Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 15:35   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Illegally Discharging Waste in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I can't think of anything more encouraging illegal discharges than charging a buck a gal for pumpouts as referred to above.
Jeezus, the sense of entitlement displayed here is amazing. You do not have a constitutional right to free pumpouts courtesy of the American taxpayer. It's your sh*t, you deal with it as mandated by law. Too bad if there is a cost associated with it. Find another sport to be involved with if you don't like it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 15:54   #47

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Illegally Discharging Waste in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Jeezus, the sense of entitlement displayed here is amazing. You do not have a constitutional right to free pumpouts courtesy of the American taxpayer. It's your sh*t, you deal with it as mandated by law. Too bad if there is a cost associated with it. Find another sport to be involved with if you don't like it.
Sir, I find the tone of your comment objectionable.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 15:57   #48

Boat: Outremer 50S

Geez FastBottoms, ever use a public road to haul you and all of your gear between marinas? Why should I, a taxpayer, pay for your access to moderately decent roads so you can make your greedy profit? Did you ever attend public school, maybe learn to read and write so you could post on this forum? Why should a taxpayer cover that?

Because we collectively as a society have decided that free roads are beneficial to the greater good. Because we collectively have decided that education (such as it is) is a good thing. We collectively have also decided that **** in the water is not a good thing and someone wants to voice their opinion that pump-outs should be part of the collective responsibility. You may disagree with that opinion, but then I may disagree with your "entitlement" to use fossil fuel to get around. Be real and be polite.

We collectively need to decide what items are covered by taxpayer funds and what items are not, and that takes a discussion (one our dear elected representatives refuse to have). Be careful, it may be the thing near and dear to your heart (whatever that thing is) that we collectively decide you have to pay for directly rather than from the taxpayer fund.

How would you like a regulation that said you had to collect anything and everything that you scrape off a boat and either prove that it contains no hazardous components or dispose of it as hazardous waste. We're getting pretty close to that. Where do you get the entitlement to scrape that **** into my bay? Oh yeah, ever peed in your wetsuit?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 16:08   #49

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Geez FastBottoms, ever use a public road to haul you and all of your gear between marinas? Why should I, a taxpayer, pay for your access to moderately decent roads so you can make your greedy profit? Did you ever attend public school, maybe learn to read and write so you could post on this forum? Why should a taxpayer cover that?

Because we collectively as a society have decided that free roads are beneficial to the greater good. Because we collectively have decided that education (such as it is) is a good thing. We collectively have also decided that **** in the water is not a good thing and someone wants to voice their opinion that pump-outs should be part of the collective responsibility. You may disagree with that opinion, but then I may disagree with your "entitlement" to use fossil fuel to get around. Be real and be polite.

We collectively need to decide what items are covered by taxpayer funds and what items are not, and that takes a discussion (one our dear elected representatives refuse to have). Be careful, it may be the thing near and dear to your heart (whatever that thing is) that we collectively decide you have to pay for directly rather than from the taxpayer fund.

How would you like a regulation that said you had to collect anything and everything that you scrape off a boat and either prove that it contains no hazardous components or dispose of it as hazardous waste. We're getting pretty close to that. Where do you get the entitlement to scrape that **** into my bay? Oh yeah, ever peed in your wetsuit?
He said in another thread he does not pee in his suit,,,,I was a marine diver,,,,rebreather and scuba....in would work up a pee just to warm up, regardless of having to pee or not....if your cold, work up a piss..it feels good....
Old 12-03-2013, 16:44   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
He said in another thread he does not pee in his suit,,,,I was a marine diver,,,,rebreather and scuba....in would work up a pee just to warm up, regardless of having to pee or not....if your cold, work up a piss..it feels good....
Not only is peeing in your suit disgusting, but it doesn't keep you warm for more than a few minutes. Further, it makes your suit smell horrible. So yes, I do not do it. I work in marinas and am never more than a short putt in my inflatable to a shoreside restroom.
Old 12-03-2013, 16:49   #51

Personally, I would piss after I got in and had not started working yet, so it felt good. My suit never stank. After using a comp as and swimming 3500m underwater to my destination, I figured the piss was flushed away enough. Felt good and wharm while I was a pissing.
Old 12-03-2013, 16:49   #52

In researching composting heads, I've always wondered if they couldn't be considered "holding tanks" by definition? Everything going in stays there.
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 16:53   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where do you get the entitlement to scrape that **** into my bay?
When hull cleaning becomes illegal (like overboard discharges are), I will stop doing it. But maybe you'd prefer having to take your boat to the yard and pay to have them haul it every time you need a simple hull cleaning?
Old 12-03-2013, 17:02   #54

Boat: Outremer 50S

Exactly. You belong to the CPDA, part of whose mission is:

Quote:
The CPDA helps defend the rights of professional divers and hull cleaners so that unnecessary restrictions aren’t imposed when dealing with copper based anti-fouling paints.
From what you've said elsewhere and from your support of CPDA, you seem to think that what you do for a living is a "right" and that things like requiring a haulout for cleaning are "unnecessary restrictions". I happen to agree with you.

Some of the posters here think that no discharge zones are an "unnecessary restriction" or that having to pay for a legally mandated pumpout is an "unnecessary restriction". They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are to yours. A polite discussion about the differences of opinion is just fine.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 17:07   #55

I'm not advocating dumping....I have a composting head and my crap goes into a plastic bag that gets put into a landfill so that you cant see it anymore, so I do my part to follows the rules to protect the planet by following the rules and not breaking the law unlike some who illegally dilute their waste back into nature like those menacing fish do all the time,,,but...

For the sake of argument, just because something is illegal does not make it wrong...
Just because something is legal does not make it right...

For the sake of the examples above, you could talk about prohibition and abortion...those two would fit in quite nice showing that the powers that be in charge are not the best decision makers on right or wrong

Use your own moral compass and live true and you will never go wrong
Old 12-03-2013, 17:21   #56

Quote:

Some of the posters here think that no discharge zones are an "unnecessary restriction" or that having to pay for a legally mandated pumpout is an "unnecessary restriction". They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are to yours. A polite discussion about the differences of opinion is just fine.

+1,000

Our marina has a FREE pumpout station. That's the way to do it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 17:52   #57

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Our marina has a FREE pumpout station. That's the way to do it.
I pay thousands of dollars a year for property taxes on my boat (more than on my home). Thus, I don't believe no-charge pump-out stations are free. And I can't help but think my marina berthing fees are covering the costs.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 18:10   #58

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

I've heard that "the solution to pollution is dillution." The real problem is not out in the open ocean where nature can easily handle any amount of fecal matter. After all, animals have been shitting for billions of years, and where is it all now?

Sewage waste pollution is only a problem in smaller areas without good circulation. Areas like bays, sounds, harbours, inland lakes, etc. Any area that gets a good tidal inflow is not going to be seriously impacted by sewage.

Would I want to swin next to a municipal sewer discharge? Hell no! Would I want to swim next to a boat while he's pumping his holding tank overboard? Nell no, again!

But in a day or two, nature will have taken care of the problem.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 18:13   #59

Boat: O'day 302, 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post

That some part time reservist CG sailing instructor (in the original post) thinks he is above the law would make me ruminate on how much else he was teaching was off the mark also.
You don't want to know...he wasn't really teaching at all, though he did give us the answers to the tests. I feel I have to unlearn all the incorrect things he taught us. Horrible experience with a very unprofessional member of the CG reserve. His sea stories of his conquests of 20 year old girls, showing us his gun...was a week to forget, that's for sure.

That a sailing school could so blatantly thumb their nose at the law...
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 18:16   #60

Quote:
... ever use a public road to haul you and all of your gear between marinas? Why should I, a taxpayer, pay for your access to moderately decent roads so you can make your greedy profit? Did you ever attend public school, maybe learn to read and write so you could post on this forum? Why should a taxpayer cover that? ...
There is a small difference starting with the concept of PUBLIC thingy. Free use of roads, schools, etc helps everybody ... a free marine pumpout would help just a few percent of the population ... it ain't the public thingy ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote Reply