor" ailments to society cost in excess of $100 billion. Until piracy starts to hit those "noticable" marks, it's doubtful much more will be done than is currently being done. Relatively speaking, a $7-$12 billion problem simply isn't anywhere near significant enough to move govts much beyond their current positions. Sure it makes for delicious headlines, but world govts have got their hands full with MUCH more significant issues that are FAR costlier, and much farther up the priority scale.
__________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
... Heck, I'm sure with a billion, we could put together a pretty good anti-piracy fleet, don't you think?
Nope.

Excerpted from the report:

The main direct costs of piracy include: the cost of ransoms*, piracy insurance premiums, deterrent equipment, re-routing vessels away from piracy risk zones, naval deployments in piracy hot zones**, piracy prosecutions, and organization budgets dedicated to reducing piracy.

* The total cost of ransom is estimated to be around double the value actually paid to pirates. The total cost is duplicated by a number of factors, such as: the cost of negotiations, psychological trauma counseling, repair to ship damage caused while it is held captive, and the physical delivery of the ransom money, often done by helicopter or private plane.

** Over 27 countries currently contribute naval forces towards piracy deterrence. Most military and naval attention is devoted to the Horn of Africa, where ―the big three. anti-piracy missions are focused: Operation Atalanta, Operation Ocean Shield and Combined Task Force (CTF) 151. Operation Atalanta was launched in November 2008 by the European Union with the primary goal of protecting World Food Program vessels delivering aid to Somalia, as well as other shipping in the region. Operation Ocean Shield is a NATO initiative to protect shipping in the region, with a current mandate to the end of 2012. CTF 151 is a multinational task force established in January 2009 in the Gulf of Aden and the eastern coast of Somalia.
Together, the three military efforts make up over 43 vessels operating off the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean. We take the estimation given by the 2010 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on Maritime Security, that one U.S. navy vessel costs around $82,794 to operate per steaming day. Multiplying this by the total 43 vessels deployed, and 365 days, we approximate the costs of these military vessels to be around $1.3 billion per year. Adding in the administrative budgets of the three major missions, along with additional independent expenditures from other nations, we come to a rough estimate of $2 billion being spent on military operations in the region every year. This is also the approximation made by the European Institute in its October 2010 study.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:58   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:35   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 153
2 billion a year, 43 ships total....definitely sounds like a government operation with a lot of wasteful spending
__________________
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 14:08   #9
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
2 billion a year, 43 ships total....definitely sounds like a government operation with a lot of wasteful spending
Sure give to Halliburton, we all sleep safely in our beds, ...like right.

Dave
__________________
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 14:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,150
As long as we allow them to succeed by giving in to their demands, they will keep doing this. We have the technology to eradicate them but not the political will.
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 15:12   #11
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Nope.

Excerpted from the report:

The main direct costs of piracy include: the cost of ransoms*, piracy insurance premiums, deterrent equipment, re-routing vessels away from piracy risk zones, naval deployments in piracy hot zones**, piracy prosecutions, and organization budgets dedicated to reducing piracy.

* The total cost of ransom is estimated to be around double the value actually paid to pirates. The total cost is duplicated by a number of factors, such as: the cost of negotiations, psychological trauma counseling, repair to ship damage caused while it is held captive, and the physical delivery of the ransom money, often done by helicopter or private plane.

** Over 27 countries currently contribute naval forces towards piracy deterrence. Most military and naval attention is devoted to the Horn of Africa, where ―the big three. anti-piracy missions are focused: Operation Atalanta, Operation Ocean Shield and Combined Task Force (CTF) 151. Operation Atalanta was launched in November 2008 by the European Union with the primary goal of protecting World Food Program vessels delivering aid to Somalia, as well as other shipping in the region. Operation Ocean Shield is a NATO initiative to protect shipping in the region, with a current mandate to the end of 2012. CTF 151 is a multinational task force established in January 2009 in the Gulf of Aden and the eastern coast of Somalia.
Together, the three military efforts make up over 43 vessels operating off the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean. We take the estimation given by the 2010 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on Maritime Security, that one U.S. navy vessel costs around $82,794 to operate per steaming day. Multiplying this by the total 43 vessels deployed, and 365 days, we approximate the costs of these military vessels to be around $1.3 billion per year. Adding in the administrative budgets of the three major missions, along with additional independent expenditures from other nations, we come to a rough estimate of $2 billion being spent on military operations in the region every year. This is also the approximation made by the European Institute in its October 2010 study.
Just a thought... IMO this is typical of media/corp/potitical hyperbole. No reflection on you at all Gord. You're doing your usual great input of putting quotes and reports on the table for discussion...

This is a 'gross cost'.
Surely the 'true cost' of anti-pirate campaigns should be the gross cost less the costs the naval craft would have been racking up anyway. In most cases the vessels, personel, logistic support etc would be outlaid even though they are sitting in port somewhere, or engaged in pretend crisis/wargames.
Think of the 'savings' in not having to outlay the cost of pretend enemies in normal wargame exercises!

I think these poor maligned fellows are getting a bad rap. Hell, they're just doing informally what governments and tax systems around the world are doing to us all the time.. you've got it, we want it, and we're in a position to take it off you. Kinda the way of humanity, and the natural world since the beginning of time...
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 17:50   #12
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
As long as we allow them to succeed by giving in to their demands, they will keep doing this. We have the technology to eradicate them but not the political will.
you're right, send in mcdonalds

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 17:53   #13
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
you're right, send in mcdonalds

Dave
LOL... if nothing else it'll get em fat and reduce the number to 2 or 3 in a boat instead of 5 or 6.... much better odds
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 18:40   #14
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
A dozen or so Q-ships that will sink all attacking pirate ships/boats with all hands should substantially reduce the Somali pirate problem over a period of half-a-dozen years or so. A naval blockade would be more immediate in its effect but would be an act of war rather than mere self-defense.
__________________

__________________
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
piracy

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CW Piracy Articles ... sneuman Health, Safety & Related Gear 0 25-11-2009 10:38
New Piracy Corridor Talbot Cruising News & Events 7 24-08-2009 18:00
action on piracy cooper General Sailing Forum 1 12-09-2008 12:43
Med piracy :( Soft Air Cruising News & Events 0 11-09-2008 07:42
Piracy easterly Cruising News & Events 13 29-01-2008 09:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.