Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 00:59   #121
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
My hyena can kick yer dogs ass...

I am not a fan of trying to use a dog as a security measure. The dog gets whacked first. Always.

I am not a fan of guns. There is always someone with more firepower.

I am not a fan of being boarded and helple
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3820508163.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	42476  
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 05:30   #122
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Security on the water needs to be addressed by boaters, local officials, governments, and the Navy. Places like Somolia is a little different from the Caribbean...well at least the modern day Caribbean.

Bring back harsh punishments for those who are caught. Have quick response teams to respond to pirate attacks. Have secure areas in your boat to hide out (this might be tough to design). Track pirates if they make it to land. Come up with a good defence against pirates both when you are aboard and not aboard.

Hang up a few of them in public like this... let the birds peck their sunburnt skin.

Right! Sounds good but personally I can't see any of this happening. Except for have a secure area on the boat for yourself, the rest of it involves government funds and lots of it. If you've read the news lately you'll know governments have much bigger problems than piracy against recreational boaters.
__________________

__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 05:55   #123
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Goteborg City,
Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
My hyena can kick yer dogs ass...

I am not a fan of trying to use a dog as a security measure. The dog gets whacked first. Always.
And what would you prefer? That they whack you first? Somehow I fail to see the problem.. I love my dogs, but I have no problem with losing a dog if I save my life. But mostly the are company and guard-dogs when at land.

.manitu
__________________
Is it possible that my sole purpose in life is to act as a warning to others?
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 06:12   #124
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,116
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I didnt know bullets can't reach the bow of a boat, good thing to know. Do I have to perform any magic rituals to ensure its a safe place from bullets. What's it like is it a kind of " in the matrix" effect.

Dave
Met a guy who worked for NRC in Canada. Said during the war he designed bullet-resistant glass portlights assemblies for the Navy. Had to resist .50 cal @ 200yrs.
Said he was enthusiastic---until he found out they were going into plywood PT boats. Oh well!!
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 06:31   #125
Registered User
 
jeanathon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WNC mountains U.S.
Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Posts: 513
Dogs generally provide an early warning system, and more companionship than say motion detectors. They would also probably force a smiling pirate to show his real intentions earlier, and last but not least will provide considerable distraction to would be pirates not sure whether to focus on your dog or you brandishing your wife's high heel as a weapon. Dogs and mankind have been a team since domestication. In my case my dog expects me to have the boom stick and not miss when he flushes a pheasant otherwise I get the look!
__________________
Let's ban together to ban sillycone....
jeanathon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 07:07   #126
Registered User
 
pressuredrop's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Posts: 794
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Dogs generally provide an early warning system, and more companionship than say motion detectors.
yes but my motion detector doesnt crap on the foredeck
__________________
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 07:40   #127
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

I believe an alarm system combined with delayed entry measures works.

What I mean with that is a very loud siren, plus multiple high power strobe lights at the frequency that induces epilepsia (= often illegal but not in Caribbean AFAIK), both at eye/ear level plus the spreader lights, coupled to a car-alarm, works well in deterring boarding while at anchor when other boats or locals are around.

But you still need measures that delay their entry, like steel bars in the companionway. Experts add a final deterrent method in case they persist and keep kicking in the steel bars, but that one is too controversial to further discuss.

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 07:41   #128
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Goteborg City,
Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat
Posts: 273
Heh, yeah of course the dog has to crap somewhere. If you don't like dogs, it might not be your ideal solution. And to be honest, I guess they work better against common robbers than pirates. But in the odd situation, with a small and barely armed pirate boat approaching, I would not be without them. Or my shotgun..

.manitu
__________________
Is it possible that my sole purpose in life is to act as a warning to others?
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 08:58   #129
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

I am new to boating and to this forum, but I am no stranger to firearms and self-defense arguments. Having been raised in the western United States, my viewpoint regarding firearms is heavily biased by my upbringing.

First, my qualifications as slightly more than an armchair quarterback. Not much more, but slightly:

I've been shot at in a drive-by, and I've stared down the barrel of a gun from 10 feet away one other time. The first time I was not armed, the second time I was quite heavily armed, as were my 3 compadres. Both times, the outcome was the same: I walked away unscathed.

I've also been a competitive shooter for a number of years, and I teach concealed carry permit classes. I carried a sidearm damn near every day for almost two years, and most of the time it was just a lead weight dragging my pants down. The only times I was ever glad that I had it was when I had to visit rough neighborhoods. So, that started being the only time I carried.

