Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2006, 22:09   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Actually Paul, you have just remined me of a wee incident at NYears. We were anchoring in a small bay, along with 50 other boats. Not a lot of room, we all had to watch our swing area. But everyone is int eh same,err, boat and if you got too close, or someone else did, you just delt with it and helped the guy move or what ever. No biggy and you often got to know someone out of it. Well, we had just been away exploring for the day and returned to anchor again. Our spot was taken so we pulled up a little further ahead, beside a Gaff rigged old timer Sailing boat with an American Falg. She was beautifully kept. Anyway, I had noted this boat the day before and was going to row over and greet the visitor. But as we came up to drop anchor, this rude Amercan pops his head out the side and states in a very Ruff tome, You will swing into my boat, you will swing into that boat, Find A Bigger hole. Wellllll, I thought, How Rude!! So we found another space some distance away from him and I didn't bother going over to saying hi either.
Yeah I know, I don't tar ALL Americans as that way. This BB has shown me there are great guys from the US.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 22:33   #47
Kai Nui

Welll... Raft up and come aboard bring drinks, and expect to sing
Old 17-01-2006, 22:38   #48

Yeah. Or you could bring your guitar, harmonica. Or bongo drums, & tamborine.

Start a band with all that stuff?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 22:56   #49
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hey Wheels, everybody knows you change the equation in an anchorage when you show up in a ferro
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 23:02   #50

Wheels' ferro, probably made the American man think. He either didn't want his boat near him. Or he knew that his boat was a ferro boat. The American probably was afraid that if something should happen, his boat would bear the punishment from a ferro..maybe?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 23:49   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, if somebody yells "Starboard" to me, I yell back "Ferro"!

Old 18-01-2006, 10:06   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Is concrete bullet-proof?
I'm not looking for an answer - the question was rhetorical, but I was wondering along the lines of having a decoy wallet, has anyone considered leaving the bad guys a plate full of goodies (some money, beer, cigars etc) and battening down the hatches. Of course, few boats are built like Fort Knox, so I wonder if anyone has constructed a 'panic room' in their boat? Like a cabin with a heavy door and lined with kevlar - the family hides inside and leaves a note "dear pirates, take what you want and leave us alone." It would certainly be safer than trusting a bunch of mongrel gun-toting crooks to not harm your family. Thoughts?

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 11:04   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sadly No. I am only giving you an anwser cause I have a picture here of a FC hull in Croatia that was riddled with machine gun holes. It looks like swiss cheese. But the good thing was it was repaired.

Old 18-01-2006, 13:29   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
We know which boat will come off second best in a collision.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 13:57   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I've seen several articles detailing "companionway grills", which can be locked from inside. These security bar devices seem popular on the 'net, tho' I've never seen them in actual use afloat. Sounds like a good boat improvement project for a welder. I'd suggest covering the bars /w fine nylon mesh screening, doubling their use as mosquito screens.

I was about 50 years old, when I first understood that people who lock their home doors during the daytime, meant while they were actualy at home. It had never occured to me to lock my doors (house or boat), while I was home and awake. I suppose I'm just not a "worrier".
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 16:36   #56

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Lock yourself in!

Several years ago there was a fire in a town in Massachusetts and the occupants were barricaded inside the house with bars on all the windows and doors. When a fire broke out, the family perished. Security is fine to a point.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 20:50   #57
Kai Nui

So let me get this strait. For security, you are suggesting being contained in concrete, with bars on the windows and doors? HMMM? Sounds kinda familiar? Don't most people try to avoid places like that? While steel and concrete can never contain the soul, it is fear that robs you of yourself.
Old 18-01-2006, 21:25   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well how's this for a great place to live.
(I feel very safe where I live, but alas, I can't say the same for all of New Zealand anymore. )
We will often go out for a short time with the house door unlocked. Our cars are parked outside unlocked all day and night. But the main point,... My wife and I went away for a long weekend sailing. We came home to find we had left the front door, not only unlocked, but wide open. We had both thought the other had closed it and both had gone out the back door. Ooops.

Old 18-01-2006, 21:50   #59
Kai Nui

FWIW Wheels, everytime you post, I get out the charts, and eliminate another route so we can have more time in NZ. I have always heard it is one of the most cruiser friendly places in the world, and you have painted a picture of the place that is beyond anything the tourist guides have ever presented. Off topic a bit, but had to be said.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:33   #60

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Cruising

There are many islands in the Hauraki Gulf which is the area near and around Auckland, the biggest city in NZ. Some have great bays and anchorage spots. If the wind blows you on shore, you go around the corner. Further North is the Bay of Islands with many many islands and nice anchorages.
On the left hand side of Vancouver Island BC is Barkley Sound, this area is similar to the BOI in NZ. One plus for the BOI of the North is the salmon, however the Northern snapper are not as good. The water is warmer in NZ.
There are many other fine places to cruise in NZ. You will run into some fairly large swells in some areas, while rain and wind are common in some places. The trip is worth it just for the beer.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote