Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 22:05   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
HRT medication whilst sailing overseas

Hi I'm new to the forum, we have bought a boat in Greece and plan on living on it and taking a few years to bring it back to Australia.
What's the best way to obtain specific prescriptions while traveling around the EU?
Spring time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: HRT medication whilst sailing overseas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Spring time.

Assuming your medications are legal to take, you should visit your doctor and, if possible, get a prescription to cover the entire time you are going to be away.

Fill the prescription before you leave – a prescription from Australia may have no validity in other countries.

If you are unable to carry enough medication for your entire trip, make sure you take a letter from your doctor detailing the medication, dosage and what it is for, especially if it is a painkiller or another drug a doctor may be wary of prescribing.

A letter from your doctor explaining that your drugs are medically prescribed and are for personal use can also ease your way through customs checkpoints.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/al...ing-drugs.aspx

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 15:57   #3

Thank you very much for this information. I will visit my Doctor and ask him for a letter and I'll also take as much of the medication as I can with me. We have the "no plan" plan, so we don't know how long we will be away. So this could be tricky. Thank you again, I really appreciate your input.
Old 08-01-2018, 17:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

HRT is hormone replacement?
Testosterone? Although not a narcotic, it’s a controlled substance as I think maybe bodybuilders abuse it. I’m carrying copies of my prescription and hoping it’s not too hard to get, but have no experience yet.
I’m not in the EU though, I’d assume it’s easier there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 18:38   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

HRT is Hormone Replacement Therapy. It is for women, and it is estrogen. In the past,it was described to ameliorate menopause symptoms, but there are some other reasons it may be used, as well. Some women have found that they have less seasickness after they've tapered off of it. It is a medicine that one shouldn't stop "cold turkey," so I learned after the fact.

Ann
Old 08-01-2018, 19:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well, I was close anyway
I am going to assume then that estrogen may not be so tightly controlled as maybe it’s not as likely to be abused?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well, I was close anyway
I am going to assume then that estrogen may not be so tightly controlled as maybe it’s not as likely to be abused?

HRT is Hormone replacement therapy for myself, 57 yr old woman, I was suffering severely with menopause symptoms and this medication has been a life saver. I can't go cold turkey, as advised by health professionals, and wish to remain on the medication (in order to save my marriage, I'm a very nice calm person with no hot flushes and awful symptoms whilst on it). Haha... I'll have a chat with my Dr and hopefully be able to sort something out whilst living onboard for an unknown amount of time.

Tags
sail, sailing