Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:19   #1

Boat: O'day 302, 30'
Illegally Discharging Waste in FL

I just returned from a live aboard sailing school where the common practice was the direct discharge of waste into the water. For a week, whether at anchorage or at a marina, our waste never hit the holding tank. I thought this was just our instructor going rogue and doing what he wanted since he had a "get out of jail free card", as he would say. (He was a reserve Coastie). Then I learned that another boat from the same school was doing the same thing. Between the two boats, all 7 students were pretty shocked at the blatant law breaking, and I have to wonder how common is this?

My holding tank is currently full and smelly - am I the only one following the law?

Why would an accredited sailing school so blatantly thumb their nose at the law? I read a review of the school and another former student reported the exact same practice, so it's clearly not an isolated incident.
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26   #2

Re: Illegally Discharging Waste in FL

People suck, give the real Coast Guard or Florida Fish and Wildlife a call
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26   #3

I don't know about Cocoa Beach, but I wouldn't want to get caught doing that (or even having my toilet set up to be able to do that) in the Keys.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
People suck, give the real Coast Guard or Florida Fish and Wildlife a call
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55   #5

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
I just returned from a live aboard sailing school where the common practice was the direct discharge of waste into the water. For a week, whether at anchorage or at a marina, our waste never hit the holding tank. I thought this was just our instructor going rogue and doing what he wanted since he had a "get out of jail free card", as he would say. (He was a reserve Coastie). Then I learned that another boat from the same school was doing the same thing. Between the two boats, all 7 students were pretty shocked at the blatant law breaking, and I have to wonder how common is this?

My holding tank is currently full and smelly - am I the only one following the law?

Why would an accredited sailing school so blatantly thumb their nose at the law? I read a review of the school and another former student reported the exact same practice, so it's clearly not an isolated incident.
If you use premium hose and install the system properly you will not have odors.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 07:13   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Ha! One time when I was hauled out apparently the boat next to me dumped their holding tank on the ground below my boat. I had to work on the boat for weeks in that stench.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post

If that is the case, and you are certain and you were in a No Discharge Zone ("NDZ"), you should report the event to the Coast Guard and/or the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. In other non-NDZ areas, one can discharge waste but as a matter of principal and common courtesy should not do so in inshore waters. Inshore we always use our holding tank. Off shore, we use our forward head which is fitted with an Electrosan Waste Treatment device.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2013, 09:26   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
If that is the case, and you are certain and you were in a No Discharge Zone ("NDZ"), you should report the event to the Coast Guard and/or the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. In other non-NDZ areas, one can discharge waste but as a matter of principal and common courtesy should not do so in inshore waters. Inshore we always use our holding tank. Off shore, we use our forward head which is fitted with an Electrosan Waste Treatment device.

FWIW...

I hope you just typed this wrong!

If you have an Electroscan you can discharge within 3 miles IF it isn't a NDZ. If you don't have an electroscan you can NEVER discharge within 3 miles. If in a NDZ you can never discharge.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The problem in the Keys and elsewhere in Florida is the lack of ample access to pumpout stations. If you are cruising from Marco to the western keys,(uninhabited) on the Gulf of Mexico, you have only a couple safe entries into Marathon and Key West and a lot of miles in between. If you sail to the Marquesas or Ft. Jefferson, you're a long way from any marina. It is difficult to cruise leisurely on a 35 foot boat or less when you have to pump out every few days. When the government makes regulations to insure no discharge, they should also make it readily available for those on the water to have numerous options for waste disposal. If you want the honest truth, most full time cruisers we met did not use their holding tanks unless they were at a marina or in an anchorage like Miami, Boot Key and Key West that had the service readily available. And, it doesn't make it right, it's just the reality for cruisers who do not return to a marina at the end of the day.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15   #10

Boat: Mason 43

There is no excuse, go three miles offshore and pump it out. Our head goes into the holding tank and that needs to be pumped out either at a pump out station or overboard by hand. No way for an unintentional discharge.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20   #11

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

Monroe County will pump you out for free! NO EXCUSE!Just call them and the come. pumpoutusaflkets.com
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 10:24   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

How hard is it to make a long tack, get on the intercom and announce "Bombadier, we are outside the three mile limit. Stand by to open the bomb bay doors."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I hope you just typed this wrong!

If you have an Electroscan you can discharge within 3 miles IF it isn't a NDZ. If you don't have an electroscan you can NEVER discharge within 3 miles. If in a NDZ you can never discharge.
My earlier statement was evidently unclear. The following is summary of the Law from the Coast Guard's web site:

Quote:
Federal law prohibits the discharge of untreated sewage from vessels within navigable waters of the United States, which include territorial seas within three miles of shore and most bays and estuaries. Boats with Type I and II marine sanitation devices (MSD's) may discharge treated effluent in coastal waters unless they are in a no discharge area.
The Raritan Electro/San is a CG Approved Type I MSD that treats waste well in excess of minimum Clean Water Act requirements without chemicals or other deleterious materials as affirmed by several CG inspections without citations. They are not, however, usable within a No Discharge Zone. As a practical matter we rely on our aft-head and holding tank whenever we are within the 3 mile limit for the most part.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 10:58   #14

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

A friend from Montana got just a USD 1500 fine because of not having a holding tank. Although, in Texas I was also suggested to discharge the black waters into the Marina. Finally couldn´t do different, since there is no place to hire a truck opr something to empty. People tell, that the discharges from the houses run partially still into the waters, so whatfore the law not to discharge.
I don´t liked it either, but there is no other way to do. It seems to be kind of an American problem....
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2013, 13:09   #15
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

As for this violation, I'm shocked and sad that this behavior is taught at a sailing school. Related topic: it may help with the stink question that a guy has invented a dispenser that works per flush rather than dosing the holding tank periodically. It's supposed to be safe for pump-out stations. He's marketing now mostly to RV's but the unit will fit many marine heads. Look into Blue Streak. No endorsement implied.