Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 13:08   #16

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: How many EPIRBS and liferafts are ever used to save lives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminijimini View Post
I would rather have a EPIRBS and not use it than to wished I wasn't so cheap not to buy it at a time of need.
I think you missed the earlier post about how it may encourage a feeling of safety that not only risks yours but also the safety of those who end up responding to the trouble you get yourself into because you had the EPIRB.

-Sven
Old 22-03-2011, 13:08   #17

Location: On the Gorge waterway in the heart of Victoria, British Columbia.
Boat: Explorer 44 by Stan Huntingford. Building in progress.

SvenG has a good point. I have thought for a long time now why a liferaft. With the development of the RIB, that is touted to be unsinkable, why would you need a liferaft? Boating is all about having things on board that will do more than one job. So why hasn't the RIB been adapted for liferaft duties? The EPIRB, however, would be the insurance I would still want.

BB
Bruce Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Sven, I don't think that having an EPIRB aboard will entice a good Captain to venture anywhere he/she wouldn't go without one. Marginal to bad captains will display stupidity regardless of the equipment aboard...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:21   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Helicopter pilot here with SAR training. I cannot emphasis enough that life rafts and EPIRB are essential for water survival and quick rescue. I am not currently a SAR pilot but I have conducted SAR and heard and participated in many instances in which life rafts and EPIRB saved people from their sinking or sunk vessel or aircraft. I carry both aboard my boat and I also carry exposure suits and a ditch bag with signaling devices, water, first aid kit and I will be adding an emergency water maker once I start blue water cruising in a few years.
To not carry these types of safety devices when off shore cruising is asking for death. I love life and that is why I sail so I choose to carry them.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
I have conducted SAR and heard and participated in many instances in which life rafts and EPIRB saved people from their sinking or sunk vessel
That's great concrete information. Are there stats kept somewhere regarding the utility, lives saved etc. ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 22-03-2011, 19:26   #21

Boat: Fantasia 35

Sven,

Many years ago when I started flying the FAA rules allowed me to do acrobatics in my plane without a parachute as long as I was alone. However, when someone was with me the rules required that both of us had to have parachutes.

Although I intend to mostly sail single-handed, I carry an EPIRB and life raft on board. It is my believe that should something bad happen, the crew deserves the best possible means of survival that I can provide.

Paul

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:43   #22

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

A RIB for a liferaft? Have you ever been out in heavy weather with an inflatable, getting lots of water onboard, bouncing around and acting like it is going to capsize in the waves and wind? Pretty scary and can go on for hours. I have a Winslow Canopied Coastal Plus (~50lbs), and agree that with modern search and rescue the fully provisioned heavy liferaft of the past (the one the USCG regs still cling to) is not appropriate for most-I don't expect to be at sea for several days. But an EPIRB with GPS provides almost instant SAR alert, and even has a 121.5 homing beacon so they can find you at the end. I have seen/heard a couple of rescues that were close to me, but don't really know how the USCG was alerted and got there. Just saw the helicopter and cutter do the rescue from the main boat. And have heard rescues going on in Mexico. I am currently having my liferaft repacked, get my EPIRB battery replaced on time, and consider it a good investment.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 21:06   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Sven,

Many years ago when I started flying the FAA rules allowed me to do acrobatics in my plane without a parachute as long as I was alone. However, when someone was with me the rules required that both of us had to have parachutes.

Although I intend to mostly sail single-handed, I carry an EPIRB and life raft on board. It is my believe that should something bad happen, the crew deserves the best possible means of survival that I can provide.

Paul

I know where you're coming from. My first aerobatics lessons were in a 1947 Aeronca Champ. And I agree, while I may know the risks of being at sea, my passengers might not. There are degrees to everything. In the old days many sailors did not know how to swim..."Why prolong the inevitable..." I've heard of some cruising sailors today proclaim that they do not carry lifejackets, for the same reason. I have no more reason to want someone else to risk their life for me than the next person, except....
there are some brave souls that wish to take that risk. That being the case, it behooves me to be prepared that they take the minimum amount of time and minimum amount of risk to locate me, hence at the very least the EPIRB.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 08:44   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

SVEN:
In how many cruising emergencies would they actually have to save lives, to justify their possession?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 08:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
SVEN:
In how many cruising emergencies would they actually have to save lives, to justify their possession?
More than they risk.

-Sven
Old 23-03-2011, 09:10   #26
cruiser

Google using life+raft+saves

shows a few. I would imagine checking every manufacturer's "news" or "press release" section will give an idea.
horror scope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 09:19   #27

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
The EPIRB needs to be registered with NOAA in order for anyone to respond if it is activated. All non-registered EPIRBs are ignored totally, and they will not respond to them.
So when you do acquire an EPIRB, please register with NOAA, a simple phone call to them may save your life.

boasun...can you elaborate on this comment?? My understanding is that the registration is to speed SAR operations, not to deny unregesistered EPIRB transmissions from SAR.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 09:36   #28

I would say that if you are dumb enough to take extraordinary risks just because you happen to have an EPIRB on board, then you deserve whatever ill fate comes your way. I would also say that, even if it only saves one life it is going to be more than worth it, if that one life is YOURS!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 09:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I would say that if you are dumb enough to take extraordinary risks just because you happen to have an EPIRB on board, then you deserve whatever ill fate comes your way. I would also say that, even if it only saves one life it is going to be more than worth it, if that one life is YOURS!
And "think of the children"

If we could leave the hysterics out of it for a minute ...

If you would say "I would not go there without an EPIRB" or "I would not make that crossing without a liferaft" then you have made my case for me.

-Sven
Old 23-03-2011, 09:50   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How many EPIRBS and liferafts are ever used to save lives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
In regards to planes and parachutes:

After I started skydiving it really freaks me out to get on a plane and not have a parachute rig on.
I always sit at the back...
Planes don't have reverse.....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote