Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39   #1

Help on obtaining meds from Florida to Trinidad and in between please

Anyone on High Blood Pressure tablets? Recently been put on medication for this and at the end of this month we are away from UK for 7 months sailing from US to Bahamas and onward to Trinidad. How easy is it to get medication, does one need to visit a Dr everywhere, does one need copy/prescription to take to pharmacy? UK doctors are reluctant to give more than 3 months medication at a time. Research on internet but no information. Any ideas please?
Kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Help on obtaining meds from Florida to Trinidad and in between please

just take your perscription, in the islands pharmacists are only too happy to help,don't know about the usa,but if you have someone in the uk they could post the following 3 month meds.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36   #3

Unable to post meds from UK because we do not know where we will be and when. How much do pharmacists charge - approx. ? And will there be the same help on all islands? What about Florida/Georgia?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

My Doc was happy to give me tabs for an extended voyage a few years ago - you may find that your BP drops to normal levels once you're sailing and lose a bit of weght, mine did!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:19   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
My Doc was happy to give me tabs for an extended voyage a few years ago - you may find that your BP drops to normal levels once you're sailing and lose a bit of weght, mine did!
How true
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaja View Post
Unable to post meds from UK because we do not know where we will be and when. How much do pharmacists charge - approx. ? And will there be the same help on all islands? What about Florida/Georgia?
perscription drugs are generally cheap in the islands,most of the ex uk islands have daily flights out of london,and well served with fed ex,that only takes a couple of days,best get someone send them out.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59   #7
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
You will find it expensive in the US as you will need a doctors visit, up to 85$, to get blood pressure script filled...everywhere else it will simply be a matter of showing your prescription and will be cheaper than in the UK.

Make sure your GP writes you a renewable prescription with an end date after you expect to return home

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:34   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

In Mexico, you will need to buy a prescription (without a physical) from the "pharmacist". This will cost you about 200 pesos (about $20 USD). No need to show any home obtained script, as long as you know the name brand and the generic name of your drugs. Drugs are relatively cheap in Mexico.
In the US, you'll need to visit a physician and have a physical prior to obtaining a prescription. Unless you are covered by a recognizable/billable insurance plan, drugs are very expensive in the US. Doctors will write you 3 months scripts with another 3 months renewal, to conform to insurance plans.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43   #9

Don't know what it takes to get a prescription here (US), but in Florida, Publix (a grocery chain) has been supplying prescription antibiotics for free, and someone told me yesterday that they have extended that to some blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Haven't checked personally, but it's worth looking into if you wind up here.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02   #10

Thanks to all for your responses. Interesting information.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaja View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. Interesting information.
Over here our healthcase system whilst broadly the same is a little bit different from the UK. Mostly that all our GP's are private (albeit subsidised).

I mention that because if you visit a Doctor privately (i.e. you pay for the visit) he may well be more open to giving out a longer prescription (at least of "dull" meds )....in the past I have had 6 months of Meds with no problem at all, once the reason was explained (me not here!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 13:34   #12

Our boat is in Panama, and we need to fill US prescriptions for blood pressure. Has anyone taken their US prescription to the phamacy in Panama and had it filled?

Susan from Erie Sprit
susan 238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 14:52   #13

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

I always take at least a 6 mo supply of any meds. In the States you will need a US Doctors prescription and I've found that to be the same on most islands in the Leewards and British Virgins.

Cost is generally less and it typically makes up the cost of seeing a Doc on island for a prescription. Most Drug Stores will be happy to supply you a 14 day supply if you have your old med container.

Many of the islands are independent countries and they each have different laws but almost all will require an on island doctors authorization for more than a couple of weeks meds.
Old 11-01-2013, 15:02   #14
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Found this article Panama - Prescriptions / Medications | ExpatFocus.com which states that you should be able to get the blood pressure medicine, although probably generic, over the counter. There was also this from TripAdvisor, is my prescription legal in panama? - Panama Forum - TripAdvisor which states that "The best place to take it would be a Rey supermarket. They have good (as in well stocked) pharmacies, and their pharmacists, while strictly compliant with Panamanian laws, tend to be the most knowledgeable." Sorry to provide only links but no personal experience with Panama. Providing the links as some may not have fast internet and google searches sometimes bog down. My personal experience with Europe has been mixed and currently am looking at an expensive trip home to renew a prescription for an expensive drug only marketed in the US.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida