We managed well at Utsch's Marina, Cape May last night. Sandy pretty well went right over us at 6pm. Looked up for the stars but saw nothing but the rain stopped for a bit. The wind
didn't. Went from north to west pretty quickly. Pressure dropped 0.28"Hg in an hour. No wind instruments but it was very strong. Three transient crews spent the critical hours before and after 6pm in the Ritz (luxurious rest room) overlooking the marina and watching our tormented sail boats behind the luxury of double glazing. Took two men
struggling to close the door.
My Sylvia G (Bristol 30) is over 40 years old and I wasn't confident of the strength of her cleats
So stern lines were taken from a rope
strop right round her counter and over the sheet winches. Used the 16mm kedge anchor warp.
Bow lines were taken from the mast
. Used the 20mm main anchor warp.
Furled genny and main+cover were left on but additional lines were wrapped round them. Outboard
and life ring on pushpit stowed below. Dodger
lowered and tied down. Flags
9.5 feet of storm surge forecast
for Monday pm, 9' am, 8' for Sunday. On Saturday I marked the pile at HW and there was 5 foot of pile left. I didn't know what the surge forecast
for Sat was but it was a starting point.
On Sunday morning HW there was about 4'-6" of pile left and HW was an hour later than tables. Sunday pm HW was about the same. Monday am HW left 3 foot of pile still showing so as I watched from the Ritz at HW Monday pm I was confident the marina would not float away.
If you are deciding to leave your boat to fend for herself then leave early. The hide tides meant that the ramps down to the floating pontoons were lifted 6 feet into the air by the pontoons rising so needed acrobatics to get ashore.
They forecast 90mph winds but I don't know what we got but Sylvia G's north/south slip did not do her any favours with strong westerly gusts on her beam heeling her 20 degrees and putting huge strains on her lines.
But she came through it. Damage? One handrail stanchion will need re-bedding as I took a spring through it's base. A mistake, as with lines on all corners a spring is not really needed.
Thought about using the forecast SW 15 to 20kn to get up Delaware Bay on Wednesday but local knowledge dissuaded me due to the amount of debris floating. Any reports on this? And could the guy in the marina on the C&D canal please tell me if it is still there or floated away?