Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Imaginary Helmsman

Slocum talks about a "homonculus" who steered for him during a storm when he was too fatigued to go on. I have read of such an imaginary helmsman in at least a few other solo single-handed accounts and have a friend who claims that someone took over duties at the wheel from him after 50 some hours of solo helming.

Not an entirely serious thread, but just curious what others think about this phenomenon.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Imaginary Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Slocum talks about a "homonculus" who steered for him during a storm when he was too fatigued to go on. I have read of such an imaginary helmsman in at least a few other solo single-handed accounts and have a friend who claims that someone took over the helming duties from him after 50 some hours of solo sailing.

Not an entirely serious thread, but just curious what others think about this phenomenon.
Manery and Tinkerbell had such a pilot crossing the Atlantic...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Sleep deprivation does cause hallucinations. On a trip to Key West some years ago I was required to stand continuous watch because of very bad weather. After 20 hours at the helm in really rotten conditions, we were approaching Key West somewhat before sunrise and I kept imagining islands to our east even though I knew darned well there were none there. Never the less their apparent presence was rather compelling and were I in unknown waters I might have reacted rather than simply ignoring the impression and trusting my instruments. FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Wasn't Slocumb sick at the time? So a fever can bring on hallucinations, as does fatigue.
I think they are probably quite normal for a fatigued or I'll mind to conjure up what you would like... Relief from the storm, someone strong guiding etc.

Far better than the other way where fatigue could produce like what some drugs produce... Visions of horror!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13   #5

Hallucinations can be powerful things. Obviously, this is nothing more than that.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Wasn't Slocumb sick at the time? So a fever can bring on hallucinations, as does fatigue.
I think they are probably quite normal for a fatigued or I'll mind to conjure up what you would like... Relief from the storm, someone strong guiding etc.

Far better than the other way where fatigue could produce like what some drugs produce... Visions of horror!
Slocum had rather over indulged in goat's cheese and Pico plumbs which anyone/everyone knows is a fool's mix. Fortunately for him the helmsman from the Pinta arrived on the scene and held Spray on course while Slocum endured his abdominal phenominal, chiding him for having indulged in such foolish provisions and regaling him with tales of travel and travail with Senior Capitan Columbo.

Ya gotta know yer history son....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the stories come mostly from solo sailors: they get more tired, they have no company to talk to, they may start seeing and hearing things other people do not see and hear.

Never happened to me. My crew had hearing hallucinations once - this was too after many hours of exhausting watches and too little sleep.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

Slocum had rather over indulged in goat's cheese and Pico plumbs which anyone/everyone knows is a fool's mix. Fortunately for him the helmsman from the Pinta arrived on the scene and held Spray on course while Slocum endured his abdominal phenominal, chiding him for having indulged in such foolish provisions and regaling him with tales of travel and travail with Senior Capitan Columbo.

Ya gotta know yer history son....
Speaking of knowing history..... The helmsman accompanied Slocum for much of his journey. They first met off that night, but like many noteworthy hallucinations he came by often.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33   #9

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Might also be that a well balanced seaworthy boat handles itself fine. The skippers though he's somehowe irreplaceable navigating throw the eye of the storm being just delucion..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Might also be that a well balanced seaworthy boat handles itself fine. The skippers though he's somehowe irreplaceable navigating throw the eye of the storm being just delucion..
Actually, the Spray reportedly would hold a steady course with well trimmed and balanced sails and the helm free. The Hiscock's had the same experience, off the wind, with Wanderer III in the 1950's as did Joe Richards with his Freedom Sloop, Princess, in the 1930's-40's. In each case, the helm was left free.

FWIW...
Old 09-01-2013, 08:51   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Old boat in my harbour, double ender, claims to have sailed 17 days on trimmed sails alone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57   #12

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I once had to chase an elephant off of my foredeck.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I once had to chase an elephant off of my foredeck.
I had the same experience also, but mine was pink, and get out of there flying!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:25   #14

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
I had the same experience also, but mine was pink, and get out of there flying!
Mine was grey with small ears. Yelling didn't work so I attached my teather to the jackline and went forward using a winch handle to force it to leave.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50   #15

We are social animals and crave company.

Robin Knox-Johnson claims it never happened to him. But there is one incident about which he writes hearing a voice that sure sounds like a hallucination.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote