Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2004, 09:06   #1

hot wire

I have been thinking alot about the use of guns on board and ever since our return from Panama back to San Diego my response to security on board has changed from the use of guns to other ideas for security. I purchased from home depot a hot wire horse security fence. I used this system when I raised horses and cows and it works. The electrical useage is within my boats electrial capabilities. The wire doesn't hurt you but the shock does alarm you. I plan to put two strans on the railing and turn it on when we are away from the boat or in a remote anchorage. I am hooking it up to a security unit that will turn on the mast lights and sound a very very loud horn when the hot wire is touched. This along with night watches and night glasses we feel we can deter theifs. After talking to a lot of people down south of the US taking guns is as dangerous as not being aware of your surroundings. We are planning to leave with the HaHa in Oct and going on to the Carib and will let everyone know how it works.
Tauras
tauras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 18:18   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Lightbulb Had the same thought

Being raised on a horse ranch, I had the same idea. But I was thinking of putting a smoke bomb upon the bow that would go off as well, attracting attension even out of sound range. People are usually concerned when they see smoke coming from a boat and come running.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 05:36   #3

I thought hot wires used the actual ground as the gound path. How would one work on a boat? If one strand is hot and one ground, would a person touch both?

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I also wonder about corrosion of the system in a saltwater environment. Hope it works.

I don't like dogs on board but it seems to be a good solution. Even our little dog would bark enough to keep people away. We found that many Central Americans were afrais of dogs, even small ones.
Old 30-06-2004, 05:27   #4

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
In order for the wire to work it would have to be grounded to the boat, which it is, and the offender would have to ground their shoe to the boat...which they would eventually do I would think...

It's feasible that they could get on the boat without being shocked, but I dont think its likely... the second their hand touches the wire and their shoes touches the boat, (ground), they get zapped.

But I was thinking about a fiberglass/wood boat, will it be conductive enough at low currents to zap someone? I suppose the ground/earth is, so why not.
fujiwara takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 08:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FRG not Conductive

Fibreglass is an insulator, and as such will not be an effective "ground return" for a single wire "hot fence" system.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 09:28   #6

Send a message via AIM to fujiwara takumi Send a message via Yahoo to fujiwara takumi
Re: FRG not Conductive

Quote:
GordMay once whispered in the wind:
Fibreglass is an insulator, and as such will not be an effective "ground return" for a single wire "hot fence" system.
I thought about this, but dirt really shouldn't be either?
fujiwara takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 11:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Earth resistance

The earth (dirt) resistance varies greatly with composition, and moisture content - but it's all (more or less) conductive - even absolutely dry stuff.

Old 30-06-2004, 11:59   #8

If the boat were wet, it would work otherwise you have to run two wires close together. Shaving off just the outsides of a lamp cord would work if it were run along a safety line and one were to grab it to pull them selves aboard. 50/50 chance I guess! Then there are motion detectors (heat sensitive).
............................................_/)
Old 04-07-2004, 08:18   #9

Gord: I contacted the mfg of the hot wire and asked if the ground could go directly to the water via metal rod. I did a test set up and found that indeed you can ground directly to the water. Very effective BUT BUT BUT The boats next to me when we did the test didn't like the electrical interferience and so we did a test at anchor away from everyone and the test went well again. We plan to use this when we are at anchor in remote areas. We don't know what effect it has on the underwater enviroment.
Now the other issue is the power consumption yet to be determined as practicle. will let you know later.
tauras
tauras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't Gnd to Water !!!

Don't ground your "Hot Wire" security system directly to the water. It won't work, unless the intruder is also grounded to the water.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:50   #11

So how do you construct the ground? You have to get the intruder to touch the hot wire and the ground at the same time. Are you going to run two wires an inch apart so that they can't grab one without touching the other?

Most importantly, how does this effect electronics such as compasses? And might this create an electrolysis problem if left on for a period of time? Perhaps in the rain?

Chas
cfrickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 14:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
My sentiments exactly. High voltage, high current discharging, would be just great for an electrolosis situation. Plus the radio interference. You effectively have created a high discharge radio pulse. Would be nuts on both the boat and surrounding vessels. I come from a Farm where we use Electric fence extensively. And the annoying Click on Radio Stations and mostly in the background on Telephones is very annoying at times.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 23:24   #13

I would suppose it would be a good idea to give up on the hotwire thought!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 04:35   #14

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
This is a little off the "hot wire" subject, but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with what the laws are as far as carrying a "Tazer" gun aboard? (Gun that shoots probe with high voltage shock to temporarily disable an intruder) Do other countries allow them on board?I have no desire to debate the gun-- to carry/not carry scenario, but I thought maybe a Tazer might be a good alternative instead of using lethal force.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some might - Some don't

Is the Auto Taser legal? Seems to be a lot of confusion on this one.

FROM SOME MANUFACTURERS & DISATRIBUTERS:

The auto taser is legal in the United States and throughout the world. This is because it is not illegal to use an electric arc as a visible deterrent to prevent someone from tampering with your property.

Is the Air Taser legal? It is legal in most states throughout the US and throughout the world - currently over 54 countries. Consumers in HI, IL, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, DC & WI should check local laws first.
International Orders - Stun Guns & Defense Sprays can be exported to the following countries:
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Turkey

If your country is not on this list you may not be authorized to import Stun Guns & Defense Sprays. Contact your local government for more details.

Security Planet Policy/Legal Notice:
STUNNING DEVICES (Auto Taser see below) - Includes: STUN GUN, STUN BATON, AIR TASER, MYOTRON:

STATE RESTRICTION HAWAII, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, RHODE ISLAND, WISCONSIN

CITY RESTRICTION ANNAPOLIS, BALTIMORE, BALTIMORE COUNTY-MD; CHICAGO-IL; DENSION-IA (CRAWFORD COUNTY); DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-DC; PHILADELPHIA-PA

COUNTRIES WE CAN SEND TO: FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, ICELAND, LUXEMBOURG, NETHERLANDS, PORTUGAL, SPAIN, TURKEY