Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2006, 16:56   #1

Boat: Carl Bostek
Improvised Weapons

Does anyone have any experience with improvised defensive weapons?

I'm willing to put up with the hassle of carrying a shotgun on board since that's likely to be viewed as defensive, but should I ever have to repel boarders I'd like something more formidable.

Cheers,

Carl
S/V Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 17:49   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Weapons

This has been well covered under another title and poll.
The poll does not disclose the posters nationality but let me hazard some guesses. If you are from Texas arm yourself to the teeth, in fact it should be mandatory to carry a gun. From Idaho, make bombs, Washington DC or New Orleans, be sure to short plenty of your neighbours, no that is not fair, just a reflection of what happens. Other states are a bit more toned down. Oregon is just not in to it. Some folks from the land of OZZ have carried guns but mostly the rest of the world does not think it necessary to arm themselves. I have suggested the spare tiller, pots and pans and other sail boat stuff as weapons. I also suggested using pacifist methods first and conflict as a last resort.
The US has 1/4 of the worlds inmates. The jailing rate increased 4 times over the last 25 years and the crime rate fell over the last 10. The Federal prisons are 40% over capacity and the State pens 15%. 10% of inmates are in for life. These are frightening numbers when compared to the reat of the world.
I guess I am saying between the lines, is for some US boaters to try and think outside the normal framework, that has shaped your weapons opinion to date. I have never been impressed with US folks exporting there gun carrying opinions to foreign lands. But that is just me.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 19:30   #3
Kai Nui

The question in itself is a very reasonable one. Improvised weapons have their place, and do not necessarily have to be firearms. I really am not sure what would be more formidible than a shotgun. Maybe explosives?
Proper marshal arts training would be an option, and a good one. It would also provide instruction in the use of available items as weapons. I still maintain that the most formidible weapon is the brain. Forethought, planning, and calm under pressure will save your life.
FWIW Michael, not all Americans are gun slinging cowboys. I too am distressed that opinion of Americans is as prevelent as it is. My experience is most people, regardless of where they are from would prefer to walk away. Not to say there are not a few that carry sufficient weapons for a small coup, but in general, most of us are only interested in cruising.
Old 14-02-2006, 19:38   #4

Moderation

Kai Nui, of course I agree with you entirely. Let me tell everyone that the US has more enviromentalists, organic growers, gun haters and otherwise do gooders and honest folks than anywhere else. Unfortunately they also have quite a few of the type that make the headlines, such as the VP shooting his hunting buddy. That only illustrates my point that guns are dangerous, even in the hands of the 2IC of the US. It is not fair the US folks get targeted in this way, but the numbers ( shootings ) make them an easy target. New Orleans and Wasgington DC are more dangerous than Iraq when it comes to getting shot. Martial arts courses, swimming and walking are on my plans to stay fit after the farm has sold.
Michael
Old 14-02-2006, 19:52   #5

I too agree with Micheal, & Scott.

Violence begets violence. It does not hurt to be neutral.

After spending 9 years in the military. I often get the feeling of being tired of being on the offensive (aggressor) attitude.

I could almost practically build a bomb out of a paperclip. I can make household chemicals into a biological contaniment.

My suggestion is this Carl.

If you want to defend yourself. Without guns. I'd go with biological weaponary.

The simpliest one I can recommend to you over this forum is bleach & ammonia mixture. Very harmful in close quarters.

For the outside on deck of the boat. I'd recommend pepper spray. You can mix your own stuff up. Just get tabasco sauce and water. Mix it real good. And you basically got your own home version of pepper spray.

After that I'd be grabbing anything around me and use it as a weapon.

But like what Micheal & Scott said above my post. Your brain is the best weapon. Think ahead. Be alert. Avoid areas prone to pirating!! That's my advise there!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 20:00   #6
Kai Nui

Good plan Michael. Me thinks you will be welcome wherever you go
Old 14-02-2006, 20:28   #7

Michael

It would be an honor to meet you in person!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 14-02-2006, 20:38   #8

Meeting

Bring beer, imported stuff, not yankee swill.
Michael
Old 14-02-2006, 20:45   #9

Well. I don't know if I can help you out there. I don't know about beers that much. I was mostly into the hard stuff.

Jack Daniels. Barcardi light & dark rums. Captain Morgan or Malibu rum. Or Tequilla.

Whenever I buy beer. I always bought the Amercian swill. I have bought Foster's Lager. And Heinniken beer. Samuel Adams. But that's about the extent of my alcohol purchases!!

You've visited America before, I think. Tell me what we sell over here. That would suit your taste?

Old 14-02-2006, 21:02   #10
Kai Nui

A pint of the dog should do, or better yet, some McKewens. Not much for beer myself, but a good ale is worth the trouble. I can give you some sources K.
Old 14-02-2006, 21:04   #11

That would be very much appriciated Kai!!

Old 14-02-2006, 22:19   #12
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Aphrodite,
Improvise a white flag, a smile and cold beer. See previous threads in this forum.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 08:13   #13

Get his number

We had one rule for the smaller guys on the rugby team. If someone punched or kicked you, just get his number. The problem will be taken care of. In those days there were not a bunch of cameras looking at you, and only one ref to watch 30 players. Video cameras and the like are helping catch a lot of baddies these days. For an unattended boat a hidden camera might be a good idea.
Michael
Old 15-02-2006, 11:41   #14

Well Micheal.

That's one option that had not crossed my mind. Maybe a video survilance system. Or a ditigal camera option?

Use either one, that could take multiple angle shots of pirates/terrorists coming along side. Have multiple cameras. Or camera lens setup linked to one or more cameras, throughout your vessel. That way you could have all the footage needed to help in identifying & prosecuting these punks.

Old 15-02-2006, 13:21   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The proactive deterrent value of alarms & cameras (etc) lie primarily in the KNOWLEDGE that they exist. Otherwise, they are only of reactive value.
We had a Wells Fargo (security) sticker on "Southbound", tho' no such security system existed.
ie: "Warning, protected by ..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote