Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 22:37   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: How many flares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
"Just in their direction" won't work very well with a laser pointer. You have to shine it directly at them before they can see it. And then you may force an aircraft to return to base because of potential crew eye damage.

Laser pointers are remarkably tightly focused. I've tested their visibility at a few miles and I had to aim mine *very* carefully before it could be seen at all -- I can't imagine aiming that precisely from a boat. I do have the older red "laser flares" that emit a broad fan pattern, which is more easily aimed. These also have the aircraft crew safety regulation issues.
Sort of. The greatland laser is a fan that is oriented so it fans out vertically. You use it by sweeping the fan across a distant potential rescuer using a sighting mechanism on the laser (a boat, plane, etc.). At 8 miles distant the fan is about 3000 feet wide.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/4924-1.html

"We also recently tested a prototype green laser device. While the output from this laser is also limited to 5 mW (with a wider 5-degree angle), our 4 mW prototype was still showing strong to the naked eye at 30 miles, which is the greatest distance at which we had time and resources to test. In fact, it was so extraordinarily easy to see that we used the green laser to identify the location of the testers on the ground at the more extreme distances when we lost the location after a course reversal. It was instantly noticeable when slowly scanned in our direction. Aiming wasn't even necessary."
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:20   #32

Boat: Nauticat 40 (1985)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I would like to see test of the Portland Pudgy as a life boat. I am skeptical.

In 2012 I tried to use an SSB without success. Since then:

I have used a VHF 200 miles offshore to issue a Pan Pan when I was taking on water. While we were off the Washington Coast, we were picked up by Prince Rupert (BC) radio.
Portland Pudgy Reviews in the Press - Portland Pudgy

Here's a few reviews. Unfortunately the link to the Dutch sailing magazine, who tested it as a lifeboat 20 miles offshore is broken. That was a favorable review.

I have personally spoken with Zack Smith from Fiorentino Sea Anchors about his experience testing the pudgy in a gale, west of the Golden Gate bridge, when they were developing the sea anchor for the Pudgy. He raved about how safe and comfortable he felt ane notes that it was actually the 30-something foot Tollycraft support boat that was getting beaten up so badly that they terminated the test.
Korvessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 15:44   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Sort of. The greatland laser is a fan that is oriented so it fans out vertically. You use it by sweeping the fan across a distant potential rescuer using a sighting mechanism on the laser (a boat, plane, etc.). At 8 miles distant the fan is about 3000 feet wide.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/4924-1.html

"We also recently tested a prototype green laser device. While the output from this laser is also limited to 5 mW (with a wider 5-degree angle), our 4 mW prototype was still showing strong to the naked eye at 30 miles, which is the greatest distance at which we had time and resources to test. In fact, it was so extraordinarily easy to see that we used the green laser to identify the location of the testers on the ground at the more extreme distances when we lost the location after a course reversal. It was instantly noticeable when slowly scanned in our direction. Aiming wasn't even necessary."
Good article. Thanks for sharing.

But...the article is somewhat old (2004), and they were testing a prototype of the Green Flare.

I also noted some inconsistency or errors in the specs or the smallest model Red Flare.

http://www.greatlandlaser.com/rescue-laser-light/

Notably, in the PS article the smallest red Flare is said to have burn time of just 5 hours.

According to the Greatland website, the burn time for their smallest model is 40 hours. That significant difference may be due to writing error or changes in the light or battery used. Verify with the manufacturer.

Quote from Greatland site:
"can operate continuously for 40 hours on a single, long-life, replaceable CR123 lithium battery (available at most department stores and wherever camera batteries are sold)."

I copied this from their website:
Product Specifications:
Visibility: 20 miles (32 km) nighttime, optimum conditions
1-3 miles (1.6-4.8 km) daytime
Waterproof: to 80 feet (24 m)
Laser Diode: Red - 10,000 hours meantime life
Laser Class: 3R < 5mW cw max
Beam Divergence: ≤ 5 degrees
Operational Life: 40 hours continuous use before changing battery
Battery: CR123 lithium battery

Current price of smallest is $109.95

Also, as of today, the flares have integral sighting holes, and the price of the GREEN model has decreased from $295 (in article) to $224 today.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 16:57   #34
RPZ

Overthrehorizon,

I don't see a link for the 1,000mw lasers
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 17:22   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
"Just in their direction" won't work very well with a laser pointer.
There are a lot of different hand held lasers
Yes, to be sure. I have the original red fan-pattern laser flares and they do work as advertised. My comment was about the generic laser pointer that you seemed to be mentioning. Those require unobtainably precise aiming to be seen.

And doesn't the ability of a green narrow-spot laser to be seen off-angle depend a lot on the amount of water vapor in the air? I've only seen these being used as star-pointers, and don't know how well they can be seen at a significant distance (unless aimed directly at the viewer).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 17:37   #36

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

Talking about purchasing out of date flares, I got some from West marine that were about a year into their lifespan add when I stopped at the local West marine store they exchanged them no questions asked for more current ones with an apology and a $10 coupon.
Old 09-04-2018, 21:09   #37

Boat: Nauticat 40 (1985)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Good article. Thanks for sharing.

But...the article is somewhat old (2004), and they were testing a prototype of the Green Flare.
Here is another article to look at. Equipped.com does very good, rigorous, testing of their gear. The author of the site has lobbied congress regarding some EPIRB, SAR and life raft issues.
Korvessa is offline   Reply With Quote