Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Healthcare/Surrogate Directive Documents

While I have placed this inquiry on another site, I thought I would try here as well in hopes of finding someone living in or acquainted with the rules/laws governing healthcare directives or surrogates in the BVI that can advise me.

In July our 19 YO daughter will be joining my wife's cousin's family in the BVI for a two week charter to help look after their children. Our concern is how we/my daughter can give them the authority to authorize health care services/measures for her in the event that she becomes ill or is injured during her visit. I have sent inquiries to both the US Consulate for the BVI as well as various BVI Healthcare and governmental agencies concerning the matter without receiving any responses and I have spent several daze looking for information on the subject on the Internet but, thus far, I have not been able to come up with anything. If anyone has had any occasion to deal with this issue, I would appreciate any insight/suggestions. On a worse case basis we will send her off with acknowledged healthcare directive and surrogate authorizations and HIPPA release forms from Florida, where we live, but I would prefer to have something that pertains, specifically, to the legal system in the BVI, just in case. (We have already purchased travel and emergency medical and evacuation service insurance coverage for her.)

Any contacts in the BVI or experienced insights will be appreciated.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote