Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2006, 13:53   #16

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Deterant

We used to have two shepherd cross dogs on the farm. They earned their reputation. I built them each a suitably sized dog box. I buried the dogs about three years ago but the dog boxes are still here. That is enough to keep folks on the other side of the gate about 200 feet away. The new dogs bark but would not attack anything. They are in Holland at the moment, so all I have is the dog kennells. Still works well though.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 14:52   #17

I am a firm believer in conceal carry laws! With saying that I will also say I am a Republican! Now with saying that the VP of the USA is an idiot and should be disarmed before he kills a hunting dog!!! If he wants to kill something let him go over to Iraq and help our troops do the dirty work... Killing innocent birds and animals don't make a man!

I also have/had a suggestion for overcrowding prisions.. Fence an area of 50 sq. miles, electric fence it with 500,000volts and turn criminals that are sentenced to death out there with knifes and guns... THAN sell hunting licenses to our 'sportsmans' to go and finish the job our do-gooder's prevent the legal system from carrying out. After all isn't this what hunting is all about - If your smarter and handier with a gun? Hunting licenses go to the highest bidder - The money goes to the victims. Also make the lawyers who get those criminals off RESPONSIBLE for that criminal and his actions!! IF the criminal fails the system and returns to prision so does his lawyer!! You would end all this crap with Do-gooders helping the poor innocent criminal!!
jimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 15:34   #18

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Not concealed

My point illustrated. Which post referred to the VP 2IC as an idiot?
Many share your point of view. Is it working?? May I suggest though that you do not export these views. The situation is much different in other countries, You are not crazy about do gooders, while other countries are not crazy about people carrying guns.
The latest bumper sticker says " I would rather hunt with Cheney, than ride with Kennedy "
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 16:38   #19
Kai Nui

Hey, now that's an idea. Lets bring Cheney along as an "Improvised weapon"
I am curious how bow and arrows are received? Anyone have any experience with this? Before the barrage of critisizm, target shooting is a hobby. It would be fun to carry my bow with me. Never really considered it an option until now.
Old 15-02-2006, 19:11   #20

BC Mike C~

I guess I have no choice EVERY time I'm in a car/truck I ride with "Kennedy" for my last name is KENNEDY! And YES my great grandfather came from Ireland and lived in Boston and my Grandfather live there for a number of years before coming to Chicago as a firefighter...

I would STILL rather ride with "KENNEDY" than go hunting with an idiot!!

As far as Conceal Gun Law - I don't carry, but I believe innocent AMERICANS should have the right to carry if they want since we can't depend on our Police Departments to be there on our doorsteps when we need them...

jimini® JMHO
Old 15-02-2006, 19:14   #21

Actually, I don't need a gun --- I'll just use my car!

jimini®
Old 15-02-2006, 20:07   #22
Kai Nui

Yumpin Yimini! Yer makin me nervous
Old 15-02-2006, 20:51   #23

Crossbows & arrows?

I have thought of that one a while back. When I was thinking of not wanting to bring a gun onboard a boat.

Crossbows might be more friendlier?

Or one of those underwater spear guns?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 00:11   #24

Boat: Carl Bostek
If only.......

Non-resistance is a good option unless the bad guys simply open fire when they get close as happened off the coast of Yemen recently. Those boaters didn't offer resistance until after they took fire. Then the only thing that saved them was a 12 guage and ramming.

Well, a steel boat makes a good ram if you can get the bad guys to hold still!

I certainly prefer to avoid any potentially violent encounters, but I'm not particularly willing to be a victim if I can't be sure the bad guys are just going to steal my stuff and leave without harming me or my crew. I may be in doubt about their intentions if they board me in the middle of the night unnoticed, but when they open fire on approach I think I know where I stand.

Unfortunately, I can't carry enough firepower to outgun the bad guys even if it were legal. One or two people on a sailboat aren't much of a match for a speedboat with 6 to 10 guys armed with automatic weapons. Fortunately, most of the bad guys aren't that well armed. So a 12 guage should work fine if I can't keep them off the boat with improvised defensive weapons.

I guess it just boils down to whether you plan to be a victim or attempt to defend yourself.

I'm sorry if I stirred up a political/philosophical debate. Not trying to push anyone's buttons!

And, yes I'm American, I'm from Alaska, I'm retired military, I'm a Democrat and a member of the ACLU as well as the NRA. And I carry concealed (legal in Alaska). That gives me the option of armed resistance if I need it. In all the years I've carried, I've never even had to draw my weapon. I hope that never changes.

Cheers,

Carl
S/V Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 00:30   #25
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I've pondered the case of those two boats off Yemen. It is amazing they were able to prevail against a much larger force. They were obviously very experienced shooters and held firm. A little scary that the protection of sailing in company didn't work here.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 12:34   #26

Boat: Carl Bostek
"It is amazing they were able to prevail against a much larger force. They were obviously very experienced shooters and held firm. A little scary that the protection of sailing in company didn't work here."

I don't agree. I think the fact that there were two boats together made a big difference in the outcome since one was able to ram the attackers. Also, as I understand it, only one person was armed and used his weapon to repel the pirates. I think his choice of weapon was important: 00 buckshot is approximately 32 caliber and a 12g shell has a couple of dozen pellets. That's serious firepower.

Nowlin says only one of the attackers was armed with an automatic weapon. That was fortunate. I doubt he could have successfully repelled the attack if there were several pirates so armed.

Fortunately, most of this kind of behavior by pirates has been limited to the area near Somalia -- a place I will try to avoid! Too bad, I'd like to go to the Med after sailing to Australia next year but I'm not willing to risk the piracy in the Malacca Straits or the Red Sea. So I either go around the Cape or take the North Pacific route, go back down to Panama and cross the Atlantic. What a pain! All because the world's goverments have yet to take definitive action against piracy. But maybe that will change now that they're attacking cruise ships.

Cheers,

Carl
S/V Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 11:59   #27

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Nowlin also acknowledged that they got lucky - had the "pirates" had the sense to stand off at a distance and shoot them to bits, they would not have had a chance. No telling what would have happened if they did not offer resistance - they may have just lost some goodies... or they may have been simply lost at sea.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 12:21   #28
Kai Nui

I agree that if a firearm is to be carried, it should be a shotgun. As for automatic weapons being more of a danger, try to hit anything firing on full auto from the deck of a small boat.
The circumstances of the particular attack you are refering too are quite rare. This is admitedly one of those circumstance that having firearms on board would be a benefit, but it is the exception. When a boat comes roaring up with guns blaring, there is no mistaking their intentions. If this was the common approach, I would be in full support if keeping firearms aboard, but it is not.
Old 18-03-2006, 16:34   #29

Boat: Moody 471
Send a message via Skype™ to Borden
Weapons

Reading this thread and residing in a country where gun carrying is illegal (the UK) I'm surprised at how prepared some folks seem to be to carry arms and kill.

Yes I did say kill otherwise what's the point in carying a gun?

The 'pirates' - nautical armed robbers - have much less to lose than the average cruiser who is floating about in a vessel that is worth much more than they could possibly earn in several dozen lifetimes they also live in a culture where life is cheap.

Realistically, what can we lose that's not replaceable?

Point a gun at someone who cares very little for their own life and much less for yours and you stand an excellent chance of being dead very soon. You can't get that fixed!

There, that's my point of view on this thread.

Just to finish off on the issue of the VP of the USA having to go hunting. Are there no food shops in Washington?

Borden
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 16:45   #30

Borden once whispered in the wind
Quote:
Are there no food shops in Washington?
Of course they have grocery stores (food markets) and resturants of all types in Washington DC!!

The VP likes to hunt. In the US. Hunting is either a sport. Or to hunt for food.

In the case of the VP. He's only hunting for sporting purposes!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote