100% with boatman61 - It is a slippery slope that has again and again been slid down from Liberty to "own your life" to subservience to some governmental committee who "knows better" how you should live your life.
- - As I said before this is actually a major consideration in the factors driving folks to take to the seas and long term cruising
. We are responsible and independent people who do not need to be told how to live.
- - None of which takes away from the value and worthwhileness of EPIRBs and Life rafts. It just means we get to make the decisions whether it is more important to outfit our vessels first with strong and reliable and proven systems like rigging
, engines. navigation
, communication and vessel design features that enhance our survivability - and then if there is any money/resources left over acquire and maintain life rafts and EPIRBS.
- - I for one invested in a sound and safe vessel improving and enhancing the strength and ability of that vessel to see me through anything Mother Nature could logically and sometimes illogically throw my way.
- - Specifically to life rafts there is maxim that originated in the old days that you never get into a life until you have to "step up" to get into it. That came about as it was also well understood that your survival chances floating around in a life raft were extremely minimal compared to staying with your vessel. There were many incidents in the racing
world where taking to life rafts proved to be fatal versus staying with the vessel.
- - Counting on somebody else or some government
to come out and rescue
my ass from my own bad judgements has never been in my equation of what cruising the world is all about.