Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 14:14   #316

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Lol, ti, good answer; I guess you're relying more on your bangstick than a wizard stick....good choice.

19 ounces of lead? That's a lotta bullets! Either a cop or a soldier.......US official doctrine on firearms:

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move. If you just shot it, shoot it again, it might just be pretending to not move. If you're not sure if your gun works, shoot something. If you shot your friend, shoot him some more in case he shoots back, 'cos he ain't your friend no more. If you shoot yourself, you just committed a heinous felony and will be shot for it. If someone else shoots you, they may have done it in self defence, but if you survive you will both be shot. Those without guns are unpatriotic and unsporting and will be shot. Those taking guns from others for whatever reason are unpatriotic and unsporting and will be shot. Anyone who has not been shot yet is suspicious and may be planning to shoot someone, so as a precaution they should be shot. Someone who has been shot and survived is plainly cheating, and will be shot properly this time. Foreigners may be shot at any time, unless you can't get to them in which case you may supply them with guns and they will take care of it for you. Any of them that are alive afterward are clearly dangerous violent gun-freaks and should be shot.

Rest of the world gun-handling methods: Remain stationary and calm, someone will be along to shoot you shortly. If you think you have been overlooked, you may throw yourself under a bus.
Old 18-08-2012, 14:23   #317
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Lol, ti, good answer; I guess you're relying more on your bangstick than a wizard stick....good choice.

19 ounces of lead? That's a lotta bullets! Either a cop or a soldier.......US official doctrine on firearms:

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move. If you just shot it, shoot it again, it might just be pretending to not move. If you're not sure if your gun works, shoot something. If you shot your friend, shoot him some more in case he shoots back, 'cos he ain't your friend no more. If you shoot yourself, you just committed a heinous felony and will be shot for it. If someone else shoots you, they may have done it in self defence, but if you survive you will both be shot. Those without guns are unpatriotic and unsporting and will be shot. Those taking guns from others for whatever reason are unpatriotic and unsporting and will be shot. Anyone who has not been shot yet is suspicious and may be planning to shoot someone, so as a precaution they should be shot. Someone who has been shot and survived is plainly cheating, and will be shot properly this time. Foreigners may be shot at any time, unless you can't get to them in which case you may supply them with guns and they will take care of it for you. Any of them that are alive afterward are clearly dangerous violent gun-freaks and should be shot.

Rest of the world gun-handling methods: Remain stationary and calm, someone will be along to shoot you shortly. If you think you have been overlooked, you may throw yourself under a bus.
That sounds about right. Average number of rounds expended by regular infantry per enemy casualty in Vietnam=approx. 21,000. Average number of rounds per enemy casualty expended by scout snipers=1.5.
The munitions industry loves this attitude! More bullets and more bombs to sell, it's what "shock and awe" is all about...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-08-2012, 14:40   #318

Minaret.....for cynicism, sarcasm, disparaging comments about the diligent and hardworking campaign-contributing munitions industry, mocking the poor marksmanship and fire discipline of those poor sods sent to the police-action farce called Vietnam, and your suspicious sounding forum name: you will be shot. Also, the scout snipers are mad at you for revealing that they too, on occasion, had to shoot someone more than once. They will be looking out for you....
Old 18-08-2012, 14:53   #319
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Minaret.....for cynicism, sarcasm, disparaging comments about the diligent and hardworking campaign-contributing munitions industry, mocking the poor marksmanship and fire discipline of those poor sods sent to the police-action farce called Vietnam, and your suspicious sounding forum name: you will be shot. Also, the scout snipers are mad at you for revealing that they too, on occasion, had to shoot someone more than once. They will be looking out for you....
Lol! It's worse than that, I believe the occasional miss may have been involved! But I doubt they'll be looking out for me.
Give the poor buggers in 'Nam a break, training was horrible back then and the jungle was thick. Plus they were up against the Vietnamese, with Vo Nguyen Giap in charge. Bad idea to break the basic Western tenet of "no land war in Asia". They should have learned from Korea.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-08-2012, 15:23   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Lol! It's worse than that, I believe the occasional miss may have been involved! But I doubt they'll be looking out for me.
Give the poor buggers in 'Nam a break, training was horrible back then and the jungle was thick. Plus they were up against the Vietnamese, with Vo Nguyen Giap in charge. Bad idea to break the basic Western tenet of "no land war in Asia". They should have learned from Korea.

Interesting...

"Please be advised that you are about to respond to a HOT TOPIC! This topic is under unusual scrutiny by forum moderators and posts may require moderator approval before they will display for others to view. By posting you affirm that you are aware of our forum rules and that your post is in accordance with those rules, polite and on topic. A breach of our Community Rules in this thread will result in an Official Warning, or Strike. Remember; we take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness."

I will try to be honest and nice,at the same time.

Seems the DEA is now shooting unarmed Honduran Civilians in boats too.

Investigative report into DEA-related killings in Honduras finds inconsistencies

so,I guess maybe we all never learned....

Its still a dangerous world.

I hope we dont start the WW3 .

Cheers to open Forums and Peace to All
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-08-2012, 15:34   #321

You naughty man; now the scout snipers are so livid at being exposed as having actually missed something, they're busy shooting each other to prove their accuracy. I suppose it saves them being shot by someone else for incompetence...

Agree with you asking for leniency for the poor 'Nam vets; they got the big shaft from several directions....the enemy, their own government, and their own people. Still, the war, sorry, police action, achieved its purposes: R&D, profits, social and political change (especially at home), and a whole mountain range of mangled bodies. Yes, the ptb like blood. They are not stupid or incompetent, and if one investigates their own admissions and actions in detail, there is no other conclusion to be drawn; monsters. They must be thirsty again because we're approaching a real doozy of a cull, if the classic signs are anything to go by. Just this week it was announced over here that German armour is once again permitted to be used on the population, in emergencies. The Lisbon treaty contained a footnote to that effect anyway, but we're seeing it come out in the provinces now.

But enough digression. All this thread drift, we could be shot for this you know. Not by cruisers, of course....everyone knows they don't pack live iron. To attempt to get us back on the approved topic, I'll remark that in the Panama Canal thread there are a couple of references to never ever go wandering about the streets of Colon. Surely, if a local community is known to be as unsafe as that then logically one could expect that it will from time to time spill out onto the water; especially close to shore, or opportunist fishermen meeting a lone gringo boat further out. The key to not becoming subject of a sad story is avoid giving the criminals amongst the locals opportunity of getting within stabbing/clubbing threat range, or permitting them to get so close that they can pin you in place on deck with threats of gunfire.

The ideas of alarms and locks are all well and good, but then the problem is already on deck and might not give a rip about your alarm or your lock, because they know there is either a long time to do what they want, or that nobody is coming at all. An additional physical/psychological barrier would be far more effective at keeping you safe aboard, which means some or all of the following: high freeboard, high and narrow rails, no permanently accessible swim step or boarding ladder, screens to prevent recon from outside, dog/s for warning and deterrence, some means of instilling uncertainty as to crew numbers/presence and condition, evidence collection devices such as prominent cameras, avoidance of open show of wealth (difficult in places where having more than two shirts is "well-off"), alertness as to behaviour and attitude of the locals, communication between cruisers/expats, and lastly, micah marine's nifty and affordable uncuttable anti-boarding net. Probably a whole lot more things that can be done, too

Ok, before I exceed the char limit and get put up in front of my own wall of text, I'd better pull the trigger on the post.
Old 29-08-2012, 07:49   #322

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Hmmm. Who would of thunk it?
Ships Deter Pirate Stalkers by Signaling Armed Guards
jeanathon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-08-2012, 14:21   #323

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

what does your post have to do w/ hondura???
defever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-08-2012, 05:00   #324

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
If you read through the thread you will find the usual debate about piracy and how to deal with it. The link while stating what should be obvious was placed to provide food for thought.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:04   #325

Quote:

Alot of thread drift here. Guns is not just a USA problem as most of the pirates use guns outside USA. Was just last year a canadian was shot off Honduras by locals in a skiff seeking outboard motor repairs. Www.noonsite has many accounts of reported piracy if you like pirate recounts. No-one likes to lock themselves into their boat at anchor at night but in some areas it is a wise move. To immediately turn on deck floodlights and a loud siren is also smart if approached by intruders as most thieves hate attention being brought to their activities. Once a pirate has "the drop on you or someone you care about" it is too late for self defence or to retrieve your stashed pistolla. Then you must deal/negotiate with the intruders.If you choose to "throw yourself under the bus" it would not make as good a read on www.noonsite as to throw a grenade into the pirate bus/skiff.Especially if you have chosen to "go out with a bang".Modern grenades are compact and can easily be hidden in canned food stash cans to avoid metal detectors. Just be sure to grab the right can of Bushce beans before opening the hatch.There is also plenty of info on the internet about how to make your own incendiary devices etc. from gasoline,propane and fertilizer etc.Any gunshop selling reloader supplies also sells pure gunpowder in gallon size containers.By troliing the marine supply stores one can also find the old-style double barrel flaregun which is simply part of the boats safety gear as USCG required.Usually a 12 gauge shotgun is allowed most places and you dont have to be a Wyatt Earp to hit what your aiming at with 00 buckshot loads.Obviously if you have chosen the path of "most" resistance and "no dealing" with pirates i recommend leaving the area immediately afterwards if you survive and making no police report as you might have just injured a person who has the local authority "under their thumb".Depending on the country this could result in some jailtime or a large ticket of 5-50000.But at least if you flee you keep your cash and its a "big rock" with alot of beautiful places elsewhere including the woman/women you cherish. Pirates are "a waste of air".Throw them into Davey Jones Locker with the cudas.
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-08-2012, 07:07   #326

I read up on the Kiwi that got himself shot in the Amazon, Sir Peter X (forgot his name atm).

They were doing well in a bad area, but eventually the crew relaxed their vigilance and the dirtbags got aboard and bailed them up. Sir Peter jumped out of a cabin and shot one of the robbers in the hand, and then his rifle jammed and he was then shot in the back. So, lack of vigilance, poor weapon handling and atrocious tactics at a bad time...and handy fuel for the travel defenceless and surrender immediately crowd.

There was another case where some robbers with a pistol came alongside and shot one sailor, the other guy returned fire with a shotgun and lived. It isn't the only case I read about, but it's low priority for me.

With the general worldwide trend of disarming everyone except criminals, the days of guns aboard are growing short. Travelers are going to have to be more careful as to where and how they go, who they permit to approach, and how they handle things. Avoid doing things that can't be undone.

Home-built grenades? The ptb would consider those even more excuse to prosecute than guns. Difficult to hide, especially the ones with nitrates in them. Also, only useful when the crap has really hit the fan. A simple and very effective and stealthy device would be a quantity of thermite (aluminium powder and iron oxide) that one can quickly attach to a magnesium flare. Don't drop it on your own deck; it burns over 2000 degrees celcius, and is as dangerous to look at as a welding arc. Putting it out would be difficult (understatement). Anything flammable near it will flamm, very ably. Anything less than magnesium won't light it, so it is much safer than liquids or fertiliser concoctions; and, it smells like aluminium and iron oxide, so the little beagles don't get exited.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:25   #327
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Sir Peter Blake
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-08-2012, 07:35   #328

Quote:
I read up on the Kiwi that got himself shot in the Amazon, Sir Peter X (forgot his name atm).

They were doing well in a bad area, but eventually the crew relaxed their vigilance and the dirtbags got aboard and bailed them up. Sir Peter jumped out of a cabin and shot one of the robbers in the hand, and then his rifle jammed and he was then shot in the back. So, lack of vigilance, poor weapon handling and atrocious tactics at a bad time...and handy fuel for the travel defenceless and surrender immediately crowd.

There was another case where some robbers with a pistol came alongside and shot one sailor, the other guy returned fire with a shotgun and lived. It isn't the only case I read about, but it's low priority for me.

With the general worldwide trend of disarming everyone except criminals, the days of guns aboard are growing short. Travelers are going to have to be more careful as to where and how they go, who they permit to approach, and how they handle things. Avoid doing things that can't be undone.

Home-built grenades? The ptb would consider those even more excuse to prosecute than guns. Difficult to hide, especially the ones with nitrates in them. Also, only useful when the crap has really hit the fan. A simple and very effective and stealthy device would be a quantity of thermite (aluminium powder and iron oxide) that one can quickly attach to a magnesium flare. Don't drop it on your own deck; it burns over 2000 degrees celcius, and is as dangerous to look at as a welding arc. Putting it out would be difficult (understatement). Anything flammable near it will flamm, very ably. Anything less than magnesium won't light it, so it is much safer than liquids or fertiliser concoctions; and, it smells like aluminium and iron oxide, so the little beagles don't get exited.
YEA, disarm all us just sailors seems to be the trend. Easy to press x on our Rambo laptops and erase the problem but my feelings really do get sad when i read about the victims. I will definitely put them under the bus first chance i get. Just the other night a racoon came on my deck and ate a hornets nest i was comptalplating how to erase. The racoon ate the hornets nest so i suppose the least i can do is the same if a hornets nest develops on my deck again.Perhaps a hornets nest of pirates needing magnesium. Cheers
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-08-2012, 08:37   #329

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Wow, I ignored this thread for a couple of days and look what happened. The topic of thievery and bandits comes up all the time here. There are so many cheap burglar alarms that would work on your boat or dinghy. Many of these are under 50 bucks. I'll bet when the bad guy is met with a high decibel alarm he will be hastily disembarking. No brainier. I really don't understand why more cruisers don't have this stuff.
Old 30-08-2012, 12:37   #330

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There are so many cheap burglar alarms that would work on your boat or dinghy. Many of these are under 50 bucks. I'll bet when the bad guy is met with a high decibel alarm he will be hastily disembarking. No brainier. I really don't understand why more cruisers don't have this stuff.

Part of the reason is the fact that they don't last long in the marine environ and they have a high rate of false alarms.

I have read multiple threads on several sites for years and don't remember that someone has suggested a specific brand and model number that fits the bill.