Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 09:07   #1

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30
Homemade Jacklines

West Marine and Defender's jacklines and tethers were super expensive and when you look at them they really aren't that complicated. I bought some 1" polyester webbing from strapworks.com which went for $0.59 a foot, some stainless steel slides and I stitched the loops with a Speedy Stitcher. Got the snap hooks and carabiners at Minnies in Newport Beach. I know quick release halyard shackles are a better option but they are really expensive. I've tested them by hanging from a climbing harness off the loops, seemed very strong. The picture is the tether ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130224_084113.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	55648  
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:21   #2

Re: Homemade Jacklines

Nice job.

I have read many threads slamming homemade items.

For example you can make your own teathers with REI products, 25-32nm SS carabiners & rope for around $20.00. I don't see a problem with your jacklines either. If mountain climbers can use them, why not sailors.

PLUS, they will be easier to replace down the road because they are less expensive.

I have only seen / used jack lines a few times, but the ones I have used just tie from the bow cleat to the stern cleat, no need for any carabiners or snap hooks.
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 15:19   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

You do not want to be hanging over the side with that set up. Not only is the bronze snap shackle not up to snuff the cheap thing on the other end is no good either. Part of the reason the factory tether is so expensive is the parts are high quality. Another thing ,you want your end to be a proper snap shackle that will release under load just in case you decide that being drug under the boat is worse than floating out in the ocean.,
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 15:33   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

you need to ensure its safety webbing, which has a much higher tensile strength then normal webbing.

dave
Old 24-02-2013, 15:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Our jacklines are nothing more then a length of webbing. We tie the bow end to a pad eye with an overhand knot, and the back end is secured to a cleat. Why would it need to be any more complicated than that???

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:46   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=witzgall;1167590]Our jacklines are nothing more then a length of webbing. We tie the bow end to a pad eye with an overhand knot, and the back end is secured to a cleat. Why would it need to be any more complicated than that???

I think the OP misspoke. The picture is of a Tether. As to jack lines, webbing should really be tied with a water knot and if possible run thru the pad eye up front so as not to have 2 more knots. As to the webbing, most of it is Nylon tubing and it stretches way too much.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 18:06   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

they look great

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:08   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seems to me that they would work just fine !! but I believe some of ya are missin the boat with your jack lines !! Ya want em Tight!! and haveing to change your hook up is normaly needed with tight jack lines ! hence the use of two hook ups on your safety harness ! at least I have always had them that way !! one jack line bow to stern will maybe be to loose for my likes !! I like mine run through eyes along the way !! so theres never enough slack to let ya go overboard(which is the idea of jack lines ) just my 2 cents !! The wife and I hook up when ever we are on deck alone, or if it's even a little rough
Old 24-02-2013, 19:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Let me be clear, life sac Inglis equipment is absolutely NOT THE PLACE TO TRY AND SAVE MONEY.

My issues with these:

1) is that high strength webbing, or cheap crap
2) is the webbing UV stabalized like the expensive ones.
3) the shackles are not rated to the expected load
4) unless you have a lot of structual stitching experience is the stitching high enough quality to take the expected loads
5) is the thread UV stabalized and high strength?

Hanging a 200lbs weight from it is not a test of these. The real test of jacklines is not a static test, but shock loading. The loads exerted by a 200lbs man applied to a jackline can exceed 3000lbs of shock load. Just remember these are the equipment of last resort to save your life, they are not the place to try and save a few bucks.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 04:26   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Our jacklines are nothing more then a length of webbing. We tie the bow end to a pad eye with an overhand knot, and the back end is secured to a cleat. Why would it need to be any more complicated than that???

Chris
Simple, most 1" cheap webbing isnt up to the job and the shock load. Thats before theres significant strength loss due to abrasion, UV etc.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:13   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
NOT THE PLACE TO TRY AND SAVE MONEY.
I think its a great place to save money.

Much safety equipment is hugely overpriced just because its coloured red/yellow!

If you walk down the aisle in Westmarine (et al) stocking safety kit its as long as the Junk Food aisle in a supermarket!

I can buy a LED torch in the safety aisle for $50 or $5 in a hardware store... I can buy a fire extinguisher for $56 or $25 in a hardware shop.
4 tapered wooden plugs for thru hull fittings: $16 or free if you are a handyman
Fire Balanket $48 or $33 on Amazon.... First Aid kits... $$$$$ orr $$

If you want to save money look at safety equipment! Do you need it? Is there a cheaper version in a non marine store? Can you make it yourself? Do you need new or is second hand oK?

Mark

Old 25-02-2013, 08:28   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I think its a great place to save money.
ONLY, when you understand the trade-offs
Old 25-02-2013, 08:49   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
ONLY, when you understand the trade-offs
A great example of trade off is buying an EPIRB at $1,502 or 3 PLBs at $409 each = $1,227

Dont be led like a lamb to slaughter by marketing.... use brains, increase safety and save money at the same time.

Old 25-02-2013, 08:51   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
A great example of trade off is buying an EPIRB at $1,502 or 3 PLBs at $409 each = $1,227
of a GME epirb at 330 euros!.

and of course you realise that PLBs are dealt with differently to EPRIBS, have different specs , battery life , float free etc.

Like I say , once you understand the tradeoffs.
Old 25-02-2013, 09:01   #15

The jacklines in a bag at West Marine run ~ $2/ft ...tubular nylon used for climbing at REI is $.36/ft. Granted, it's a nice bag, and mine is just a ziploc....

To rig them, I use pad eyes and cleats...winch to make em tight. Designed to use a water knot and be tied under full body weight according to the climbing folks.

I view tethers differently. Quick release hardware, shock absorbing elastic and breakable stitch points are well thought-out safety features I was willing to pay for. When you fall across the wet deck and get snatched by your tether/jackline the shock load is pretty tremendous...a lot more than body weight...both you and the nylon are at risk of breaking if not done with the proper material. I didn't search around at the time I bought my tethers, but I imagine that rescue/climber/construction/industrial safety supply stores might have an equal alternative at less than marine prices.

I'm less experienced and probably more risk averse than many here. If I have to go forward and would 'need' jacklines, I've screwed up somehow to get to that decision point...I use them anyway. Uncontrollable stuff happens..but most of the time, prior mitigation prevents the worst situations. I use tethers/jacklines in the cockpit when I'm offshore/at night/fishing/cold/alone...pretty much when I think that 'it would be a bad thing if I went over'. Even if the jacklines aren't currently rigged, there are a lot of places to clip in the cockpit that would keep me out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
The wife and I hook up when ever we are on deck alone, or if it's even a little rough
You ole' dog you...
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines