Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2009, 18:08   #91

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
By JW idahonurse
"so, the issue is what ever you do you sure don't want to creat a fire or gas yourself...even with pepper spray....so, my quandry is.....guns are an absolute no...and buddy boating isn't always an option....not sure what one could do if attacked."

Pepper spray and Mace are available in a non-flammable form which sticks on whatever you are spraying at so you don't gas yourself, even in a cabin (as I read their description I have never tried it) or if you are spraying it upwind outside
Google "gel peppers spray" for more information. Bear spray is also available it seems it would be more powerful than mace but I am not sure if that is so.
Good luck, I hope you never have need for any of them!
For life and death situations ONLY! I have often thought about a gasoline filled "water Balloon" type container into the offenders boat once it gets close enough, followed by a flare.
Steve

Old 06-04-2009, 20:18   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Jim,

You make a decsion and it's time to move on. If you can say you don't have to look back then it means you don't have to. It's about as good as it gets.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 21:53   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
How about "potato launchers", sort of like mortars, fueled by hair spray and a spark ignition? They would see those things coming and think they were in for a bad surprise. Or "funnelators", nested funnels with steel rings around the top, attached to spear gun wishbones and surgical tubing. I have launched water balloons at a hundred yards and nailed my called palm trees. A red water balloon, incoming, could portend worse yet to arrive. Filled with capsicum pepper in vinegar, they would ruin someone's day before they arrived alongside. Then, there is always the contents of the holding tank. That might go beyond the conventions of the Geneva Accords. Bad Guys Beware of WILDERNESS. You won't know what hit you, and I have digital radar and a loud stereo. Nothing repels creeps like the Brandenburg Concerti set to maximum stun. I'm saving the details of the close-in fighting for the shock and awe factor. It won't be pretty. Go somewhere else, say, that guy with the surface to air missile array.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimking100 View Post
MoonlightShadow...I agree, lost my house to ex-wife last year. Wonder if I would have had a better chance against pirates. Could have shot her but the idea of a life sentence in a third-world Virginia prison didn't appeal to me. Tried Fixer's idea of "avoidance, deterence, and de-escalation" but that didn't work with her.
jim
Join the club.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:28   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
DGC,

We all have an obligation to protect our crew. After using force on somebody why in the world would you hang around to speak with the local authorities of a banana republic? While on holiday in Central Europe several years ago I was left no choice but to use overwhelming force against several attackers. After which, the last thing I wanted to do was to be detained by the local authorities, and that was in Europe. I left the area and enjoyed the rest of my holiday.

Avoidance, deterrence and de-escalation are best options for personal security. But we all must prepare for the time when the fight comes to us and those non-violent options are taken away.
I do not question protecting your crew (or yourself). I'm all for it. Good that you were able to get away. In many of the scenarios discussed around here, that may not have been an option.

I just question this obsession many have with discussing and preparing for something that is never going to happen (certainly no more likely than if you lived on land). Like hurricanes, pirates can be avoided by the application of a little planning and a little common sense. (I wouldn't take my family for a walk through many inner-city neighborhoods at midnight, why would I consider sailing with them off the coast of Somalia?) Seems to me that these re-occurring threads are mostly a display of testosterone.

There are dozens of real things that can get you and/or your crew killed or injured on a boat. Some of the people who are obsessed with whether or not they should carry an arsenal to the Bahamas should be little more concerned with learning how to properly inspect their standing rigging or what constitutes proper ground tackle.

DGC
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09   #96

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Skyler R. Chapman View Post
Buy a 12 guage double barrel shotgun and saw off the barrel to 18" then the handle for a pistol grip. Paint it orange then in black paint write " flare gun" keep flares in it while going through customs. hide the real things until nighttime. works all over the world.
I would love to see you try it in Australia in fact I would pay for the performance. As well I would have a camera handy to take a picture of the look on your face
Does it ever occur to Americans why there supposedly rich mega equiped armed forces, with the biggest best most advanced weapons have such high casualty figures and that is after allowing for more troops deployed? Also why they manage to kill so many of their own and non US troops with friendly fire.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:12   #97

Boat: deboated
"Seems to me that these re-occurring threads are mostly a display of testosterone" Could not agree more goodnight!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57   #98

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Part of meyermm' post
"Does it ever occur to Americans why there supposedly rich mega equiped armed forces, with the biggest best most advanced weapons have such high casualty figures and that is after allowing for more troops deployed? Also why they manage to kill so many of their own and non US troops with friendly fire."

Was there any special reason this was added? It reads like a display of testosterone to me and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject.
I do agree the shotgun ruse wouldn't get past a competent inspector.
Steve
Old 07-04-2009, 08:06   #99
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
Part of meyermm' post
"Does it ever occur to Americans why there supposedly rich mega equiped armed forces, with the biggest best most advanced weapons have such high casualty figures and that is after allowing for more troops deployed? Also why they manage to kill so many of their own and non US troops with friendly fire."

Was there any special reason this was added? It reads like a display of testosterone to me and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject.
I do agree the shotgun ruse wouldn't get past a competent inspector.
Steve
First, I think the answer is clear to all us dumb inbreds.
Second, I doubt the ruse would even get by an incompetent inspector
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:58   #100

DGC is spot on....so many other things on our boats that can harm us.
All I am saying is that it never hurts to have a plan, like we do for most issues that my arise. All of us think things through and run situations through our minds such as "when____ happens, then I will _____." This way we make better faster decisions when the anchor drags, when a hose clamps let go, when we are demasted, etc.
Cheers.
Old 14-04-2009, 10:46   #101

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
OK guys..there are those of us women who lost our homes to the man...so it swings both ways...it's not the gender that creates the havoc..it's the person
Old 21-04-2009, 13:33   #102

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
[QUOTE] OK guys..there are those of us women who lost our homes to the man...so it swings both ways...it's not the gender that creates the havoc..it's the person.

You're right jwidahonurse. I was a psychotherpist for years and saw the same issues between men/women, men/men, and women/women. Rarely saw gender as the main issue. No offense intended.
jim
Old 15-02-2010, 12:11   #103

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Drinking in the cockpit with a friend mine one time, we had this idea (we had a lot to drink):

Install sprayers on the spreaders, and a little pump that would basically coat the boat in gasoline. When the bad guys are there, stand there with a flare gun aimed at the deck. Ask them to leave.

It's not exactly the brightest idea in the world, but it's still kinda funny to imagine.
Indeed. I met a Phillipino man who had been all over the world in his little 20 something foot sailboat. According to him a molitov cocktail is the biggest piracy deterrent he had come across. So while your spreader talk may not be smart, a variant of it could work.

These threads are usually unfortunately filled with ridicule rather than cool headed advice. Let people do what they want in order to feel safe. A good place to look for information on what really happens in an attack is noonsite piracy pages: Noonsite: Piracy

I would venture to say, that the choice to carry firearms probably depends on where you intend to travel. It is easy to say that you would never cary them if you are in a part of the world that is relatively safe, and harder if you are running through the gulf of Aden.

I can see both sides of this discussion, and it really is too bad that neither side articulates their position well.
Old 15-02-2010, 14:07   #104

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK View Post

I could almost practically build a bomb out of a paperclip. I can make household chemicals into a biological contaniment.

My suggestion is this Carl.

If you want to defend yourself. Without guns. I'd go with biological weaponary.

The simpliest one I can recommend to you over this forum is bleach & ammonia mixture. Very harmful in close quarters.
You meant to say "Chemical weapon" I am sure, to make "Bological weapons" one will need viruses and bacteria among others. Good to know anyways.
Old 15-02-2010, 14:57   #105

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK View Post
I too agree with Micheal, & Scott.

Violence begets violence. It does not hurt to be neutral.

I could almost practically build a bomb out of a paperclip.

Your brain is the best weapon. Think ahead. Be alert. Avoid areas prone to pirating!! That's my advise there!!
On the subject of bombs and paprclips, we used to have a TV program here called Blue Peter, where they made wonderful things out of sticky back plastic and Fairly Liquid bottles. One could try various other household appliances. Maybe, one could try a beachball, connected to various drinking straws, in turn feeding into the kettle on the cooker. If you drop into Iran before transiting the Gulf of Aden, you could pick-up a bit of Uranium 235/8 and Tritium. Put the Tritium in the beach ball and the Uranium in the kettle, then sit hard on the beach ball so you inject it into the kettle through the drinking straws.

Naaaaahhh. I like your last bit of advice best. Avoidance is better than evasion.

A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: