Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-11-2012, 09:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: I Just Quit Smoking!!! I May Be Going Crazy.

I had a friend tell me once, "Never quit quitting". Its not all over if you have a smoke but it is back to square one. Just renew your resolve and keep on keepin on.

What carstenb says above is great. The urges only last a minute or so. When you get one, do something and the urge will disappear. In a little while there will be fewer urges and they will be of shorter duration.

Oh, don't make that something a trip to the fridge....

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02   #17

I quit using the patch 20 years ago but still remember how it and I stank! Keep with it, for me the patch was a reminder that I had quit, when I got the urge I would massage the patch and pull out a wood match and chew on it, I actualy went true a big box of them, after the box and the patch I never looked back...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:06   #18

.... I also picked up training and eating right, do I would not smoke cause I was training and I would not overheat because I was training and so on... You get motivated by the results on your health that usualy go rather fast... Basicaly creating a motivation circle worked for me, I was at 2 packs a day when I said enough...
Good luck
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: I Just Quit Smoking!!! I May Be Going Crazy.

I wish you continued success. I didn't smoke nearly as much as you, and for only one year. I quit in 1972 and there are still times when I would like to have a cigarette. "They" say this is harder than kicking heroin but you've done the worse. Hang tough!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I Just Quit Smoking! I May Be Going Crazy

I've had the same issue as you. Never smoked real heavy, but managed to get myself addicted to about 2 packs a week. My wife smoked for 43 years. I quit cold turkey 3 times. Twice for about a year. Then I thought, "what the heck, i can have one cigarette". Yeah right! and I'd start again. My wife got pneumonia 2 years ago and they gave her the patch when she was inthe hospital. Somehow , she managed to not start again! She never wanted to quit and didnt try. She is smoke free now, but has COPD bad. (ending my liveaboard cruising)
The only way I can keep not smoking (havent for 3 years) is everytime I get an urge to smoke or buy a pack... just give it enough time (5 mins) to get over each urge.... one at a time. After that initial urge.. 5 mins later you are ok.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38   #21

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Or you could try in taking the wife in another 2 weeks cruise without the cigarretes

Hang in there!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42   #22
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Awesome another smoker defeated!!! Let's rid the world of them one at a time!!
I quit (along with my wife) seven years ago but the longer story is that in 1993 we both quit and thought we had it licked. After 3 and half years we slipped and started smoking again.
It was much, much harder to quit after that. The next ten years were full of repeated, failed attempts until finally, I went into camp in the middle of the Northwest Territories for the winter and took no cigarettes. I had a suitcase full of chewing gum and nicotine patches. 3 months later I came out and have not smoked since.
I had smoked for 36 years minus the 3 and a half mentioned above. I thought I was hopelessly addicted for life but did it. You can too!!!
If your wife sees your strength and success, she will find the courage and strength to do it too.

Good on you!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Just putting my thoughts on this forum, has helped, and is encouraging me to stick with it. Before, when I have tried to quit, I didn't tell anyone, in case I didn't make it. This time, I have told everyone that I am quiting because I think it will help me from starting again.
Old 06-11-2012, 22:03   #24
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good on ya Rocketman! I smoked on and off for many years.. but I've quit for the last 7 years. (Except for a little slip here and there) As Mark Twain said " Quiting is easy I've done it a hundred times"

What finally worked for me was that every time I had a craving I would look at my watch and actually time the craving. As time went on the cravings would reduce in numbers and duration. I would tell myself that it only lasts for 1 or 2 minutes and my mind would focus on something else... In the end the cravings would only last 10 seconds or so..

Don't give up the good fight..

B
Old 06-11-2012, 22:15   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Just putting my thoughts on this forum, has helped, and is encouraging me to stick with it. Before, when I have tried to quit, I didn't tell anyone, in case I didn't make it. This time, I have told everyone that I am quiting because I think it will help me from starting again.

Support helps, and anyone who has smoked knows how hard it is. I like that "five minute" idea ... you could even set a timer. I do that with jobs I don't want to do. I want them DONE, but I don't want to DO them. I give myself permission to quit after five minutes.

I never do.
Old 06-11-2012, 23:26   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Cold turkey is hard, I admire you!

I quit near on 4 years ago - after 30 years of smoking - in the company of a wife who smoked (she finally quit earlier this year). It was the second of recent two (and countless past cold turkey) attempts and I used Champix for the first month (as we call it here - is it Chantix over there?). Anyway, I quite enjoyed the variety of weird dreams as I'm normally not much of a dreamer (when asleep at least). Another thing I did was spend the money I had saved on smoking each week. In my case I purchased an old beater 4wd off Ebay and rebuilt it, at a regulated average cost of around $70 per week which equalled about what I normally would have spent on the smokes. The tinkering around also kept me busy when at home and my mind off the cancer sticks. I still have that old, but now not too shabby looking, 4wd sitting under my carport today as my monument to quitting.

Ultimately, as others have said you need to make sure you completely understand that it will be that first smoke that destroys all that hard work and suffering. Simple logic really. If you never have that next smoke, you will never smoke again.

Not to say you will never feel like one. As most ex-smokers will admit every now and you get a sudden urge to have a smoke. Fortunately these are fleeting and pass within seconds.
Old 06-11-2012, 23:34   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Cold turkey is hard, I admire you!

I quit near on 4 years ago - after 30 years of smoking - in the company of a wife who smoked (she finally quit earlier this year). It was the second of recent two (and countless past cold turkey) attempts and I used Champix for the first month (as we call it here - is it Chantix over there?). Anyway, I quite enjoyed the variety of weird dreams as I'm normally not much of a dreamer (when asleep at least). Another thing I did was spend the money I had saved on smoking each week. In my case I purchased an old beater 4wd off Ebay and rebuilt it, at a regulated average cost of around $70 per week which equalled about what I normally would have spent on the smokes. The tinkering around also kept me busy when at home and my mind off the cancer sticks. I still have that old, but now not too shabby looking, 4wd sitting under my carport today as my monument to quitting.

Ultimately, as others have said you need to make sure you completely understand that it will be that first smoke that destroys all that hard work and suffering. Simple logic really. If you never have that next smoke, you will never smoke again.

Not to say you will never feel like one. As most ex-smokers will admit every now and you get a sudden urge to have a smoke. Fortunately these are fleeting and pass within seconds.

Even after all these years -- I quit in 1972 -- there are times. Last summer I was very nearly in a disastrous auto accident. A friend picked me up and I had the car towed (turned out it had developed a steering problem), and continued on to go sailing with friends. One of those friends smoked, and he actually made himself scarce until I stopped asking for a cigarette. Good friend.
Old 07-11-2012, 17:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Rocket man,

I am in the process of quitting right now too. I can't take the chantrix, but Wellbutrin is working pretty good. I've been on it for a week, and I am already down to ony smoking a pack a day (from three). Next week the doc said to start the patch and gum. This is my first time to really try, but I have high hopes. My fiancÚ and I agreed to quit smoking for a wedding resent to each other.

That and once I am done for a year I get to buy another boat, and she gets some pair of shoes (I don't pretend to understand). Once of the things that I keep being told is to reward yourself for both small successes (no smoking for a week) and big successes (for a year, two, ect).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:20   #29

Boat: Ericson 32-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Hi all,

3 weeks ago, I left on a 2 week trip to the Keys and I left my cigarettes at home. I was going on the trip with non-smokers, who knew I was wanting to quite, so they agreed to be understanding and supportive. The first couple of days was a little nervous but realy went well. I did not have the option to smoke so I was able to put it completely out of my head.
When we went into port, I was able to buy cigarettes if I wanted them, and I did want them, but I didn't buy them as I knew I would have to start the whole process over again if I caved, so I managed to stay clean for the 2 weeks that I was out on the boat without to many pangs of craving.
Now that I am back at home, after 3 weeks of not smoking, I am having a harder time then I had the first 3 weeks. My wife smokes, and she also want's to quit but does't seem to want it that bad. She has tried to not smoke in front of me but I can smell it everywhere now. I still haven't given in, I still have not smoked but I have actually woke up in the middle of the night dreaming that I was smoking a cig. I know that I have been a little on edge around my wife, but it seems to be getting harder instead of easier.
I am wondering if any others have gone through this, and what have they done. I am also hoping to get some feed back on how I can convince the better half of me to also quite and what method you used to quite was.
I quite cold turkey. I realy haven't had that much trouble with it until now, 3 weeks later. Has anyone else had the same experiences?

Thanks
Seven years now for me. Stopped drinking alcohol 2 mos ago.....try that one with a boat...lol!
Old 07-11-2012, 18:53   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 39ft Challenger and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

After reading all this I want one....hehe
I stoped 8 years ago and used to smoke rollies 3 pouches per week. Here in OZ they made smokes very expensive and it seems to work, I hardly see anybody smoke those days.
Hang in there mate it will get easier. I used nicotine patches for about 3 month. I don't think I would have done it without the patches.
Stopping smoking was the hardest thing I ever did after 35 years smoking but how good is life without smokes.
Cheers
Reiner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: