Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 13:16   #1

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
How Safe Is Mexico?

The current Latitude 38 lectronic latitude has a link to a very informative website detailing the murders in Mexico.
Click on the verious spots on the map for local details.

Mexico drugs war murders data mapped | News | guardian.co.uk
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:32   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How Safe Is Mexico?

as long as you do not sail tijuana river, juarez, and the other BORDER towns involved, is fine. dont mule drugs nor taske them, and donot deal with the involved cartels and mexican organized crime, you will be just fine. donot put your hand into the spiders web and the spider willnot bite you.
yeah, there are neighborhoods not able to be traversed in darkness--- same in usa.
i have found ZERO problem here, same with other gringas and non mexicans i have met outside usa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:40   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Zee, that was my experience when I sailed down the western coast of Mexico. The locals were great - kind and helpful with a keen sense of humor.
I think that the article proves that the sailing areas are fostly crime free.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:45   #4

journalists are in love with sensationalizing stuff so they can sell their wares. the violence in mexico is just that-- mexican, and with only the offensive criminals etc--we are fed sensationalist soup as an apertif and those who NEED to feel fear of somewhere swallow that hook line and sinker.
what happens is the economies of the places written about is befouled and no one makes any income, and the prices of everything are raised to make the difference.
is a vicious circle.
i read the article in lat 38 and do not disagree with their message. i add the spider web addendum myself as it makes sense.
Old 30-09-2011, 13:51   #5

A part of me is tempted to spread the lies that Mexico is unsafe for cruisers.
this will insure that I (and others in the know) will not be subjected to gaggles of cruisers in Mexico.

But that would be a tremendous disservice to the Mexicans, and would not be fair.

And, in spite of the reality: that as long as cruisers are not into drugs mexico is safe, the perception is that every day there is another gruesome murder south of the US border.... and any boater is next.

Latitude 38 has been a good force in getting the truth out, and I honestly believe that cruisers have no problem in Mexico (as long as they respect the locals, do not drink to excess, do not flash $ around, and STAY AWAY from DRUGS).

Come on Down and Enjoy!
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:58   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Now how cool is that? A map of drug-related homocides. Wish we could get one for the US.
It does show that border cities are the worst, with some other hot conflict points where turf wars rage. Some data is misplaced - I clicked on Santa Ana, Sonora and got Quintara Roo...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 14:05   #7

i just read my lectronic latitude for today. the problem is that what was published is not what we are seeing here....JUAREZ is having zeta problems. is that spiders web thing again. dont put your hand into the web if you dont want it bit-- dont mess in cartel or mexican mafia business and you are fine.
50 restaurants have closed in mazatlan this year due to sensationalist journalism keeping folks out of mexico, and other businesses have raised prices "until the gringos return"

"As for those of you who are going to cruise the Pacific coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez, and who want to be super cautious, there are two places you might want to skip. The first is Mazatlan, where the Zetas cartel is trying to horn in on the Sinaloa cartel. As one long-time resident told us, "You have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to be a victim of narco violence." Nonetheless, the violence is trending the wrong way. On the positive side for Mazatlan is the fact that the two big marinas, Marina Mazatlan and Marina El Cid, are relatively isolated at the far north end of town. The second place you may want to avoid is Acapulco, one of the most naturally beautiful places on the west coast of the Americas. Again, there is a turf war underway, which breeds violence. But it's such a huge city that your chances of being collateral damage are astronomically slim. Particularly if you pursue a normal cruiser lifestyle"

the anchorage in old harbor is ok also--isnt in the middle of anything, however, there is a neighborhood near that one does\not walk thru at night. you will find that kind of neighbor hood in most cities in usa as well. people here survive on tourist dollars. no tourists, no dollars, no income. i would not remain away from a place just because of criminal activity of an organized sort--just remain away from it. you wont get bit by the spider if you leave it alone.
Old 06-10-2011, 16:27   #8

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

I agree with Zee and the other posts that point out all the organized crime is associated with the Cartels and their turf wars. However there is an element of small time petty crime that affects most people, Mexicans and foreigners alike. These are small gangs that have turned to robbery as a means of living and these are the ones that everyone has to be aware of. They are the ones interested in your gold Rolex and Nikon camera and the "hundreds of dollars" in your pocket. So just don't flash anything that screams money, dress down don't carry your camera outside you back pack and don't let anyone hear you say you live on a boat. To a Mexican who would be of a mind to rob you a boat means a lot of money, so you have to be rich. Unfortunately these small time gangsters can be found anywhere not just in the don't go places. Always be aware of who and what is around you. I have lived in Mexico for 22 years and have lived and worked in most coastal towns and there is a small risk in all of them especially during high vacation periods.....June July (Mexican)....October thru April (Gringo season), when these small gangs migrate from the major cities to the resort areas.

Having said that there is no reason not to come to Mexico and enjoy what is perhaps the best climate in the world.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:48   #9

Mazatlan 2011 A Week in Mexico - YouTube

http://youtu.be/dQ4YDGRcLDY

http://youtu.be/_HCiYQixIgQ
this one shows old harbor nicely...
http://youtu.be/HnKIyqCjyyM
Old 06-10-2011, 16:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having spent lots of time in african and arab countries would say exactly the same thing about arabs,africans and somalies...
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:52   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Santana 22

a lot safer than Oakland...
SailBerkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:12   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My impression is that in Mexico, you will be defenseless if you obey its law. In California, you are able to defend your life with deadly force. Which is rather surprising.
Old 06-10-2011, 17:12   #13

How safe is Mexico? Well, safer than Venice, CA and less safe than Belair, CA. Or safer than South Chicago and less safe than Evanston, IL.
In other words, the question is not well defined.

Will you be safe in Mexico? Depends on where and what are you doing. Same as anywhere else. Will you be safe in a Cancun marina? I'm fairly confident you would. But I don't control Fate.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:18   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Oakland is no different than Mexico in that respect. You just don't go into the high risk areas. Oakland has some low risk beautiful areas.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:20   #15

oops--too late to include this one....is beautiful here.

MI MAZATLAN - YouTube

Tags
Mexico