Regarding all the bravado talk: You can plan, and you can talk, but the reality is that in order to put a realistic self-defense scenario in action when the time comes, you have to TRAIN for it. And not just occasionally. It's something that requires drills for muscle memory, multi-scenario training events, and extensive repetition. There is a reason that people that do this sort of thing professionally spend so much time training. It's also the reason that the vast majority of "security guards" in America are NOT armed -- because they don't/can't put in the training time.

Once I find my dream boat and am living aboard here in the States, YES, I will be armed. It will be my home, and defending your home turf with deadly force if you feel your life is threatened is a right under most state Constitutions.

If I choose to take a weekend sail on up into Canada, the guns will stay locked in storage on American soil. Why? It's not worth 5 years in Canadian prison for getting caught with large capacity magazines.

Sailing on up to Alaska? Yes, with proper advance registration with Canadian authorities for passage.

Mexico? Are you insane? I haven't been to Mexico in 12 years, and with conditions there, I'd be insane to go back.

My point is that carrying a firearm, even just having one aboard, is a tremendous responsibility not to be taken lightly. If you're going to have it, train regularly to use it. And if you're going to carry it beyond your home waters where it's legal, then you need to understand the legalities and potential consequences at your destination, and be willing to accept the fines and prison time applicable overseas.

I have traveled a bit overseas by air over the past few years, and the decision of where to go is the same as it is for me here in the States, and I doubt my rules will change once I'm skilled enough to sail there. There are places that I would love to visit, but simply won't, because of the local "situation". I'll visit Santiago, Chile, but not Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. That's obviously a personal comfort level thing, obviously. I'm currently visiting Portland, OR for the summer, and there are a couple of parts of the metro area that are just smart to avoid.

I personally have zero interest in visiting the Caribbean, nor the coast of Somalia. I do, however, daydream about sailing the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, and I am saddened by reports of piracy there that are enough to keep me from visiting anytime soon.
__________________
Jassen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 09:24   #130
Registered User
 
IntoMyHealth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Connecticut
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Because you iz bobbing up and down makes you harder to hit ......plus if someone has you safely out of their way then they shouldn't need to disarm you.

and what you could also do from the bow (if you had hank on sails) is to unclip the halyard and then swing around (outboard!) and decapitate them as you swung past . Probably help with the element of surprise if also came out of the sun .......other crew should shoot some Youtube - even if it goes badly should still be good to watch .
LOL! Love the image! I don't carry a machete, but I do carry a nice guitar (think El Kabong).
__________________
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 09:29   #131
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

armchair quarterbacks is it ? that's a hoot ! many of the members posting on this thread have done a fair amount of sailing and/living on the water....the basic facts are this...if your going to be sailing in areas...and as Jannsen posted above..even landlubbing into areas that are known for risk and danger..you have some idea of what your getting into and take such precautions as you can...like Jannsen..I am too am from the South West and reside the majority of my time on a ranch miles from towns in either direction...I pack...big deal. But we all know or should know that the USCG and other entities allegedly controlling the water ways and the highways of the World frown on weapons to the degree that the innocent suffer the consequences...the plain truth is...we are all at risk either landlubbering in Oakland CA ( where I was nearly killed by four thugs one dark rainy night some years back when I took a wrong turn and fended them off with an umbrella long enough for a passing car to come down the street allowing me the opportunity to run right into its headlights waiving my arms which scared the gang off of me and gave me the chance to escape) or on the water when being invaded by malfeasants attempting to board our sailboat ( by the way...my husband did use a flare gun on a big pirate who was trying to board his boat..years ago in the Southern Carrib area...he never had to shoot..he simply warned him off with the fear of what might happen if he did...) each situation presented is different. Here on this thread..a lot of humor is interjected and for those who have a sense of the comedic tragedy its a bit of a macabre fun...like whistling in the graveyard at midnight...those of us who know and understand that its a dangerous world out there...have long considered various means of defense/offense in some cases...the ideas here on this thread provide, while seemingly humorous, provide some more.. and also may give rise to perhaps yet another tactic when the dire moment arrives...its too bad we have to ponder and joke about such things...but the World is really no different now than it ever was...we just have ability to hear about it more and faster....maybe that is the best defense after all...knowledge.
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 09:34   #132
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

..oops sorry Jassen...I was referring to your post when I referenced "Jannsen"...duh...anyway, your right on...
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 10:22   #133
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
I am new to boating and to this forum, but I am no stranger to firearms and self-defense arguments. Having been raised in the western United States, my viewpoint regarding firearms is heavily biased by my upbringing.

First, my qualifications as slightly more than an armchair quarterback. Not much more, but slightly:

I've been shot at in a drive-by, and I've stared down the barrel of a gun from 10 feet away one other time. The first time I was not armed, the second time I was quite heavily armed, as were my 3 compadres. Both times, the outcome was the same: I walked away unscathed.

I've also been a competitive shooter for a number of years, and I teach concealed carry permit classes. I carried a sidearm damn near every day for almost two years, and most of the time it was just a lead weight dragging my pants down. The only times I was ever glad that I had it was when I had to visit rough neighborhoods. So, that started being the only time I carried.

Regarding all the bravado talk: You can plan, and you can talk, but the reality is that in order to put a realistic self-defense scenario in action when the time comes, you have to TRAIN for it. And not just occasionally. It's something that requires drills for muscle memory, multi-scenario training events, and extensive repetition. There is a reason that people that do this sort of thing professionally spend so much time training. It's also the reason that the vast majority of "security guards" in America are NOT armed -- because they don't/can't put in the training time.

Once I find my dream boat and am living aboard here in the States, YES, I will be armed. It will be my home, and defending your home turf with deadly force if you feel your life is threatened is a right under most state Constitutions.

If I choose to take a weekend sail on up into Canada, the guns will stay locked in storage on American soil. Why? It's not worth 5 years in Canadian prison for getting caught with large capacity magazines.

Sailing on up to Alaska? Yes, with proper advance registration with Canadian authorities for passage.

Mexico? Are you insane? I haven't been to Mexico in 12 years, and with conditions there, I'd be insane to go back.

My point is that carrying a firearm, even just having one aboard, is a tremendous responsibility not to be taken lightly. If you're going to have it, train regularly to use it. And if you're going to carry it beyond your home waters where it's legal, then you need to understand the legalities and potential consequences at your destination, and be willing to accept the fines and prison time applicable overseas.

I have traveled a bit overseas by air over the past few years, and the decision of where to go is the same as it is for me here in the States, and I doubt my rules will change once I'm skilled enough to sail there. There are places that I would love to visit, but simply won't, because of the local "situation". I'll visit Santiago, Chile, but not Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. That's obviously a personal comfort level thing, obviously. I'm currently visiting Portland, OR for the summer, and there are a couple of parts of the metro area that are just smart to avoid.

I personally have zero interest in visiting the Caribbean, nor the coast of Somalia. I do, however, daydream about sailing the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, and I am saddened by reports of piracy there that are enough to keep me from visiting anytime soon.
Its not so much Pi rats that you have got to worry about right now ,its the fued between nations..China ,PI,Vietnam,etc...The US has just said that they will station 60% of our navy there by 2014! should be good to go then ...Ha ha ha...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 10:27   #134
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
armchair quarterbacks is it ? that's a hoot ! many of the members posting on this thread have done a fair amount of sailing and/living on the water....the basic facts are this...if your going to be sailing in areas...and as Jannsen posted above..even landlubbing into areas that are known for risk and danger..you have some idea of what your getting into and take such precautions as you can...like Jannsen..I am too am from the South West and reside the majority of my time on a ranch miles from towns in either direction...I pack...big deal. But we all know or should know that the USCG and other entities allegedly controlling the water ways and the highways of the World frown on weapons to the degree that the innocent suffer the consequences...the plain truth is...we are all at risk either landlubbering in Oakland CA ( where I was nearly killed by four thugs one dark rainy night some years back when I took a wrong turn and fended them off with an umbrella long enough for a passing car to come down the street allowing me the opportunity to run right into its headlights waiving my arms which scared the gang off of me and gave me the chance to escape) or on the water when being invaded by malfeasants attempting to board our sailboat ( by the way...my husband did use a flare gun on a big pirate who was trying to board his boat..years ago in the Southern Carrib area...he never had to shoot..he simply warned him off with the fear of what might happen if he did...) each situation presented is different. Here on this thread..a lot of humor is interjected and for those who have a sense of the comedic tragedy its a bit of a macabre fun...like whistling in the graveyard at midnight...those of us who know and understand that its a dangerous world out there...have long considered various means of defense/offense in some cases...the ideas here on this thread provide, while seemingly humorous, provide some more.. and also may give rise to perhaps yet another tactic when the dire moment arrives...its too bad we have to ponder and joke about such things...but the World is really no different now than it ever was...we just have ability to hear about it more and faster....maybe that is the best defense after all...knowledge.
True!know yourself and know your enviroment !if times are bad here in the west they cant be any better in the developing world and to venture there without knowledge is sure folly!..DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-06-2012, 10:30   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gulf and Caribbean
Boat: Irwin 30
Posts: 264
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Hey bobconnie, where do I buy a 10 guage flare gun with enough flares for an emergency! Love your attitude, my thinking exactly...Be safe all, even if it takes being afraid or rude and STAYING AWAY from others at all times and risks...
__________________

__________________
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.