Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2015, 11:33   #1

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-29
Hot Water?

I really would like to have hot water on my 1975 Cal 2-29. I have pressure water and not pump and 2 sinks. Is this possible? Any ideas on what somethings like this would cost or am I just being crazy? Personal grooming aside, I really want hot water for dishes... Ideas?

Old 24-11-2015, 13:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hot Water?

Hi CaitB and welcome to the forum.

Hot water of course can be done but depending on your current setup and equipment may be easy or hard, cheap or expensive so maybe a little more information.

From your question I'm thinking you want a system that works like a house, that is you turn a knob in some way and hot water mixes with the cold coming out of the faucet at the sink (and shower?) like a home water system.

First question, does the boat have second pipes or hoses of some kind running to all the places you want hot water? If not, part of the project will involve running a second hose/pipe next to the existing cold water lines.

Next, do the faucets in place already have places for a hot water line to hook up or do you have single faucets? If not, then you have to switch the singles for a two line faucet or install a second single line faucet.

Once you get past these, how to make the water hot. Four common ways, engine heat, electric, gas, solar.

Engine heat you run a fresh water line into a place on the engine's heat exchanger (some engines come with the adapter installed, some you might have to order a part). You run the engine until it gets hot and it heats the water in your hot water tank.

Electric and gas work like home units but each has issues. Electric takes a LOT of power so you can use it at the dock, run a generator or have a LOT of battery power and a way to recharge them. Gas you have to vent, store the propane, add safety systems so you don't blow up the boat, etc.

Solar you have to add a lot of plumbing lines and don't get much on a cold, cloudy day.

Old 24-11-2015, 13:07   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

On your home page of the forum, click the search button. On the 'Google search' type in hot water. There are lots of discussions on this site about the pros and cons of the various hot water systems on a boat. Hope this helps.
Old 24-11-2015, 13:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi CaitB and welcome to the forum.

Hot water of course can be done but depending on your current setup and equipment may be easy or hard, cheap or expensive so maybe a little more information.

From your question I'm thinking you want a system that works like a house, that is you turn a knob in some way and hot water mixes with the cold coming out of the faucet at the sink (and shower?) like a home water system.

First question, does the boat have second pipes or hoses of some kind running to all the places you want hot water? If not, part of the project will involve running a second hose/pipe next to the existing cold water lines.

Next, do the faucets in place already have places for a hot water line to hook up or do you have single faucets? If not, then you have to switch the singles for a two line faucet or install a second single line faucet.

Once you get past these, how to make the water hot. Four common ways, engine heat, electric, gas, solar.

Engine heat you run a fresh water line into a place on the engine's heat exchanger (some engines come with the adapter installed, some you might have to order a part). You run the engine until it gets hot and it heats the water in your hot water tank.

Electric and gas work like home units but each has issues. Electric takes a LOT of power so you can use it at the dock, run a generator or have a LOT of battery power and a way to recharge them. Gas you have to vent, store the propane, add safety systems so you don't blow up the boat, etc.

Solar you have to add a lot of plumbing lines and don't get much on a cold, cloudy day.
Thanks SkipMac! It's a single pipe, ancient single handle spout and the shower was removed years before I bought the boat.

Now that I completely understand - because you made it easy for me - I'm thinking a big sun shower on deck is a lovely alternative!

Thanks!
Cait
Old 24-11-2015, 13:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
Thanks SkipMac! It's a single pipe, ancient single handle spout and the shower was removed years before I bought the boat.

Now that I completely understand - because you made it easy for me - I'm thinking a big sun shower on deck is a lovely alternative!

Thanks!
Cait
Very glad I could help. Sounds like to add pressure hot water you would have a bit of a project.

One quick, easy, cheap and very functional option is to buy a black, pump up pressure garden sprayer from Home Depot or similar. Fill, set on deck in the sun, when warm take it below, pump and shower.

I say below because I've been in SF Bay a few times when it was quite breezy and cool. Would not have wanted to try a shower in the cockpit.

On cloudy days you can always heat a gallon on the stove and use that to fill the sprayer.
Old 24-11-2015, 13:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Very glad I could help. Sounds like to add pressure hot water you would have a bit of a project.

One quick, easy, cheap and very functional option is to buy a black, pump up pressure garden sprayer from Home Depot or similar. Fill, set on deck in the sun, when warm take it below, pump and shower.

I say below because I've been in SF Bay a few times when it was quite breezy and cool. Would not have wanted to try a shower in the cockpit.

On cloudy days you can always heat a gallon on the stove and use that to fill the sprayer.
That's the joke - if you can sail the Bay, you can sail anywhere!

I love the Home Depot idea.
Old 24-11-2015, 13:52   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
I really would like to have hot water on my 1975 Cal 2-29. I have pressure water and not pump and 2 sinks. Is this possible? Any ideas on what somethings like this would cost or am I just being crazy? Personal grooming aside, I really want hot water for dishes... Ideas?
You'll need a hot water storage tank 4+ gallon and the space to locate it.

You'll need to plumb seperate pressurized hot water lines and update faucets.

You can heat from shore power, lots of solar and house batteries or from engine / generator fresh water circuit. You could also use an on demand propane heater.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-11-2015, 15:20   #8

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Hi Cait.

Welcome to the forum.

I see you already received great feedback.

I'm chiming-in in case you decide to go the garden sprayer route. Duckworths Boat Builders Supply sells a great shower head [and other items...] that fits on a garden sprayer hose. [$5.50]

In case this is useful.

Cheers, and wishing you warm showers in your near future!

Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Cait.

Welcome to the forum.

I see you already received great feedback.

I'm chiming-in in case you decide to go the garden sprayer route. Duckworths Boat Builders Supply sells a great shower head [and other items...] that fits on a garden sprayer hose. [$5.50]

In case this is useful.

Cheers, and wishing you warm showers in your near future!

Bill
Wow! Thanks for this!!
Old 24-11-2015, 15:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I also recommend the adaptation of a garden sprayer for a shower. Saw this many years ago but I already have pressure hot water. My point is that consider it a multi-tasker.

When swimming in salt water I keep a 2 gal sprayer in the cockpit with fresh water. This allows at least 3 swimmers to have a quick freshwater rinse without messing up the cabin with draining saltwater.

Other than that, I can't add a thing to the excellent advise you have received.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: