Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 08:18   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Hurricane Storage - Exit Only

When we lay up Exit Only for hurricane season, we always cover her up with custom designed covers to decrease the risk of water getting inside the yacht in the torrential rains that accompany major tropical disturbances. It helps to leave the boat in a location that minimizes the storm risks (like Trinidad), but sometimes you can't do that. When we must remain in the hurricane belt, we prepare the boat as best we can, knowing that if a category 5 storm rolls through, it's up to the insurance companies to sort things out. When lesser storms, like tropical storm Fay come through, we rely on things like tie downs and rugged boat covers to minimize the risk of water damage to Exit Only.

I used my Sailrite Sailmaker sewing machine to create covers for the salon, hatches, steering wheels, sailboard, cockpit table, and instrument cluster. I used fabric that has a five year warranty and thread with a five year warranty. The fabric is extremely tough, and some people use it in a double layer as hurricane shutters on their house. It has been tested by Sailright to survive a 100 mile/hr impact by a 2x4 in the double thickness configuation when used as storm shutters on a house. It's tough stuff.

Whenever my boat goes into storage, the covers come out, and everything gets some degree of protection. If a category 5 storms comes through, probably none of this stuff will survive. But for category 1 and 2, the protection is probably adequate to keep water out of the boat's interior if any window caulking should fail.

I've used coverings like these in Australia, New Zealand, and the USA with good results. The coverings shown in this picture took me about two weeks to construct, although I could have done the job in a week if I had done it full time in perfect weather.

The tie down straps in the boat yard are probably not that much of a help on Exit Only, but I'm glad the monohull next to Exit Only has tie downs as it may decrease the risk of the monohull falling over on Exit Only in a storm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage-One.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	4799

Name:	Storage-Two.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	4800

Name:	Storage-Three.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	4801

Name:	Storage-Five.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	4802

Name:	Storage-Six.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	4803

Name:	Storage-Seven.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	4804
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 11:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Very nice canvass work, Dave.
Even on "Exit Only", the tie-downs may help mitigate pitching, should a wind get under the bow or cockpit.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 12:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Dave,
What is the fabric? Sunbrella? What is the brand and weight of the fabric that you use?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 13:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Dave,
What is the fabric? Sunbrella? What is the brand and weight of the fabric that you use?
I used Stamoid from sailrite. It's expensive stuff but lasts forever if you use thread that resists UV. Here's the link that describes the Stamoid:

http://www.sailrite.com/Stamoid-12-7oz-Snow-White-59

The Sailrite sailmaker sewed the Stamoid without a problem. I used double sided tape to join the segments together before running them through the sewing machine. The double sided tape also made it easy to sew in the zippers where needed in steering wheel covers, sailboard covers, mast boot, and in the large section of the cover in front of the mast. I doubled the Stamoid on the edges to accept large grommets. I used several hundred grommets by the time I completed all the covers.

The covering for the salon ended up being about 19 feet from side to side. The Stamoid is also part of my security system. For anyone to get into the salon, they would have to cut through the "Stamoid Shield" which would entail some work on their part. Usually people don't bother boats that are not an easy target in boatyards.

These covers can be stored when not in use, and if the thread in the seams ever wear out, it's an easy matter to restitch with new thread as along as you have a sailrite sewing machine.
Old 23-08-2008, 14:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Very nice canvass work, Dave.
Thanks Gord.

The people at Sailrite were extremely helpful in showing me how to run the sewing machine, and they showed how to do the seams using the double sided tape. They also sold me a "Guide" attached to the sewing surface that made it easy to run the fabric through the machine and create a straight seam.
Old 04-03-2010, 19:43   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Dave, have you always hauled your cat during hurricane season when in the zone? Where did you have it hauled at?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Dave, have you always hauled your cat during hurricane season when in the zone? Where did you have it hauled at?
Most of the times that we have hauled out for storage, it was hurricane season where we were located around the world. It worked a couple of ways for us. We knew the boat would be safe from any cyclones or hurricanes, and at the same time, the boat was already in the yard where we could do maintenance on it when we came back to the boat. I sometimes used the hurricane season to fly to the Middle East and earn some Freedom Chips at the hospital where I had previously worked.

I am an advocate of the six month on and six month off circumnavigation for people who pay as they go. Work during hurricane season, and sail in the safe season.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38   #8

I'm looking at keeping my new to me boat in Oyster Pond on Sint Maarten. From all I've read, it's one of the safest hurricane holes in the belt. There is a HUGE penalty if I get wacked with a named storm but my options seem limited. I haven't found facilites in the Leewards to store Palarran on the hard and even if I could, the costs are as much as keeping her in the water. Any opinions?
Thanks, David.
Old 05-03-2010, 14:07   #9

Quote:
I'm looking at keeping my new to me boat in Oyster Pond on Sint Maarten. From all I've read, it's one of the safest hurricane holes in the belt. There is a HUGE penalty if I get wacked with a named storm but my options seem limited. I haven't found facilites in the Leewards to store Palarran on the hard and even if I could, the costs are as much as keeping her in the water. Any opinions?
Thanks, David.
If I was going to hall out for hurricane season in the northern caribbean, I would haul out at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor and Marina. They are located on the leeward side Virgin Gorda, and they are well protected from the worst storm surge that would happen on the windward side of the island. The usual hurricane paths in the area mean that this is a safe storage/haulout option year round. I lived five years in the Caribbean, and while I was in the area, I never heard of them having a serious problem with tropical storms and hurricanes at that haulout facility.

I know they can haul a Privilege 39, but I don't know how big they can go in terms of beam on a catamaran. You are much larger, and this location may not be an option.

If I couldn't do the Virgin Gorda storage, I would probably just go to Trinidad.
Old 05-03-2010, 18:41   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Where my boat is from it is illegal to tie canvas to the boat, but it is OK to tie them to the ground or objects. The idea I guess is to avoid the canvas catching the wind and topling the boat over. But then again, 99% monohulls around. With a multi it will be very difficult to topple her over.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:40   #11

I checked VG and they couldn't do the beam. 3/4 of the marina's I've e-mailed haven't bothered to respond at all. Well, I guess I'll stick to my plan.
Old 05-03-2010, 21:34   #12

Quote:
I checked VG and they couldn't do the beam. 3/4 of the marina's I've e-mailed haven't bothered to respond at all. Well, I guess I'll stick to my plan.
At least you have an option.

We had lifting chainplates installed on board Exit Only so we could be lifted out by a crane when there wasn't a big enough travel lift. I have been lifted by the chainplates at least four times. They come in handy and give another set of haulout options.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
Those covers look nice but would never stay on during a real hurricane. I have about 13,000 3 1/2" ss screws holding my roofing on and Marylin got a couple panels. Any place air can get under is outta there.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Those covers look nice but would never stay on during a real hurricane. I have about 13,000 3 1/2" ss screws holding my roofing on and Marylin got a couple panels. Any place air can get under is outta there.
I realize the covers would be history in a direct hit by a hurricane. The real reason we put them on is for sun protection of the windows while the boat is in storage. They also decrease the potential for leaks while we are away from the boat and unable to monitor for such things.

I have used covers for many years with good results because we have never been directly hit by a hurricane. I've been in blistering and tropical sun and torrential rains lots of time. That's what the covers are for.

I take my boat out of the water for hurricane storage. I cover it for sun and rain protection. So far so good. I hope my good fortune continues.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I am an advocate of the six month on and six month off circumnavigation for people who pay as they go. Work during hurricane season, and sail in the safe season.

Wow!.... now there is a "Perl of Wisdom" for me to ponder on.

Since the 6 on 6 off is our intended toe dipping into the cruising life style.

I never thought of the Hurricane season dictating my choice of working time.

For me of course that would be the Building season here in the PNW..which is June through December or us historically.

Where does that put us in regards to Hurricanes January through May?

Sorry for the thread drift...Nice work by the way.

Arrg!...So much to learn so little brain power!!!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote