Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 15:38   #376

Boat: deboated
Re: How Many EPIRBS and Liferafts Ever Save Lives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes and you didnt even suggest one, other then cost and a McMurdo Fastfind PLB with GPS, is now selling for $249.00. Thats not expensive.

Dave
1$ would be for some and would be used as an excuse not to carry on board. This freedom thing is funny, any safety device is for the user not someone else trying to control you.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 15:47   #377
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
1$ would be for some and would be used as an excuse not to carry on board. This freedom thing is funny, any safety device is for the user not someone else trying to control you.
that message unfortunately seems not to have gotton through to the many law makers around teh globe.
Old 29-05-2011, 15:54   #378

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I wrote:

Very unlikely. It was around midnight and I saw no strobe or other light in the area, there was no alarm signal to be heard when I monitored the frequency, and we were about 700 miles from land with no other vessels in the vicinity.

Although one time a crewmember told us a story about a Transpac he did with his father many years ago (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth): They were still a couple days from reaching Honolulu when they spotted something floating ahead of them. As they approached it began to look like a body. Fearing the worst, they slowed, circled -- it was a body! They grabbed the victim, who then smiled and said "thank you!" The guy had fallen off one of the raceboats ahead just beyond the horizon. As they learned when reaching land, when the other boat noticed their guy was missing they stopped and searched, but never found him.

The moral of this story? Keep a lookout, don't fall off the boat, sail where the water's warm, and be lucky.
Heh.

And sail only in daylight.

Lucky is right!
Old 29-05-2011, 16:42   #379

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I look at it this way,

The one's that are used save lives,
The ones sitting in/on the boat, are hoping they won't have to get wet..
But always ready to go to work if needed.

Ever watch Deadliest Catch??
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 18:26   #380
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Yes and you didnt even suggest one, other then cost "
I did, Dave. Cost. One buck at a time, $300 dollars ballpark, forget that the cheapest one may cost $25 less inclduing shipping and handling and taxes or not.

Baby has a fever, $100 to the pediatrician. Mothers Day needs flowers, $75 more. Gas hits $4 and each tank costs $10 more to fill. Supermarket brand soda went up about 12% in price recently.

One buck at a time, $300 is 300 reasons not to buy one. Some folks just don't have $249 in discretionary income, they're trying to just keep the boat.

And unless you sail solo, you're a miserable wretch if you own the boat and you buy a PLB for yourself and don't buy at least one more for the one (2? 3?) crew who sail with you. Ooops, $$600 ? $1200 ?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:20   #381

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I did, Dave. Cost. One buck at a time, $300 dollars ballpark, forget that the cheapest one may cost $25 less inclduing shipping and handling and taxes or not.

Baby has a fever, $100 to the pediatrician. Mothers Day needs flowers, $75 more. Gas hits $4 and each tank costs $10 more to fill. Supermarket brand soda went up about 12% in price recently.

One buck at a time, $300 is 300 reasons not to buy one. Some folks just don't have $249 in discretionary income, they're trying to just keep the boat.

And unless you sail solo, you're a miserable wretch if you own the boat and you buy a PLB for yourself and don't buy at least one more for the one (2? 3?) crew who sail with you. Ooops, $$600 ? $1200 ?
$75 flowers, supermarket soda...dying at sea because those are more important???

Plus one PLB is enough...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:32   #382
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

p-
Did you ever see a Star Trek movie? There's a line from Kirk to Spock, while on earht, that goes something like "Mister Spock, if you wanted logic you've got the wrong planet."

MOST people do not spend money on safety. When dual rearview mirrors were optional, they didn't buy them. When seat belts were optional, they didn't buy them. When airbags were optional, they didn't buy them.

Heck, they wouldn't buy windshield wipers or defrosters either, now those are mandatory equipment. and they still like to run their tires bald until they blow out, which is why many states have mandatory annual inspections.

Got a fire extinguisher in your kitchen? Taken a CPR/defrib device course?

Got real $OLA$ pyros on your boat? Or those worthless Olin jobbies?

And you think these same people are going to say "Gee, I'm mortal, I'd better buy some life assurance." ??

Ain't gonna happen, people on this planet don't work that way. By and large they are either scared (so they stay safely on land) or they think they're invulnerable, so why waste money on safety gear? 25 years ago if you put on a PFD in open water, much less admitted that you owned one, you got called a wuss and worse and everyone else in the fleet would ask if you wanted ballet lessons to go with it.

Safety doesn't sell. Not to the overwhleming majority of people, including sailors. And $300 is not a light purchase for MOST sailors. Remember, something like 80% of recreational sailboats are under 28' OAL, with budgets to match. Even if theyappreciate a PLB, that $300 may just be needed to pay the mooring fees first.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 20:27   #383

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yep have that extinguisher in the kitchen. In fact it was used last week. The dishwaher was dripping water past a seal
Corroded the connections think and then went poof . Misses instead of throwing water on it grabs the extinguisher and yep saves the house. the circuit didn't trip. Looked like the ground was corroded so maybe that's why. It wavthougj my choice to buy the thing . Misses chose to use it.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 04:33   #384

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
p-
Did you ever see a Star Trek movie? There's a line from Kirk to Spock, while on earht, that goes something like "Mister Spock, if you wanted logic you've got the wrong planet."

Nope...why watch drama when we have enough comedy right here...

You're right...seems like some sailors here would make me declare if Iwas bringing one along and sieze it, lock it below or destroy it so I didn't become complacent or too reckless for our sail.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:22   #385
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

One buck at a time, $300 is 300 reasons not to buy one. Some folks just don't have $249 in discretionary income, they're trying to just keep the boat

I can accept that in the few cases where its that bad, but that doesnt apply to the majority of sailers, many upgrade electronic, buy new sails etc, yet skimp on basic safety equipment.

Dave
Old 30-05-2011, 05:57   #386
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Many EPIRBS and Liferafts Ever Save Lives ?

Quote:
[/I]

I can accept that in the few cases where its that bad, but that doesnt apply to the majority of sailers, many upgrade electronic, buy new sails etc, yet skimp on basic safety equipment.

Dave
Thats coz we're real good and don't need the stuff made for other people....
Lets face it... like a car... once behind the wheel most folks are the greatest and everyone else an incompetent moron...
I don't have em... but if someone wanted to carry one... they're very welcome to... the same with PFD's.......
Unlike non smokers etc I don't believe in forcing my views/beliefs on other folk.. or refer to them as morons for not stepping out of their 'personal zones'...
Unless they really are morons....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 14:54   #387

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Nope...why watch drama when we have enough comedy right here...

You're right...seems like some sailors here would make me declare if Iwas bringing one along and sieze it, lock it below or destroy it so I didn't become complacent or too reckless for our sail.
Your a bit slow mate some of us realised they were just trying to save us money pages ago. GPS next so we pay more attention to our navigation
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 14:59   #388
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Thats coz we're real good and don't need the stuff made for other people....
Lets face it... like a car... once behind the wheel most folks are the greatest and everyone else an incompetent moron...
I don't have em... but if someone wanted to carry one... they're very welcome to... the same with PFD's.......
Unlike non smokers etc I don't believe in forcing my views/beliefs on other folk.. or refer to them as morons for not stepping out of their 'personal zones'...
Unless they really are morons....
When " personal freedom" nonsense starts entering a debate on the merits of PLBs.EPIRBS etc you know the debate has been won and the gun thread rubbish is about to begin.

Dave
Old 30-05-2011, 15:36   #389

Quote:
[/I]

Dave
Mmmmm, you don't consider new sails, rigging and nav euipment, ie a well equiped, seaworthy vessel to be "basic safety equipment"? So in your oppinion, is something one can scream for help with" basic safety equipment"?
Just asking.
Old 30-05-2011, 15:39   #390

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Are you saying that disucussing EPIRBS is like discussing guns to some?

Hopefully a continued discussion will be allowed without closing down. I don't see a lot of relationship to guns.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote