Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 23:26   #316

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: I Can't Believe I'm Starting a Gun Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Since you're into rule following, then remember that most of the NWP is in Canada, and your handguns will be illegal outside Alaska.
Who said anything about Canada, or Alaska for that matter? Maybe the Russians will welcome me or the Inuits will hid me.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26   #317

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
OMG. No knowledge or humor left in this forum, just negative emotion.
Well I did drop a subtle hint by questioning if you could walk faster than a Leopard Seal and if you were going to encounter them on a NWP trip given that they live in the Antarctic I even posted a map of the Antarctic for you, guess you didn't recognise it

You then have the cheek to say the forum members have no knowledge, case of pot calling the kettle black me thinks.

Good luck with the Russians, it has been tried before and didn't end well, although he did get through once the consulate got involved. However, I don't think people from North America are very popular over there at the moment

Lets be honest, you are not going to sail though any of the Northwest Passages are you? you are just day dreaming and nothing wrong with that. Perhaps scale your ambitions back to a trip up to the PNW.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well I did drop a subtle hint by questioning if you could walk faster than a Leopard Seal and if you were going to encounter them on a NWP trip given that they live in the Antarctic I even posted a map of the Antarctic for you, guess you didn't recognise it

You then have the cheek to say the forum members have no knowledge, case of pot calling the kettle black me thinks.

Good luck with the Russians, it has been tried before and didn't end well, although he did get through once the consulate got involved. However, I don't think people from North America are very popular over there at the moment

Lets be honest, you are not going to sail though any of the Northwest Passages are you? you are just day dreaming and nothing wrong with that. Perhaps scale your ambitions back to a trip up to the PNW.

I am not day dreaming about the NW passage. It would not even be on my bucket list since I am a warm weather type. I've sailed in the PNW, and still think it would have been better at 54-40. I no longer have a boat, as my info says, I am not even allowed (physician suggested, wife enforced) to sail alone. As far as leopard seals, yes, I know their general range. As for guns, I actually know a lot, and despite the commentary I'd prefer not to be shot with anything that throws 9 mm. they have enough oomph to enough to kill me, and actually anyone. Bears, I am less sure. I'd still obey the law in Greenland if I went, but not so sure about Canada since I would not even consider a landfall there (yeah, believe it or not, I understand territorial waters). In truth, I do not have much use for bureaucrats, and those with bureaucratic mindsets in any position. Did you ever visit my pet leopard seal while while was alive? Used to take young ladies to see her in the orca fights when the submarine races were cancelled. Now you can
go back to dreaming about power.
Old 01-05-2018, 14:02   #319

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
go back to dreaming about power.
Power, power you say! I am a Civil Servant, there are rules to be obeyed

In the early 1980s the British Army bought 1 million rounds of 9mm from Pakistan, probably because it was cheap. For years afterwards you never really knew when you pulled the trigger if the gun would go bang or click, but the failure rate was dreadful. Those on butt duty (underneath the targets raising and lowering etc) were actually quite exposed. If it rained; a not unknown weather condition in England, the 9mm would bounce off the wet plywood target and go anywhere. At least when we shot 7.62 it went through the target into the bank. unless it was falling plate competitions or the little cute bunny rabbits with the big floppy ears on the range.
Old 01-05-2018, 14:16   #320

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

This has gotten ridiculous. When people have a gun they like and apply it to polar bears. eg. I have a 357 would I even consider it, no way. Maybe the 22 magnum. Just being a wise ass. Time to close it down and get back to boating.
Old 01-05-2018, 14:20   #321

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
If the 9 mm bullet is so ineffective, why are there so many laws against carrying the weapons that shoot them? Yeah, I agree in polar bear country one is better off with a larger caliber (or bigger bore if carrying a shotgun) but the 9 mm will anger government officials everywhere. BTW, the next time I try the NW Passage I will probably have a 12 gauge, a .357 magnum, and a 9 mm. No rifle included since I would not want to shoot offensively, just defensively, and only if necessary. The 9 mm is for the Leopard seals on the prowl. The others are for the polar bears, depending upon size and range. Time for the moderators to stop the nonsense and misinformation, or is it all plain, unadulterated malarkey? If I visit Greenland I will obey the local rules.
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

California is stupid! You can't even buy a semiauto handgun in CA let alone carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	169044  
Old 01-05-2018, 20:02   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

California is stupid! You can't even buy a semiauto handgun in CA let alone carry.
No. California is simply a state, not a person, but we do have an over abundance of stupid politicians and bureaucrats with the latter organized into very powerful unions. Actually, adding "stupid" to either politician or bureaucrat is an optional oxymoron, although exceptions do exist. BTW, you can buy some semi-auto handguns, but the press and bureaucrats for the most part call them automatics. So far the climate remains acceptable, perhaps even the best anywhere.
Old 01-05-2018, 20:13   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
This has gotten ridiculous. When people have a gun they like and apply it to polar bears. eg. I have a 357 would I even consider it, no way. Maybe the 22 magnum. Just being a wise ass. Time to close it down and get back to boating.
Second the motion. Mostly because it is a high caliber one, and the alternative is a big bore, and my patience and sense of humor are both shot.
Old 01-05-2018, 20:38   #324

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...my patience and sense of humor are both shot.
Well, ... bye!
Old 23-02-2022, 14:53   #325

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It’s funny. This thread hasn’t been active since 2018 but it popped up in my notices.

So I thought I’d show off my new (but old) Parabellum. It’s never been fired until I got it. The last one made was in 1979 and this one was still in the box and coated in cosmoline. It’s very accurate but the magazines are hard to deal with.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6AC48D6D-1CBF-4B88-827A-4FB2ECA6C38D.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	253451  
Old 23-02-2022, 17:32   #326

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I never in a million years expected to be starting a thread like this, but it appears that we will be OBLIGATED to carry a rifle of minimum calibre of 30.06 when we visit Greenland in the summer.

We will depart Cowes probably 1 June and visit the Orkneys, Faroes, and Iceland on the way, and will return directly to Northern Ireland, according to the present version of the plan.

So how to fulfill this requirement? I have never been near a gun in the decades I've lived in Europe and have no idea how to go about buying (or renting) one, or what rules there are in UK, Faroes, and Icelandic waters about declaring them, sealing them, or whatever. I will be very grateful for any tips, especially if there is someone who has done a cruise like this.

I'd suggest anyone wondering about this look at the Rock Island VR80 shotgun. Don't let the appearance scare you - it is just a 12 gauge on a familiar platform. Slugs can definitely kill a polar or grizzly bear, but using shot first to the snout may well be sufficient. Being semi-auto, you can load the shot first, slugs next. If the shot doesn't deter, you are six quick finger pulls away from 6 slugs, which will kill most anything that has walked on earth since the cretaceous.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/vr80-5rd-12ga
Old 23-02-2022, 17:55   #327
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Pretty sure Ive been active on this thread but I’ll have some new info as well.

First, we went ahead and actually registered (gasp) a shotgun and handgun with the US Customs and Border Protection. It’s not really registering because I have the form and they have nothing. After I filled out the form I took these guns to them and they verified brand, serial number etc.m then stamped and signed it. This paper counts as proof you are not smuggling guns and it looks pretty official to customs officers of other nations as well (stamps impress)

Second about the rifle/shotgun thing: we saw s/v Uma on Youtube having to lug a rifle around for self defense against polar bears and it was a pita. Depending on your proficiency and/or laws and regulations, you may be able to be okay with a high caliber handgun instead, which is much easier to carry around. Historically a .44 Magnum revolver is used but more and more people switch to a 10mm semi automatic with full load ammo (as opposed to the weak FBI load). Most manufacturers have come out with 10mm guns because of their recent popularity. I recommend to get a full size heavy weight model to help control recoil. We opted for a Tanfoglio Witness 3 which is a CZ clone (CZ does not have an option for 10mm). I can shoot a score as good as with my 9mm CZ Shadow 2 competition gun so it’s amazing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31F3E0B1-307F-418E-8EA5-7C2A9AE1275B.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	253479  

Old 23-02-2022, 18:06   #328

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I'd suggest anyone wondering about this look at the Rock Island VR80 shotgun. Don't let the appearance scare you - it is just a 12 gauge on a familiar platform. Slugs can definitely kill a polar or grizzly bear, but using shot first to the snout may well be sufficient. Being semi-auto, you can load the shot first, slugs next. If the shot doesn't deter, you are six quick finger pulls away from 6 slugs, which will kill most anything that has walked on earth since the cretaceous.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/vr80-5rd-12ga
When I was in Polar Bear territory (~200 miles North of my present home) back in the late 80's. 12 ga. Winchester 1200 stainless, full length tubular magazine, first two out are scare shells, next two are 3 in. Breneke slugs. After that SSG shells. Stop the bear as far away as you feasibly can. If not have at it. Then all the forms to fill out, as Polar Bears are a protected species.
Old 23-02-2022, 18:46   #329

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Pretty sure Ive been active on this thread but I’ll have some new info as well.

First, we went ahead and actually registered (gasp) a shotgun and handgun with the US Customs and Border Protection. It’s not really registering because I have the form and they have nothing. After I filled out the form I took these guns to them and they verified brand, serial number etc.m then stamped and signed it. This paper counts as proof you are not smuggling guns and it looks pretty official to customs officers of other nations as well (stamps impress)

Second about the rifle/shotgun thing: we saw s/v Uma on Youtube having to lug a rifle around for self defense against polar bears and it was a pita. Depending on your proficiency and/or laws and regulations, you may be able to be okay with a high caliber handgun instead, which is much easier to carry around. Historically a .44 Magnum revolver is used but more and more people switch to a 10mm semi automatic with full load ammo (as opposed to the weak FBI load). Most manufacturers have come out with 10mm guns because of their recent popularity. I recommend to get a full size heavy weight model to help control recoil. We opted for a Tanfoglio Witness 3 which is a CZ clone (CZ does not have an option for 10mm). I can shoot a score as good as with my 9mm CZ Shadow 2 competition gun so it’s amazing.
Love the CZ, have a SP01 myself
Old 23-02-2022, 20:26   #330
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It’s funny. This thread hasn’t been active since 2018 but it popped up in my notices.

So I thought I’d show off my new (but old) Parabellum. It’s never been fired until I got it. The last one made was in 1979 and this one was still in the box and coated in cosmoline. It’s very accurate but the magazines are hard to deal with.

Nice!!
Closed Thread