Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 09:11   #1

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
How to avoid being killed ?

There are always risks when we travel especially as a cruiser traveling to foreign places. Most of the them against us is a petite crime. The perpetrators or intruders are not a hardcore criminals. I do not think they have an intention to kill anyone but it happens often.

Assuming that we have done our part to prevent or deter others to take advantage of us and knowing that we are just sitting ducks, can we avoid death by letting the intruder takes what he wants. After all, it is only money, we can make some more later.

Does this approach work? I know this works well in any big U.S. cities. Please take my money and credit cards. This is the car key, go to have fun. I am walking away now.
Old 24-01-2014, 09:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: How to avoid being killed?

No offense but that approach doesn't even work in the U.S. Saying that there is a one way approach to "not getting killed" is a very quick way for things to end badly. Violence happens all over the world. Violence and its severity is on a case by case basis. Situational awareness will help prevent being in tough situations but even that can only do so much. Unfortunately there is no answer even for in the U.S.
Old 24-01-2014, 09:21   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=rockDAWG;1449060]There are always risks when we travel especially as a cruiser traveling to foreign places. Most of the them against us is a petite crime. The perpetrators or intruders are not a hardcore criminals. I do not think they have an intention to kill anyone but it happens often.

what in the world are you talking about? happens often?? i think not - we have been to almost all the carib island ex venz and cuba and abc - and not an issue or to anyone we knew - there are occassion but most cruisers are safer in an anchorage than in a lot of place in the usa -

and yes compliant may work or it may not - you are not dealing with folks who have a lot to lose - ask the folks off irene - we had a long talk with the capt and got the real story and theywere being nice until the gunfire started
Old 24-01-2014, 13:42   #4

Boat: Various

We can avoid being killed by killing our own spirits in advance through fear. Yes, we can obsess over it, live in fear, stay home and in where we think we're protected, but we really aren't. Doing that we won't be living, so in effect have killed ourselves or at least our spirit.

We just have to make good choices where we go. Set up reasonable security. And then once we've taken every precaution be prepared to live with the remaining risk. You do this every day you get in your car and drive. Far more people killed on the highways than in their boats. No house is immune to burglary. Now, the traditional burglar you could appease by just giving them all they wanted and remaining calm. They were only interested in what they could pillage. Unfortunately, there are some thieves though who just see murder as an added pleasure. That's a risk. You do what you can to protect yourself but there will always remain some risk.
Old 24-01-2014, 13:46   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

do not be a victim.
do not flaunt wealth.
avoid areas that are known for trouble.
Old 24-01-2014, 13:47   #6

"a petite crime" - is that when a Frenchman steals something?
Old 24-01-2014, 13:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to avoid being killed?

Learn to run/swim really fast..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2014, 14:00   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

stop reading internet forums
Old 24-01-2014, 14:09   #9
cruiser

Our first lines of defense are always:
1. Be aware of our surroundings
2. Avoid places of high risk
3. Travel in a group
4. Lock the companionway at night
5. Lock the overhead hatch at night.
6. If boarded, turn on the deck floods and hailer siren via remote switch from the stern master cabin.

When all else fails, and the intruder is persistant... They will need to deal with tomahawks and knives in order to enter the stern cabin via a narrow galley and doorway. Become a badger or wolverine... animals that can discourage even a top predator like a grizzly bear when threatened. Make the thief leave and find an easier target.

Have a plan.

Most of these threads eventually digress to a guns vs no guns debate, and we would choose to be armed with a gun if it was legal to do so. But in the absence of a gun there's much you can do still do.

There're several ways to effectively defend yourself and turn the tables on an attacker. We always keep several Ka Bar military knives on board along with several tactical tomahawks, these can be very effective weapons even in the hands of a 120 pound 55yr old woman if used properly in close quarters where the cruising couple has the advantage. I disagree that one's only option is to submit to the attack and get beat up or killed while the robber looks for the boat safe. In most cases, the attacker is a coward who will run if met with resistance. Come at someone with a knife or tomahawk in each hand.... it's very hard, if not impossible to defend against this sort of attack... big, sharp knives are scary and effective, and surprisingly easy to conceal.
Old 24-01-2014, 14:36   #10

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Sounds like you’re bringing a knife to a gun fight.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
Old 24-01-2014, 14:37   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
stop reading internet forums
Sailorboy,

Why such a rude response? I believe it was only a month ago you started your own thread on a similar subject regarding personal defense techniques.

Even though the subject has been covered quite extensively on this forum, some members still seem concerned in light of recent events in the Caribbean; although, I disagree with his/her feelings that attacks are a common occurance.

Ken
Old 24-01-2014, 14:40   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Sounds like you’re bringing a knife to a gun fight.
No.... I'd prefer to bring a gun to a knife fight if legal to do so. But, in a foreign country where guns are illegal, and having one could land us in prison, a knife or tomahawk along with a plan... will have to do.
Old 24-01-2014, 14:43   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Do you really think killing or maiming someone with a knife or tomahawk won't land you in jail?
Old 24-01-2014, 14:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to avoid being killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No.... I'd prefer to bring a gun to a knife fight if legal to do so. But, in a foreign country where guns are illegal, and having one could land us in prison, a knife or tomahawk along with a plan... will have to do.
Should warn you... do not take one of those K-bars ashore in the Med....
Funny thing is.. so many everyday things can be turned into a weapon.. ballpoint pens kill.. but nope.. have to have big knives and tomahawks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-01-2014, 14:52   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sailorboy,

Why such a rude response? I believe it was only a month ago you started your own thread on a similar subject regarding personal defense techniques.
You thought I was rude, be real. My point is that reading about the never ending "discussion" on very rare violence involving cruisers is the main thing that keeps people in a state of fear. The same people that are so worried about being attacked on their boat think nothing of doing everyday things that are so much more dangerous and likely to result in harm. Yet once they decide to go cruising they suddenly think they need to be Rambo because everyone is going to come after them.

And the thread you refer wasn't proposing anything other than asking whether people had any training. It pales as a comeback in light of someone promoting knifes and tomahawks as a secondly measure in case you aren't able to shot them. People who repeatably have to talk about knifes and tomahawks are the ones that scare me a lot more than the "bad guy boogeyman"

In the end you do the same things on a boat no matter wherever you are going that you do on land for safety.