Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 15:09   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: How to avoid being killed?

Here's the big question - what is the risk really? Am I at more risk of getting killed in my car on my way to work every day or will I be at more risk sitting in an anchorage in St. Lucia when we are cruising or on a week long charter? That's really what is important to know.

While we hear about numerous crimes, it seems violent crimes are not nearly as common as theft. Obviously as suggested in a few posts above, there are a number of things you can do to remove a bullseye from yourself, but in the end, knowing what the real odds of anything happen would go a long way. I'm really not sure we're at any more risk in many places on a boat (there are always exceptions) then we'd be on land going about our normal routines.
Old 24-01-2014, 15:44   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Here's the big question - what is the risk really? While we hear about numerous crimes, it seems violent crimes are not nearly as common as theft.
The risk is extremely minimal and I'd dare to say much less than living in any large city. You're absolutely correct about petty theft being much more common than violent crime.
Old 24-01-2014, 15:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Not being a great believer in guns I do believe that many are mistakenost when stating that having a gun aboard is illegal in almost every country.

There is a legal way to have a gun in most countries and that is to hire an armed security guard to stay aboard.

My understanding is that in countries where they are most needed they are not that expensive.

Certainly if one was caught out in a dangerous area it could be an option worth exploring.
Old 24-01-2014, 15:54   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Do you really think killing or maiming someone with a knife or tomahawk won't land you in jail?
I believe a counter attack using a knife is what saved the cruising couple in the Caribbean who was attacked a couple of months back by a young thief with a machete. The thief was arrested... not the couple.
Old 24-01-2014, 16:08   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe a counter attack using a knife is what saved the cruising couple in the Caribbean who was attacked a couple of months back by a young thief with a machete. The thief was arrested... not the couple.

I have been much ridiculed in the past here in the forum for suggesting knives for self defense. But at risk if more of the same, here is some of what I carry and the thinking behind it.

I think a tomahawk is a great hand to hand weapon, but a poor choice for a boat. Strictly because it must be swung and therefore needs room. On deck there is rigging and the like in the way, and the interior will often also be too constrained for a good swing. This may work to your advantage if your assailant has a machete. You need a thrusting weapon. Spears are best, but you need to get by customs and in many countries (Mexico), even large knives are illegal. The machete isn't. So you need a large thrusting knife which can easily be confused for a machete or other tool. I like and own:

SOG Spirit Knife

SOG® Spirit Knife : Cabela's
Attached Images

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 24-01-2014, 16:09   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cold Steel Cutlass Machete.

Amazon.com: Cold Steel Cutlass Machete: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Images

Old 24-01-2014, 16:09   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Not being a great believer in guns I do believe that many are mistakenost when stating that having a gun aboard is illegal in almost every country.

There is a legal way to have a gun in most countries and that is to hire an armed security guard to stay aboard.

My understanding is that in countries where they are most needed they are not that expensive.

Certainly if one was caught out in a dangerous area it could be an option worth exploring.
Many many countries do not allow private public carrying firearms. Hence all security guards are unarmed. I've seen very few security guards that are actually armed.

Dave
Old 24-01-2014, 16:15   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This one is the go-to bush knife. Cheap, looks like a machete, incredibly lethal and intimidating. The Smatchet, by Cold Steel. This is the one I keep by the bed.

Smatchet | Machetes | Cold Steel UK

Attached Images

Old 24-01-2014, 16:18   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And lots of Inferno pepper spray. It has many features which make it ideal for use in an enclosed space like a boat. Prison guards use it in jail cells. It works a treat!

Inferno Pepper Spray

By all means, lock your boat. Get a dog and train in Schutzhunde. Install an alarm system. Do everything you can think of to increase security. This is just the final line of defense.

Old 24-01-2014, 16:42   #25

Boat: hunter 376

How come, in all the endless discussions on self defense, I never hear about tasers? I'm sure it has been discussed, but I havn't seen it. Are they legal in some areas of the world? Seems like a pretty good non-lethal weapon to take some control of a bad situation.
Old 24-01-2014, 17:34   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

go native,leave boat open..
Old 24-01-2014, 17:40   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to avoid being killed?

Own a slightly shabby 70's/80's 32 ftr and anchor amongst the richer 40+ftrs..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2014, 17:47   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Good example.

But what do you think the consequences might have been if the 16 year old boy had not injured anyone, and the boat owner had stabbed him?

[Oh, damn. I've broken my personal rule never to post in these silly threads! ]
Old 24-01-2014, 18:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Own a slightly shabby 70's/80's 32 ftr and anchor amongst the richer 40+ftrs..
I dont know,they stole an old Loran system off my boat a couple of years ago and I was docked beside two large "dinner yachts"(I had one bottle of liquor and they could see four fully stocked bars on the DYs ,they steal my liquor! After thinking about it ,I wonder if it would really make a difference,"good looking well kept boat" verses "shabby boat"..being the cynic that I am ,I think they would hit them both with indifference..
Old 24-01-2014, 18:23   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to avoid being killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I dont know,they stole an old Loran system off my boat a couple of years ago and I was docked beside two large "dinner yachts"(I had one bottle of liquor and they could see four fully stocked bars on the DYs ,they steal my liquor! After thinking about it ,I wonder if it would really make a difference,"good looking well kept boat" verses "shabby boat"..being the cynic that I am ,I think they would hit them both with indifference..
No way.. lets face it.. would you hit the guy in trousers, boots and a Crocodile Dundee hat gnawing ribs alongside you at a roadside shack.. or the dudes in white pressed shorts and Hawaiians and fancy watches wrinkling their nose's as they pass on their way to the restaurants...
The 1st is likely a fighter.. the others likely screamers..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread