Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 08:08   #151
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Capn_bill,
Pretty fair and IMO accurate summation
No real answer, it is just the way it is
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 09:28   #152
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Considering almost every country in the world confiscates arms during check in, the reality is that a vast majority of violence against yachting occurs not in open water piracy but at anchor or on passage between harbors of a given country. So most of the time we will be unarmed, unless fool enough to have smuggled arms...

Here is an excerpt from

http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/sur...d_robbery.html

It is a very long and very comprehensive article on minimises risk, how to be smart and how to survive. The following excerpt is interesting, but the article is defo worth a full read...see below.


No one can always prepare for every eventuality, and you may still find yourself the sudden victim of a robbery attempt. During an armed robbery, it's most prudent to adopt the following tactics:

* do precisely as you are told, and no more;

* avoid eye contact with the robber;

* speak only when spoken to;

* tell the robber exactly what you are doing;

* make no sudden movements;

* don't activate alarms unless it is safe to do so;

* try to remain calm and control your emotions; and

* remember as many details as possible about the bandit and the incident.

If you believe we are peddling mere passivity as someone takes away your hard-earned valuables, you're quite wrong. There are other ways to fight other than the 'macho' way of the movies. Remember, one should only fight back physically as a last resort, when you feel as if your life or person (or someone with you) is, at that moment, truly in danger. After all, very few people are faster than speeding bullets in real-life.
__________________

__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 09:41   #153
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
And worse there is a significant crowd that makes excuses for them , (we are rich, they are poor, we caused it by flashing cash, stealing their fish etc....).
I think you are confusing folks understanding where those who will rob "You" are coming from - with folks also saying it is ok.

A little bit of understanding (of the opposition) goes a long way in "self defence".


Quote:
The only real defence against an act of violence is to commit an act of violence with more force than the attack. Fighting a well muscled guy armed with a machete with a baseball bat sounds good in theory until you have actually tried it. And should he somehow lose he will just come back with a bigger machete.
I have never lost a fight with a bloke wielding a machete.

Nowadays that is mostly because I live somewhere civilised .

Back in the day and further afield (in a time and in places that never happened ) the main line of defence was.....not being there when the machete wielding etc events kicked off (nothing ever happens without smoke signals - yours or theirs). or from them not being there beforehand .....or from events not happening as folk knowing that them getting chopped up with a machete would be the least of their problems if they started playing silly buggers.....and none of that was from blind luck, well, ok - some of it was , but we all have learning curves . No air cover either (that approach is for wusses and don't pay so well . and you have to get out of bed very early with some hairy assed wassack shoutin' at ya ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 09:47   #154
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Uh, guys I haven't read all the post but what does this have to do with the original post? No no, don't answer that. Think that is how this bickering all got started.

The point of my post, that was on topic I might add ( do I get brownie points?) is safety in numbers helped us thwart a pirate attack.

Now, I'm starting a pool on how many post left before this thread gets closed...


I guess 4.
Nahhh O.G. ya lost already...and the "hits keep on coming"...!!! LOL
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 09:57   #155
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

I have never lost a fight with a bloke wielding a machete.
I just laughed so hard I spit food on the table...
__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 11:25   #156
Registered User
 
captainKJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 3rd wave passed the sea wall
Boat: private yacht always moving
Posts: 1,388
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Why can't we all just get along?????

Next time a Bad Guy comes onboard your sailboat instead of resisting with a gun, or machete, or any other form of hostility,,,, maybe we could just ask him to sit with us and sing this song,,,,,,,,,,,,,kill them with kindness,,,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kumbaya-every-now-and-then.jpg.gif
Views:	105
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	42554  
__________________
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 11:51   #157
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Why can't we all just get along?????

Next time a Bad Guy comes onboard your sailboat instead of resisting with a gun, or machete, or any other form of hostility,,,, maybe we could just ask him to sit with us and sing this song,,,,,,,,,,,,,kill them with kindness,,,

Odd as it sounds it has worked for me ...fellow caught me on a back st. in a no go hood in the middle of Kingston Ja .I was riding a motorbike ,and he put his hand over mine on the clutch so I couldnt let out on it and said this is a robbery! I said "A what"? then I told him he didnt want to do that and he laughed a little and said "just kidding mon"..I think had I said something silly like, take my money but dont hurt me, he would have..of course he wasnt a pie rat,just a punk on a back st.Another time I was in a park in Indonesia w/a girl, and a guy came up and stuck a plastic bag to my head and said give me your camara! I was about to comply when the girl said, hes not getting my camara! I tried to reason with her that he had a gun and a demand! She said that it wasnt a gun but a coconut shell!! Hell I knew that!..I could have stabbed this guy as I had a knife in my hand,glad I didnt ,I would have went to jail for defending myself!...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 13:36   #158
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409
Posts: 174
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The end result of all this is I see 4 basic camps.

Camp 1. I've never been robbed personnally, so I see no need for all the paranoia.

Camp 2. If you give the poor thieves your money they will leave you in peace. Besides we are incapable of carring enough fire power to make a difference.

Camp 3. Inadequate and half hearted defence is enough, (my chihuahua will take on 10 grown fully armed men)

Camp 4. I carry a small army in my back pocket, and enough ammo to take on each crook that has ever robbed a boat in the world,... all at once.
I really think that you missed a category (camp): Those who stay informed and stay away from places where a gang of organized thugs go unchecked by the lack of any law enforcement, but are prepared to respond to a person or a small group who wish to take advantage of an easy mark.

Sharing first hand experiences on Cruisers Forum helps us all stay informed on which areas are better left alone until / if conditions improve.

Making blanket statements on how to prepare, or not to prepare to respond to an unfortunate situation is just white noise on the forum.

Weather, food and supplies, finances, documentation, condition of your vessel and personal protection all have a lot in common. As a community we can choose to inform ourselves of the various risks and offer advice on how to manage them, but it comes down to individual situational awareness and preparedness. We all make our own choices on what risks we are willing to face, and how we choose to do so.

Some people have decided that a passive approach to hostilities is the best path. To each their own... I personally like that because the thugs always go for the easiest mark and there are very few conditions where I would be considered to be the path of least resistance.

Let's all keep each other informed and ourselves prepared. And enjoy life to it's fullest while doing so!


Lucky Larry
__________________
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 13:41   #159
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
I really think that you missed a category (camp): Those who stay informed and stay away from places where a gang of organized thugs go unchecked by the lack of any law enforcement, but are prepared to respond to a person or a small group who wish to take advantage of an easy mark.

Sharing first hand experiences on Cruisers Forum helps us all stay informed on which areas are better left alone until / if conditions improve.

Making blanket statements on how to prepare, or not to prepare to respond to an unfortunate situation is just white noise on the forum.

Weather, food and supplies, finances, documentation, condition of your vessel and personal protection all have a lot in common. As a community we can choose to inform ourselves of the various risks and offer advice on how to manage them, but it comes down to individual situational awareness and preparedness. We all make our own choices on what risks we are willing to face, and how we choose to do so.

Some people have decided that a passive approach to hostilities is the best path. To each their own... I personally like that because the thugs always go for the easiest mark and there are very few conditions where I would be considered to be the path of least resistance.

Let's all keep each other informed and ourselves prepared. And enjoy life to it's fullest while doing so!


Lucky Larry
yah...that's my camp...move over and let me in...LOL
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:23   #160
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 382
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

I was on an isolated beach in India with an Indian friend many years ago and we were approached by 2 men. They were yelling at my friend in Hindu and gesturing at me. My hand was in the pocket of my backpack holding my swiss army knife the entire time. My friend stood between the men and me and tried to calm them. They had a motor bike parked close, our was some distance away so running was not an option. My friend gave them his money, a 500 rupee note and convinced them to leave me alone. He confirmed later they had been threatening to rape me.

We walked slowly back to our motorcycle and as we turned onto the main road we saw our robbers crossing the road toward a family park a few hundred feet away. My friend had me hop off the bike and he went after them. He confronted them in the parking lot with loads of other people around and the bystanders grabbed the guys and held them while my friend and I went to get the police. Later, at the police station while we were giving our statements, I had to witness these robbers stripped down to their underwear being brutally caned and crying in pain. It was a horrific day and an eye-opening learning experience on justice in "developing" countries.

Being robbed and threatened was terrifying and although I had my little knife wrapped tightly in my hand, I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision to use it. I am convinced that calm and passive is the way to go until lives are in actual danger. You can always get more money, you can't get more life.
__________________
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:30   #161
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
yah...that's my camp...move over and let me in...LOL
Remember what happened in New Orleans with Katrina? We had similar happen in Grenada after Ivan.. 300 people or so died in that aftermath. You can't always avoid trouble; refusing to think about it is like the ostrich that sticks his head under the sand.

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:42   #162
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

Remember what happened in New Orleans with Katrina? We had similar happen in Grenada after Ivan.. 300 people or so died in that aftermath. You can't always avoid trouble; refusing to think about it is like the ostrich that sticks his head under the sand.

cheers,
Nick.
Choosing not to escalate violence until there are no other alternatives does not equate to ignoring that violence exists or not being prepared for it.

All it means is that one doesn't spend too much time watching Hollywood movies and recognises there is a time to accept and a time to resist.

If we were in a situation where it was clear that acceptance wasn't working and my wife or child were at risk I would be capable of any level of violence whether teeth, stick or gun.

One is not a coward if they choose to take a course of action that presents the least amount of risk, even if it is distastful like letting someone take things from you. What that actually makes you is an adult who can control their ego and make rational decisions using situational awareness instead of puffing ones chest out and doing a "Peter Blake"

Worked well for him eh?
__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:46   #163
Registered User
 
susanna reiter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Posts: 202
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

post 160 @terminalcitygrl.......WOW now that is a story...
...being an attorney...every now and again people can get a little hostile toward you...one time a fellow came into our office some years ago and in his anger assaulted my husband at that time and had him by the throat and was trying to choke him to death, I saw it from my office, and while the staff was calling 911, I came out and grabbed the SOB from behind and threw him clean out of the office into the hall way..the guy was about 6'2" and burly...but he was no match for me in my heels and professional suit..at 5'7" and 150 pounds..ya that is what adrenalin can do for you sometimes...then I got everybody separated and calmed down and we ultimately had a peaceful resolution all the way round...
thankfully it ended well.
__________________
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:49   #164
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Choosing not to escalate violence until there are no other alternatives does not equate to ignoring that violence exists or not being prepared for it.

All it means is that one doesn't spend too much time watching Hollywood movies and recognises there is a time to accept and a time to resist.

If we were in a situation where it was clear that acceptance wasn't working and my wife or child were at risk I would be capable of any level of violence whether teeth, stick or gun.

One is not a coward if they choose to take a course of action that presents the least amount of risk, even if it is distastful like letting someone take things from you. What that actually makes you is an adult who can control their ego and make rational decisions using situational awareness instead of puffing ones chest out and doing a "Peter Blake"

Worked well for him eh?
Did you at all read my earlier post? Or did I or someone delete it? Can't remember. Anyway, ordering a set of bars for the companionway when the bad guys are boarding won't work... you have to think it over, prepare and plan *now*. Did I mention the alarm system with sirens and strobe lights before?

Second, locking yourself in is not escalating matters. If it continues beyond that it is the bad guys escalating, not the cruiser that is hiding in his own boat.

Lastly, the lesson to be learned from the Peter Blake incident is that one must buy good tools and maintain them as if your life depends on them. Yes, his rusty gun jammed. He was also stupid to come out charging them.

cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:53   #165
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

Did you at all read my earlier post? Or did I or someone delete it? Can't remember. Anyway, ordering a set of bars for the companionway when the bad guys are boarding won't work... you have to think it over, prepare and plan *now*. Did I mention the alarm system with sirens and strobe lights before?

Second, locking yourself in is not escalating matters. If it continues beyond that it is the bad guys escalating, not the cruiser that is hiding in his own boat.

Lastly, the lesson to be learned from the Peter Blake incident is that one must buy good tools and maintain them as if your life depends on them. Yes, his rusty gun jammed. He was also stupid to come out charging them.

cheers,
Nick.
"Choosing not to escalate violence until there are no other alternatives does not equate to ignoring that violence exists or not being prepared for it. "

I think we are saying the same thing. Violent reaction to violence has its place, it is usually just not the best first response.
__________________

__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.