Old 05-02-2014, 07:04   #106

Re: How to avoid being killed ?

The Vikings are back again!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:22   #107

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I got distracted by someone holding some Kind of metal.........
Oh yea. I heard wasp spray has good range and is very irritating . I took out a wasp nest and with very little practice 20 feet seems like a reasonable range. Few governments will complain about bug spray.
And for you, Silverbullet:

Wasp spray is NOT a solution to your personal defense issues. Do some research. This subject is pretty important, yet I am willing to bet you would put way more research into your choice of anchor or barbecue, than just going off some anecdotal 'it killed some bugs good!' information.

Again, research wasp spray. It is illegal to use it in such a manner - you could be charged for that. Not stating as a fact, but it could happen. Second, there is no research showing its effectiveness on humans. Some who have had incidental contact with their eyes have remarked on how surprised they were on how little effect it had on them.

A set of stainless bars that can be locked over the companionway, spreader floodlights and a siren, along with locking your dinghy properly, are probably going to solve most of your issues. A heavy-duty, police-sized pepper spray (possibly repainted to look like a fire extinguisher and mounted on a bulkhead just like one...) and possibly a long, sharp object, as previously mentioned, should really work adequately for most people, and will get you through most anything you would realistically expect to see.

I will start a 2-year cruise in 3 years, with my wife and 2 pre-teen daughters. This is something I give some significant thought to. Is a firearm worth it? Not sure it is, even though I am well-trained in their use and have the proper mindset to use them.

Using wasp spray is like the idea of just racking a shotgun to scare off an intruder. It sounds like a good idea, until you actually analyze the effectiveness. First, you are already using a less-than-optimal weapon. Second, you let him know where you were. And third, you told him that you have one less round than you could carry. If he doesn't run screaming from your residence like a little girl in a horror house, as many imagine, you still have a real problem to deal with.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
The world is full of pacifist liberals who expect others to take care of them. I dont know if it is the mind numbing fluoride in the water or just a lack of understanding the problem. Just some food for thought; If it were not for 50 million armed American Patriots nothing else would stand between world slavery and liberty. Is it that difficult then for you to understand why they desperately and unendingly want the Americans disarmed? "They" are the NWO beneficiaries who wish to (1) Enslave the entire world population, and, (2) Reduce the world population from 7.3 billion to 400 million (3) Control the world food supply which is already happening with Monsanto's 'terminator seed' which will not allow you to save heirloom seed from year to year and Monsanto's toxins which have purposefully killed most of the bees on the planet while developing their own 'super bees' which are immune to the toxins (4) Control the currency. The subject of how to protect yourself while cruising is a microcosm of what else is going on in the world mates.
Fascinating. I thought the Super Bee was a Dodge.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:51   #109
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i been out here in rough and rowdy mexico sola, without any gun or anything weaponlike.
wtf are you clowns trying to do... get us all killed???
puleeeze.
some of us are not gun nuts or pro-violence to stop violence..
some of us are non violent and survive in bad places quite nicely...many of you could well learn from us.
many places we cruise remove the weaponry from your possession, or your boat from your possession ... is not legal?? dont do it. havent ye learned yet from being semi legal in mexico???
geeeez...
travelling is being a guest in someone else´s home. their nation is their home. we as guests need to remember this.
attitude will kill you as quickly as will flaunting wealth in an impoverished place.
respect of and for the countries (and the people thereof) you plan to visit and actually visit is foremost important for comfortable cruising
Old 05-02-2014, 07:53   #110
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's that time again!
You must not have heard that the government in secret has a new microwave that can penetrate standard aluminum foil and they can then reprogram your thoughts to wild spending on useless consumer goods. I understand the program has a wipe built in which explains why no one seems to remember anything.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:55   #111

Interesting Bra
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49   #112

Somebody work anchors into the thread, and I can call CF Bingo!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27   #113

My two cents:

1. Ability to turn on deck lights and siren from bed.
2. Wasp killer in a spray can that can shoot up to 22 feet.
3. Spear made with a knife taped to the end of a boat pole.
4. Baseball bat.

If the lights and siren do not scare them off then you have real bad guys on your hands. Proceed to steps 2-4 and stay below. They are at a disadvantage coming through the companionway as it is narrow and there are stairs to deal with.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33   #114
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to avoid being killed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway3662 View Post
My two cents:

1. Ability to turn on deck lights and siren from bed.
2. Wasp killer in a spray can that can shoot up to 22 feet.
3. Spear made with a knife taped to the end of a boat pole.
4. Baseball bat.

If the lights and siren do not scare them off then you have real bad guys on your hands. Proceed to steps 2-4 and stay below. They are at a disadvantage coming through the companionway as it is narrow and there are stairs to deal with.
Only now they know to bring Bear Spray and blast a liberal amount down the hatchway before heading down..
If they're really smart they'll have face filters and work goggles so they can see to swing their K-Bars and spears..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:04   #115

Tanker Steve; All you have to do pal is to read the results of Wasp and Hornet spray stories from people who were sprayed accidentally. I AM a research fanatic and although I read 7000 WPM and have a photographic memory I do admit to getting some things wrong. The reason this product is labeled in such a way is because it CAN KILL YOU! The lobby for not using this type of spray for self defense is proffered by those people who make their living from manufacturing and selling pepper spray. There are numerous examples of people who have been accidentally sprayed, mostly in very small amounts, to be found. You have to understand tests for those sprays have not been 'explored' is, unlike pepper sprays which are non lethal, is because they WILL kill you. Now, you with your learned expertise in the lack of stopping power of those sprays may wish to volunteer to be sprayed in order to prove your point. Here is one example:
"This was from a very short burst of spray. I imagine if you were to empty an entire can into someone's face, you could possibly kill them.
Basically, my eyes swelled shut and burned like mad - like someone was sticking needles through them. Eyes were also watering considerably. My nose was running like crazy. My esophagus became partially swollen so breathing became labored. That all happened within about 1 minute.
After all that, terrible nausea set in, and I ended up throwing up until I dry-heaved. Aside from some minor swelling in my eyes, everything was back to normal within about 15 minutes.
I know I definitely inhaled some of the spray, but I don't know if I swallowed any or not. I know I got some in my mouth, which caused me start producing massive amounts of saliva - so I kept spitting which I think kept me from swallowing any.
It reminded me a lot of what tear gas feels like; with the addition of the nausea and eye swelling that I didn't experience with tear gas."
Not wanting to bring this up, in writing here or anywhere, the best solution when at sea is the ubiquitous and commonly found on board is the spear gun. I believe it is interesting that a spear gun on board would not be considered 'a lethal weapon' when Wasp and Hornet Spray is considered lethal. The law is simply someone's opinion. Could be yours or could be mine. It is a very subjective realm. Go figure.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:13   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hell, just take a can of hair spray and a lighter, or a can of ether, maybe a cup full of ammonia. I bet the ammonia would put a hurt on someone if they got it in the face, and ammonia is cheap and has other uses on a boat too.
Biggest thing is decide if your plan is to roll over and let them do as they please and hope they won't hurt you, or do you plan on defending yourself?
Just stick with your plan, whichever it is.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:06   #117

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hell, just take a can of hair spray and a lighter, or a can of ether, maybe a cup full of ammonia. I bet the ammonia would put a hurt on someone if they got it in the face, and ammonia is cheap and has other uses on a boat too.
Biggest thing is decide if your plan is to roll over and let them do as they please and hope they won't hurt you, or do you plan on defending yourself?
Just stick with your plan, whichever it is.
You mean stick with your plan AFTER you've assessed the threat and the overall situation, right?

Also, I can see where some of the roll over types might want to change their plan, given the opportunity, if the bad guys turned out to be even badder than previously suspected. Of course by then you've put yourself into an even worse situation by rolling over, but if it becomes apparent they're going to kill you anyway....you don't have anything to lose by changing your "plan."
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15   #118
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It's the sheep again, not liking the sheepdogs Only when the wolves show up they suddenly call for sheepdogs to come and help, same old story

Yes, same old story . Pat the Sheepdog on the head and tickle his tummy now and again and he won't work out that he is not there to defend the sheep - he is just an early warning system for the Shepherd. A cheap and expendable one.

Of course in the modern era only an idiot Shepherd keeps sheep in wolf country - a smart Shepherd has long since killed them all, a really smart one tells neither the sheep or the sheepdog that their are no wolves........otherwise their would be no lamb chops $$$.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18   #119
cruiser

When TSHF happens... it happens at warp speed. There's no time to assess, plan or change plans. Most likely, the bad guys will always have the advantage of surprise, at least 5-10 seconds while you figure out what's going really going on. Best to answer the bump in the night prepared with something sharp or lethal in your hand.... and be ready to act from behind a locked door.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26   #120
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

Also, I can see where some of the roll over types might want to change their plan, given the opportunity, if the bad guys turned out to be even badder than previously suspected.
Just spray them with your wasp spray, that always works out.