Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 13:05   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Illegally Discharging Waste in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
For those who are inclined to read for themselves, details from both the EPA and the Coast Guard here Marine Sanitation Devices | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA and here USCG Systems Engineering Division (CG-ENG-3) .

Basically, if you have a type 1 or 2 MSD then you can discharge anywhere EXCEPT in a designated NDZ. If you have a type 3 MSD then you can only discharge when beyond 3 miles.

Not a word, in any of the regulations, about "going" directly over the side, or while in the water.

Whether it goes over the side, through the bottom, over the bow or over the boom, I think it could still reasonably be called a "discharge"
Old 14-03-2013, 14:25   #122

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Whether it goes over the side, through the bottom, over the bow or over the boom, I think it could still reasonably be called a "discharge"
I think the difference people usually allude to is that these regs revolve around MSDs and their use. Since the discharge of waste from a "holding tank" (type 3 MSD) is what's discussed in these regs, it's assumed that the "peeing overboard" bypasses the rule since it is never placed into an MSD.

Take it for what it's worth: I don't know anyone who wouldn't pee over the side if they were out of sight of others, and this thread is about discharging a holding tank in a marina...which is just HORRID!
Old 14-03-2013, 14:52   #123
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Sometime I wish there were Y valves attached to peoples back. That way when they're full I could just walk behind them, turn it in the right direction and let them start all over.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 14-03-2013, 14:57   #124

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I'm sure a good lawyer could argue a case either for or against 'reasonable' discharge whether over the rail (although indecent exposure is usually a bigger deal) or 'pump out under extraneous circumstances' nice title for it huh?

Either way, I think most all of us can get behind the general idea that as a society, we're doing a poor job of taking care of our oceans, regardless what percent we as boaters contribute to the problem.

That said, I personally feel there would be more honesty in the overboard discharge of treated waste than using a restroom on land and pretending you aren't part of the problem. Just because its the town that's flushing our poo into the ocean doesn't make it any less our poo. The defensive stance against that is that townships are supposed to properly treat the waste before discharge, which I suppose is a valid argument, although In my opinion its still not a responsible.

In a perfect world, every boat would treat their waste at or above a minimum standard and be able to discharge anywhere outside of a congested harbor. We would authorize the funding of technologically cleaner, more advanced sanitation in every town and city, Agricultural products would be engineered with runoff in mind and local waters would be regularly tested and reports given where the public could have access to them.

Oh wait, supposedly we do all but the first one in the usa. When exactly are we going to start doing the things we say we're doing?

For my part, when anchored inland or at my winter marina I use a portapoty and empty it on land because that's the law, I don't have any illusions that what I'm doing is any better than a direct discharge, it just goes to someone elses part of the ocean. I'd love to get a waste treatment system, if there was any point.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 14-03-2013, 14:59   #125

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
I think the difference people usually allude to is that these regs revolve around MSDs and their use. Since the discharge of waste from a "holding tank" (type 3 MSD) is what's discussed in these regs, it's assumed that the "peeing overboard" bypasses the rule since it is never placed into an MSD.

Take it for what it's worth: I don't know anyone who wouldn't pee over the side if they were out of sight of others, and this thread is about discharging a holding tank in a marina...which is just HORRID!
FWIW, the primary health concern has to do with coliform bacteria of which there is none in urine. To some extent, urine is 'sterile", to the degree that the person discharging same is not afflicted with a bladder or urinary tract infection or certain other diseases. Interestingly, one of the unpleasant by product effects of urine discharge in waters arises from the extent to which the person is using certain drugs and/or medications. It has been found, for example, that when fish are exposed to water wherein waste discharges contain anti-depressants, the fish become much more bold and less likely to respond to danger warnings/threats. With this, they become easy pray for preditors. Similarly, certain hormon treatments are filtered from the bloodstream by one's kidneys and the material discharged in the urine. Even small concentrations can had adverse on the fauna (imagine Jaws on Steroids).

Actually, IMHO this discourse has gone on quite long enough. It would seem simple common sense and common courtesy not to befould the waters with anything an leave it at that, Non?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 14-03-2013, 15:12   #126

But again I'll point out that the OP was talking about a sailing school openly pumping a tank INSIDE a Marina. All discussion of urine being sterile (it is, usually), 3 mile limits, and city slicker waste are pointless.
Old 14-03-2013, 15:26   #127
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not a word, in any of the regulations, about "going" directly over the side, or while in the water.
And once again it will be pointed out that those are BOAT regulations. Which doesn't mean it is Ok or not against some other law.

It would be like saying is is illegal to pee on the sidewalk, but that auto rule don't have anything about it, so that makes it OK to pee on the sidewalk from inside your car.

But you appear pretty firm that it is OK to pee etc into the water from the boat, so what is the point as you are more interested in playing the word game loop hole approach than following any intent of the rules.
Old 14-03-2013, 18:51   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
... so that makes it OK to pee on the sidewalk from inside your car.
Ummmm it's NOT?
Old 15-03-2013, 06:10   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
...so what is the point as you are more interested in playing the word game loop hole approach than following any intent of the rules.
And yet once again, you seem to be trying to deliberately miss the point.

For the umpteenth time now, my point is that it is an indication of how utterly absurd the federal marine sanitation laws are. They should regulate, in a rational manner, the various ways that waste gets into the water, but they don't. They prohibit you from peeing into a cup and dumping that into the water, but they make it perfectly legal to pee directly into the water--apparently hoping that some other entity will take up that particular issue. It makes no sense at all, and as such is a perfect example of laws that SEEM to be regulating something, but in reality leave loopholes that you could drive a battleship through, and as a result often end up being counter-productive.

And that includes municipalities dumping their waste into the oceans. Yes, there is a presumption that they treat the waste first. And most of the time they do. Except when they don't.

You see, every municipal system out there has some provision for dumping untreated waste when they are overwhelmed. In Florida, for example, that can happen when a hurricane or tropical storm drops a couple feet of rain in a matter of days. Then, to prevent everything just overflowing, the cities open up the pipes and dump untreated sewage. And this, too, is perfectly legal. Millions of gallons directly into the water, that's okay when the city does it, but an ounce from a boat and you'll get fines that would bankrupt you.

It makes no sense. That we tolerate these kinds of idiotic laws is a poor reflection on us, as an electorate.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 07:38   #130

Boat: Beneteau 393

Boaters in general and especially cruisers often talk about striving to be free of burdonsome and unnecessary regulations. Threads like this just shoot ourselves in the foot.

If we really want to limit the amount of regulations and government oversight we are subjected to, then we need to do a better job at policing ourselves and setting high standards for others to follow.

This means ensuring we follow current regulations. It means treating people, property, and the environment with respect, and it means educating and pressuring fellow boaters to follow suit.

(off my soapbox)

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 13:13   #131

Quote:
But again I'll point out that the OP was talking about a sailing school openly pumping a tank INSIDE a Marina. All discussion of urine being sterile (it is, usually), 3 mile limits, and city slicker waste are pointless.
Yeah, the original point of the post was a pretty disgusting policy by anybody. Most guys have peed in their front yard, coming home late at night, with a full bladder. I don't know any who have crapped there, though.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 16:17   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Um. I'd like to point out the the regs for discharge for Florida is NINE MILES. Not 3.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 16:23   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Um. I'd like to point out the the regs for discharge for Florida is NINE MILES. Not 3.
And I thought I got it straight between 3 and 12 miles, now you add to my confusion 9 miles ... 6 miles anyone?

Going once, going twice ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 16:26   #134

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=bAZkatCmKNw

Video is better than more text......!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-03-2013, 18:51   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
And that has to do with a Sailing school dumping in the marina how?

I wish the OP would name the school personaly...so that they are either shamed or prosecuted...or defend themselves if they are innocent.