Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 08:20   #136

You want an improvised weapon? Carry some amonia--it's just cleaner. Carry a squirt gun--it's just a toy. Put the two together and one squirt in the face will disable an intruder long enough for you to push him overboard, or to grab a nice, big pan out of the galley to whack him over the head with.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:04   #137

Boat: Irwin sloop
Amonia squirt guns were carried by newspaper delivery boys in the "1950's" as protection against vicious dogs. It was so effective and painfull that our "Town Fathers" banned it as animal cruelty. It was pretty traumatic for the dog but after a few bites the choices got easier.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:09   #138

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Greenn Badge

Just tell the boarder you have a Green Badge on CF. That should scare him away.
Clyde
Old 18-02-2011, 09:31   #139
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You want an improvised weapon? Carry some amonia--it's just cleaner. Carry a squirt gun--it's just a toy. Put the two together and one squirt in the face will disable an intruder long enough for you to push him overboard, or to grab a nice, big pan out of the galley to whack him over the head with.

No need to fanny around with a squirt gun - just want a largish (litre sized) squeezable bottle with at least a 1/2" opening (like a Bottle of Water). With a bit of practice (the secret is also using arm motion as well as simply squeezing - as the Bishop said to the Actress )..........can get very accurate with delivering a large dollop of liquid (albeit probably only half the contents ) - but half a litre of water will get someone very wet. very quickly - courtesy of Songkran's long past that one

Half a litre of petrol would get someone very much on fire (light afterwards - if they haven't worked out what is coming next, and have already departed. quickly ). Just stand near the fire extinguisher - both to put yourself / boat out with and use to brain him with (folk on fire tend to be a bit excitable). Of course would help to be a smoker
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:42   #140

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day. But set him on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 04:56   #141

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Question Re: Improvised Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
One shot with the flare gun would be better than nothing... a good old fashioned Remington 870 pump with a barrel cut to 20" and the stock removed leaving only the pistol grip makes for a gun thats small and easy to put away. Now load it with five standard 2 3/4" shells with 00 buck shot. Each shell contains 9 round shot pellets that are .33" dia and weigh 54 grains each for a total of 1.1 oz. Average number of "hits" on a humanoid target at 50 yards is 3. At 25 yards you should get 6 hits and anything closer than 30 feet you can expect all 9 finding the target. Each pellet that hits the target at 50 yards or less is striking with about the same force as a .32 special round. Multiply that by a total of 9 potential hits and it becomes clear why a shotgun is so formidable. Oh and if you're a poor shot, you have four more chances! Just sayin...
You will of course declare your 870 at Customs/Immigration at every foreign port you enter.
Old 31-03-2011, 05:10   #142

Boat: Carl Bostek
Re: Improvised Weapons

If I'm home in Alaska waters, I've got my sidearm. When I'm in some State with pansy firearm laws, i.e., restrictive, I'm going for a spear gun. I also keep a dirk on board close to hand. Those will take care of the odd would be burglar. For pirates, I want something else -- minigun, M69, RPG, 50 cal and a squad of SF, SAS or Blackwater mercs. But I can't have those, so I just stay out of dangerous waters.
S/V Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 05:21   #143

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just carry those old giant Lawn Jarts,

I still have nightmares,,,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 05:53   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Aphrodite View Post
If I'm home in Alaska waters, I've got my sidearm. When I'm in some State with pansy firearm laws, i.e., restrictive ...
"Pansy" laws? A little insecure in our manhood, are we?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:11   #145

Boat: Carl Bostek

Nope, not one bit. And that wasn't a sexual reference. Feel free to substitute namby pamby, whimpy, lame, asinine, or just plain idiotic.

At 64 I'm in no shape for hand to hand combat with the average young burglar. So I rely on an equalizer. Preferably semi-auto, but I'll use anything that will give me a better chance of survival.

Everyone has a choice of how to respond. I prefer not to be a helpless victim.
S/V Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:31   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Nope, not one bit. And that wasn't a sexual reference. Feel free to substitute namby pamby, whimpy, lame, asinine, or just plain idiotic...
There's no need to use any of those pejorative editorial adjectives, when you’ve used the factually accurate “restrictive”. To do so, merely adds heat to the discussion, with little corresponding illumination.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:38   #147
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

absolutly, the citizens of most of these countries that have "pansy" laws on firearms are usually happy about them, in fact many want them further restricted.

DAve
Old 31-03-2011, 06:46   #148

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Your right about that, Bill.
For some of us who have pulled the trigger, yes, it'll change you. For f***ing ever! Everyone who does feels something, unless your more animal deep down than human. You may or may not question yourself as to whether you should have pulled the trigger. That's relative to the individual (and the courts, dependant on your local laws). I don't believe I need to reiterate Texas law/feelings on that, tho. But what's the saying that goes around here sometimes?
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
...or have a loved one carried by six.
And I've carried a few.

Interestingly enough; of all the "events" from the blockade during the first Gulf War the one I still have nightmares of is the big guy that literally sh^t his pants when I racked the Mossburg in his direction. At the time they were all "Ragheads" now I view them as soldiers/sailors just doing the same job I was doing.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:55   #149
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Nope, not one bit. And that wasn't a sexual reference. Feel free to substitute namby pamby, whimpy, lame, asinine, or just plain idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There's no need to use any of those pejorative editorial adjectives, when you’ve used the factually accurate “restrictive”. To do so, merely adds heat to the discussion, with little corresponding illumination.
Hmm... not sure if I can agree with you Gord on this one; while using "restrictive" is factually accurate, S/V A's use of the other adjectives tells me a lot about how he feels about the subject. While his feelings may not be important to the substance of the debate, I think it is often good to know something more of the person who is delivering his/her point of view. So for me, it does add some illumination (and colour)!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 07:01   #150
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Its a case that the thoses who are enthusiastic about guns wish to see less restrictive rules and thoses that have no interest or activelu dislike them , wish for more restrictive rules. round and round it goes.

Dave